• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I cant figure out whats wrong with my oil pressure and temp gauges!

74Runneer

Local time
7:58 PM
Reaction score
74 Road runner 318 auto Ralley gauges.

So about a month ago I sent my gauges in to bobs speedometer and he fixed and calibrated my who gauge cluster because my fuel temp oil and batt gauges werent working. I got it back and installed to and now my fuel gauge works and I havent hooked any wires up to the batt gauge. I was expecting this because the previous owner put in a set of aftermarket gauges (temp, oil, batt) and i assumed the others werent hook up properly. Tonight I bought a new electronic oil sender unit and installed it instead of the aftermarket mechanical one. I looped wire around it and then put it in the correct location on the bulkhead. I then check for continuity from the sender unit to the stud on the back of the oil gauge and found out it was continuous. The ground wire on the cluster is hooked up and should indeed be grounding. I start the car up let it run for a couple mins and rev it and the oil pressure reads nothing.

I then did the same thing with the temp sender but i just used the one that was already on the car instead of buying a new one. I did the same thing with the same results as above.

What i thought was weird was that when i checked continuity from the oil sender to the bulkhead under the dash, it would read continuous whether i touched the oil or the temp prong (right next to eachother) on the bulkhead. It only worked for those two, none of the others.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also how do I hook my batt gauge up?

Thanks

Whats a cvr?

CVR = Constant Voltage Regulator (5 Volts in this case)

First of all, go out and get yourself a good fire extinguisher :icon_wink:.......then come back and take some pics of what you are doing and post them up. I'm an Electrician, and I am finding it hard to follow everything you're doing right now.

Yes, I bought a brand new rte solid state voltage limiter. Ill post some pictures tonight.

Okay, heres what im asking. How do i test my oil sending unit and temp sending unit. I sent my gauges in and they are all supposed to be working correctly. I just bought an oil sending unit (not the light) and hooked it up but its not working. So i want to test the sending units, or even the setup as a whole.

Quick & easy test, remove the sending unit lead and ground it, gauge should full range. If not, there is an open between the sending unit leads and the gauges in question. The fact that the fuel gauge works eliminates the VR as a problem. Verify the gauges are working by grounding the gauge sending unit side stud at the gauge, again, gauge should full range.
Testing the senders, measure the resistance to ground at the sending unit stud. Low range should be about 80ohms, full range about 10ohms.

Okay ill test the gauges tonight. I measured from sending unit to ground with the car completly off and it didnt reading anything, not continuous.

I grounded the leads to both the temp and the oil gauge and they both were pinned when I turned the key to the run position. Is this what you mean by full range? My CRV works as it is brand new. So what is my next step?

I measuring the resistance of the oil sending unit while it was running but when i hooked my dmm from the oil sending unit to the ground, it just read infinity or open.

Auto Transport Service
Back