• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I am an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!

It's not YOU,it's ,,,,,,,,,we,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's US:angryfire:

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 226
That sucks... Don't worry though we all have had similar problems... Last year we were painting my car when the sun came out so I had to back out of the drive way turn around and pull back in to keep it in the shade. The problem was the windows were covered and I sorta hit the side of our van, just took a little paint off my car, luckily we were painting and 5 minutes later you would never have known, but the van still had a dent...

yeah..i can't stop thinking about it...mother f-er..:puke:

Listen...these things happen...DO NOT lose any sleep over it...I know it is hard to do but get it fixed and carry on...when we had our 1966 Malibu I took it to the store one day...parked way away from all the other cars but some fat *** rammed her shopping cart against the driver's door...of course she did not stick around but a fellow saw her do it and gave me her plate number...I called the cops but they did not do a thing about it...did not turn it in to my insurance but had the dent taken out and the door resprayed...cost $575.00...I could not sleep for because of this stress...was not eating and kept dwelling on it...once the car was fixed it was like a heavy wet blanket was lifted from my shoulder...you have friends here and those of us who have gone thru this truly do feel your pain...Marla

Attachments

• Our 1966 Malibu.jpg
    Our 1966 Malibu.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 206
I hit in the same place for the same reason a couple days before i sprayed my car, granted it was before paint, but just as hot about it.. guess we have to face it, our cars have big hips.. shags right, body man will do wonders.. One thing it taught me, ive never done it again.. I remember that each time i pull in and back out.

he probably wont like me much for that one,,,,ORRRRRR... he will.....lets tune in and find out!:hello2:

Out side of me doing what i did backing in that day, seems each time i do i remember you, and what you said about these cars, you showed this picture
t4922.gif
and said something like, "look at her hips! I see it like a sexy looking women!" Remember? Well looking down the back of mine here
Picture2006820Medium20Custom.gif
i see fat hips and laugh everytime i back in.. You had me laughing pretty hard that day you told me that!

i wish i could back in, except my garage enters into my kitchen (along with exhaust fumes).
I talked w/ a recommended b/shop guy and he told me it'd have to have the panel repainted.
I reached out to the owner once removed (guy who sold to guy who i bought from). He bought her from the owner who restored and cloned it in Canada. He's going to get me the contact info from him. Hopefully with any luck I can score a paint code.
The body shop i went to restores chrysler 300 letter cars and told me that Chrysler re-uses paint code numbers for different cars/colors. He gave me an example of a 2010 Jeep Wrangler (Orange) has same numerical paint code for a 75 beige.

yeah..i can't stop thinking about it...mother f-er..:puke:

I know this does not help but when I was putting in my dome light from the inside a couple years back.The screw was 1/16 longer and a week later my buddy wanted to see the car and when I pulled the cover off there was a outy right in the middle of the roof ( my car is black and you can see it from every angle like a rock on a glassy pond ). Lost a lot of sleep but finally got a guy to tap it down and I cant even see it at all. Cost me $50 but would of paid a lot more. Hopefully time will heal it because $hit happens. Good luck.

Went to the Paint shop today... Well ,he's going to have to shoot the whole fender....costing a few hundred....

A few thoughts here:

1) Under the heading of misery loves company:
I have over $10,000 in the body work and paint in my 1960 Corvette. Moved it from one garage bay to another and the "skates" (one under each wheel with casters) got caught on the transition into the garage. This SHOT the &^%$! skates into to both rear wheel lips and actually broke out a piece of fiberglass. I was sick...

2) Under the heading of "you are an idiot":
If you are an idiot, then so are all the rest of us. Like everyone has said, it happens to all the time. It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but there is not much to do about it.

3) Under the heading of alternatives:
(a) You could drive an old, used Toyota Tercel and not worry about it.
(b) You could finish your car and hermetically seal it somewhere so nothing can touch it.
In my opinion, both of those options suck, so this brings us back to the having to deal with the occasional issue.

One final note on paint codes: Depending on when your car was painted, the paint code may no longer perfectly match your paint since it can fade over time. There are auto body shops that have these gizmos that can "read" your actual paint color and make up paint that matches perfectly. I haven't personally done this, and there may be variations on how well this works. However, at least one guy I spoke to last year at a car show had great success with it. This may be something to research and consider...

