• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hydraulic roller - rocker assembly suggestion

Garceau

Local time
5:03 AM
Reaction score
Never messed with a hydraulic roller cam previously.

Looking for suggestions/feedback for a street driven rocker system.

Obviously there are a few to choose from - I've had many types in the past for solid rollers But nothing that saw the miles or heat cycles of a street driven vehicle. Looking for something that once set holds valve lash for the duration.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Is there a reason you feel you need adjustable valve train? If your running hydraulic roller you can get away with the stock stamp steel rockers unless you’ve got something really wild with the correct length pushrods. Same kind of deal as a hydraulic flat tappet. Their slightly pre-loaded lifters so once you have them set your done. I’ve successfully run hydraulic roller cams that weren’t too wild with stock rockers before with custom length push rods and it worked very well. The advantage is the stamped steel rockers are very light. Just my 2 cents.

Is there a reason you feel you need adjustable valve train? If your running hydraulic roller you can get away with the stock stamp steel rockers unless you’ve got something really wild with the correct length pushrods. Same kind of deal as a hydraulic flat tappet. Their slightly pre-loaded lifters so once you have them set your done. I’ve successfully run hydraulic roller cams that weren’t too wild with stock rockers before with custom length push rods and it worked very well. The advantage is the stamped steel rockers are very light. Just my 2 cents.

Not particularly. Cam isn't too wild .544/.541

Just looking for longevity. Never gave much thought to the hydraulic set up being preloaded and should be gentler on valvetrain vs solid roller.

First time going with a hydraulic roller set up. Always ran solids in other set ups

That’s not massive cam. You could get away with stock stamp steels I think.
Comp still has a couple versions of adjustable rockers also I’ve used without any issues.
I’ve got a fairly big solid roller in my stroker 440 and ya is harder on valve train for sure. If you watch engine masters on motor trend on demand they are running a hydraulic roller cam with solid lifters. They figured with the less aggressive lift grind it would be the ultimate street setup. I’m tempted to try that on my next build.

Auto Transport Service
Back