• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I bought a rarity yesterday... 1965 B/RB pushbutton transmission with the slip yoke

Snook

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
These are rare and it will need a total rebuild with 66 and later input for modern TQ converters. Could not pass it up for a core price. The one in MAXIMVS is a 1965 slip yoke PB trans as well. It's going to get a freshen up with a billet steel front drum, RMVB and updated guts (steel planetaries, etc)

Chuck (snook)

I have one out of a 64 that also has the cable floor shift. Should be the same transmission just different shift and cables if someone is looking for one, big block also

'66 727 still had small input shaft like PB trans. You have to find '67 and up for large input.

Good score. Been racing 65 pushbuttons for years. No need for a steel planet until you either run a trans brake, or are well over 800hp. The best input shaft and reaction shaft support would be 71 and up non lock-up. They will fit the aftermarket wide bushing drum. With a manual valve body you can discard the rear pump gears. All the other stock stuff works fine. You can update the rear clutch piston and spring. But I've never broke a early one. Same with 3 pin planets. they hold up fine.
Doug

Good score. Been racing 65 pushbuttons for years. No need for a steel planet until you either run a trans brake, or are well over 800hp. The best input shaft and reaction shaft support would be 71 and up non lock-up. They will fit the aftermarket wide bushing drum. With a manual valve body you can discard the rear pump gears. All the other stock stuff works fine. You can update the rear clutch piston and spring. But I've never broke a early one. Same with 3 pin planets. they hold up fine.
Doug
I agree with DVW. The '71 inputs are the way to go as far as strength and convertor selection. Most stock parts will hold up well if you know how to treat the trans during the crucial burnout sessions.

Snook--so glad to put this 65 PB tranny in your hands. I also have the drive shaft and cross member and tons of other stuff.Darrel and I have been friends for many years--if you get over to Ft Pierce you should stop by--who knows what we may solve--I look forward to meeting you--is your car streetable?? Love to see it.

I also notice in the picture above your member info a 63 Plymouth--I have 3 of them--an original factory 2drht--a wagon with a 413 and a modern 426 max wedge 5-speed OD stick convertible--They are my favorite year Plymouths

61 dodge to 5-18-18 010.JPG

100_0025.JPG

61 dodge to 5-18-18 009.JPG

100_0010.JPG

Hey Don, thanks for parting with the trans, I've been looking for a backup for a few years now. I think I met you before years ago when I was living in PSL, when Kevin was around. The car will be streetable when I get the leaks under control, 4 bolt valve covers and shift/park cables are a real PITA. I spent some time under the car fixing the trans leaks with Raychem, so I hope they are manageable now. Working on the valve cover leaks now. This is my old race car that I put back on the street. I recall you having a black 64 or 65? Mine is almost ready for the street, still need to get the front end alignment done.

Chuck (snook)

Snook--so glad to put this 65 PB tranny in your hands. I also have the drive shaft and cross member and tons of other stuff.Darrel and I have been friends for many years--if you get over to Ft Pierce you should stop by--who knows what we may solve--I look forward to meeting you--is your car streetable?? Love to see it.
You're welcome to come over anytime. Love to see your stable as well, especially the wagon, got a soft spot for those. I go to Ft. Pierce often, I'd be glad to swing by when you're available.

Chuck (snook)

look forward to it Chuck--4700 Sunrise Blvd

Auto Transport Service
Back