Hawk

A few thoughts here:

1) Under the heading of misery loves company:
I have over $10,000 in the body work and paint in my 1960 Corvette. Moved it from one garage bay to another and the "skates" (one under each wheel with casters) got caught on the transition into the garage. This SHOT the &^%$! skates into to both rear wheel lips and actually broke out a piece of fiberglass. I was sick...

2) Under the heading of "you are an idiot":
If you are an idiot, then so are all the rest of us. Like everyone has said, it happens to all the time. It may be a bitter pill to swallow, but there is not much to do about it.

3) Under the heading of alternatives:
(a) You could drive an old, used Toyota Tercel and not worry about it.
(b) You could finish your car and hermetically seal it somewhere so nothing can touch it.
In my opinion, both of those options suck, so this brings us back to the having to deal with the occasional issue.

One final note on paint codes: Depending on when your car was painted, the paint code may no longer perfectly match your paint since it can fade over time. There are auto body shops that have these gizmos that can "read" your actual paint color and make up paint that matches perfectly. I haven't personally done this, and there may be variations on how well this works. However, at least one guy I spoke to last year at a car show had great success with it. This may be something to research and consider...

Hawk
good point...just pissed at myself. As far as the digital paint decipher code- i asked the b/shop guy and he said they no longer use them

Call around to various bodyshops even paint supply stores! They still use the paint match guns!!

that's great...i'm sunk if i can't find out the paint code

maybe not..
here is something to think about
is the paint cracked in any place or broken thru?
if not, you might be able to find someone really good with paintless dent repair and get some acceptable results.
you can get behind that dent very easy.

the only beef with that is you need to find someone
with alot of experiance with it.
i have been tempted to play around with it some myself
on some of my own junk
you could try that first,
before going the route of shooting the panel again with paint??

Out side of me doing what i did backing in that day, seems each time i do i remember you, and what you said about these cars, you showed this picture
t4922.gif
and said something like, "look at her hips! I see it like a sexy looking women!" Remember? Well looking down the back of mine here
Picture2006820Medium20Custom.gif
i see fat hips and laugh everytime i back in.. You had me laughing pretty hard that day you told me that!

I REMEMBER... thats what i see when i look at mopars....sexy lines. our cars look different from different angles. !:headbang: A '68 charget R/T has theeeeeee sexxiest hips i think !

Don't feel bad, thats what body guys are for. I can't find my photo but last fall I put a 360 through the back window of my Dakota unloading it from the bed. I had the hoist holding the engine up and was driving the truck out from under the engine when it caught the bed side. I threw the truck in park but ended up between P and R...it chose R as I got out of the truck to adjust the engine....by the time I got my hand on the shifter the block was stopped by my seat back. They had to replace the back of the cab....~$1500

maybe not..
here is something to think about
is the paint cracked in any place or broken thru?
if not, you might be able to find someone really good with paintless dent repair and get some acceptable results.
you can get behind that dent very easy.

the only beef with that is you need to find someone
with alot of experiance with it.
i have been tempted to play around with it some myself
on some of my own junk
you could try that first,
before going the route of shooting the panel again with paint??
i have one of the best dent guys coming tomorrow. the paint is cracked, but i sent a pic to my childhood friend who's father has owned a b/shop in my old town for 40 years. They have always done full resto's on classic cars and several cars that appeared in magazines like Corvette Fever. His dad wants me to bring the car up on Thursday.

If there isint any cracks in the paint with the dent, chances are that when you attempt to pop it back out, thats when it would crack, It can be done, im not saying it cant, i have one body mold block that honestly looks like it would fit back in there and do it. If it were mine i would, i would not for someone else though.. And djais, if you get the right paint man he can match that up even if you do need to have the whole panel done.

I waited to long and posted anyway, you already have the cracks in paint, but as crazy as this is, try to take it easy on yourself, its a problem but not one to ruin the ride of your choice for any great length of time.. I know personally a guy who got the car of his dreams and wrecked it so bad it was rendered totaled.. You arent close to that misery, lousy yes, you'll laugh one day back at this..

i have one of the best dent guys coming tomorrow. the paint is cracked, but i sent a pic to my childhood friend who's father has owned a b/shop in my old town for 40 years. They have always done full resto's on classic cars and several cars that appeared in magazines like Corvette Fever. His dad wants me to bring the car up on Thursday.

that sucks its cracked
i've seen a few miracles done with paintless repair first hand
it impressed me enough to want to try it out myself.
don't feel bad,
someone good with metal should be able to fix it with no mud
as it is in a real easy place to get to.
it sounds like you are in good hands
good luck

Auto Transport Service
Back