• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I’ve never been so proud of myself, ha ha

pearljam724

Local time
11:10 AM
Reaction score
Even though I consider myself mechanically sound on a do it yourself level. I’ve never worked on cars for a living or very regularly at all for that matter. Since the day I bought my car. About a year and 3k miles ago. The tranny would never kick down. Otherwise, it shifted well. I tried everything imaginable to no avail to get it to work. Tweeked pressures and adjustments a thousand times. Nothing worked.
As a last resort, I decided to rebuild the 904 auto tranny myself having known very little about transmissions prior. I decided, if I screw something up worst or it still doesn’t work. I ll take it to a professional afterward. I studied the 904 for a couple weeks prior to my decision.
I rebuilt it, still installed under the car. With no lift, only raising the car on jack stands.
Polished all valve body valves, polished governor weight. Disassembled and cleaned valve body. Replaced actuator and accumulator seals, replaced tail housing bushing/seal and fixed all other leaks with replacement seals. I probably have 4-8 hours invested total stretched out over a week or so. I buttoned it back up. Took it out on the nearest highway. Hammered down. Holly ****, it works !!! Ya hoo !!!!
Saved myself a little over a grand too.

Last edited:
I shared this story. Hoping to help others out there. That are in similar circumstances. These transmissions are as easy to rebuild and adjust as a carburetor is. I love em, lol ! This technology should have never been superseded. Torqueflites are every bit as good as a modern transmission. Minus, overdrive. I particularly like, the easy to adjust shifting points. Your engine can run like a tird or feel like you’ve added a hundred horsepower. Depending how high and where the pressures are adjusted or not.

Last edited:
I'm going to attempt a 727, my first time rebuilding a transmission. Hope it goes as well as yours did! 440'

Please don’t polish the valves. It just makes more clearance and less sealing.

Good job on the working transmission!!! Ask questions and read, then try to do these repairs yourself.

I'm going to attempt a 727, my first time rebuilding a transmission. Hope it goes as well as yours did! 440'
It will go well, bud. Just look over manuals, videos, etc for a couple weeks prior. Save pictures of valve body internals in manuals, etc. What I suggest to anyone. Like mine, it may not be necessary to remove the tranny. You can easily determine the condition of the bands without removing them. Just remove valve body and band pins. This way you can determine if they need replaced or not. You can see the linings this way. The transmission would need to be removed if it’s required to replace clutch plates or bands. But, with shifting problems. Rather than slippage. The valves need polished due to extremely small scratches, slight corrosion or varnish over 50 years. People don’t change tranny fluid often enough either. Fluid collects clutch and band particles also causing sticking valves. Same goes for governor weight. My fluid was clean as a whistle. But, I discovered scratches that were hardly noticeable on the governor weight and valve body valves. Barely noticeable, but caused sticking. I wet sanded them smooth with 2K grit.

Last edited:
Please don’t polish the valves. It just makes more clearance and less sealing.

Good job on the working transmission!!! Ask questions and read, then try to do these repairs yourself.
I understand this. That’s why you don’t get carried away. A few laps around valves with 2 - 2500 grit, wet. Just enough to clean and smooth. It’s steel

Last edited:
There is a very good series of videos on youtube that cover a complete rebuild of the 727. I watched the entire group of videos. Good stuff.

There is a very good series of videos on youtube that cover a complete rebuild of the 727. I watched the entire group of videos. Good stuff.
Yes, sir. That 727 video helped me a ton. Very informative. 904 is identical

After I posted the one above I realized it wasn't the series I watched.

I shared this story. Hoping to help others out there. That are in similar circumstances. These transmissions are as easy to rebuild and adjust as a carburetor is. I love em, lol ! This technology should have never been superseded. Torqueflites are every bit as good as a modern transmission. Minus, overdrive. I particularly like, the easy to adjust shifting points. Your engine can run like a tird or feel like you’ve added a hundred horsepower. Depending how high and where the pressures are adjusted or not.
great job see what happens if you read a book you did all the basics in repair to be successful.

great job see what happens if you read a book you did all the basics in repair to be successful.
Now hey, take it easy. Nobody, said anything about reading books. When I said, “studied.” That involved a dozen pictures saved from manuals online, a video and Googled pictures saved to my phone. He he

Last edited:
You've got more bravery than I. I grew up the son of a machinist and car guy shade tree. I can turn a wrench, but would never attempt what you achieve. Thanks for sharing and when I need a transmission rebuild you will be the first I contact.

I've heard that they are easy to rebuild, I've never done one but would love to try. Maybe one of these years I'll get a chance???

You've got more bravery than I. I grew up the son of a machinist and car guy shade tree. I can turn a wrench, but would never attempt what you achieve. Thanks for sharing and when I need a transmission rebuild you will be the first I contact.
Thanks, Bill. Kind of you to say. I know exactly what you’re saying. I’ve learned in life, though. We intimidate ourselves with things in general. If we just throw caution to the wind. We often find, things are a lot easier to accomplish than we originally thought. In fact, it can be shockingly easy.

I've heard that they are easy to rebuild, I've never done one but would love to try. Maybe one of these years I'll get a chance???
You only live once. I never did a complete engine rebuild. That’s the only thing I’ve never accomplished, that I wanted to. I’ve done top end rebuilds, etc. But, nothing involved in removing a crank. I know I can do it. I could never do these things. Because, my whole life I went without a garage. So, I tinkered in the most uncomfortable places. I built a garage a little over a year ago.
Hell, with torqueflites. You could track a used one down and rebuild one on your porch or under a car port. Then just swap them out when your done.

Auto Transport Service
Back