• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hypothetical wheel question

guy gadbois

Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
Let's say someone, hypothetically naturally , was wanting to change tyres and wheels on his car. Just for the sake of argument, lets say its on, oh..I dunno...maybe a 67 Belvedere. In green. And hypothetically, lets say he has read the threads on tyres and has decided that since he -hypothetically - wants redlines, he has decided that he should look at Diamondbacks as they come highly recommended on this forum. IF this hypothetical person was to want some Mag 500's, what would the suggestion be from this august band of experts? This [hypothetical] person would be asking this because he has had a very bad experience in the past with a brand new set of 'reproduction' Pontiac Rallye IIs and wouldnt want a repeat. Our hypothetical questioner is thinking 15 X 7 btw with 70 series tyres if that would make any difference...

15X7 on a 67 Belvedere is a good choice. Tire size that I use is 225 70R 15. I'm not sure now what backspacing on the wheels, but I'm thinking they are 3 1/2 or maybe 4.
20200212_125247.jpg
20200212_125034.jpg

I found that 225-70x15 on the front of my '67 R/T would rub the frame rail on full turn. Switching to 215-70 cured it. I don't know back space of rims, but they were 15x7 Torque Thrust. I agree with choice of Diamondback redlines over Coker, due to bad experience I had with latter.

Thanx guys - one vote for Wheel Vintiques. From what I - um, I mean our hypothetical questioner - have been able to deduce, there seems to be just a couple of manufacturers. Looks like Wheel Vintiques, Specialty Wheel and Legendary; looks like most of the other vendors use one of those. Coker appears to be a 'WV' unit after careful inspection and many of the other vendors appear to use Specialty. Only Wheel Vintiques makes a point of 'Made In America' , which obviously I would prefer. Not sure about Year One, but thats where the problem Pontiac wheels came from as I remember [on the car when I got it] so I would be [hypothetically] a bit gunshy there.
The aluminum 'Mag 500s' look really cool, but thinking the more OE look as the old car is pretty original. All hypothetically of course, given the prices of replacing perfectly good, almost new Torq Thrust IIs and Radial T/As...

Coker owns Vintiques and Specialty, and have also bought a lot of smaller-volume tire makers. I heard they closed Specialty. Last set of 500s I bought came from Holley (Ebay purchase) of all places.
15x7s will almost certainly have a 4.25" BS; all of mine from the aftermarket have, whether Magnums or Rallyes.
There's another recent thread going on Magnums, more info there.

FINALLY remembered the other name - Stockton Wheel; any experience there? Appreciate the comments and recommendations.

Bought from them many years ago, and was happy - don't know if they're still around or bought up or ???

Still around according to their website...and have been for over 100 years!
PLUS...they have real 'chrome reverse' wheels! have been thinking quite a while about those and a 'period' Day Two look... :)

Auto Transport Service
Back