• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I can't stop laughing at the idiots....

With the increase in car jackings here in the States, I'd be concerned with sitting at one of those charging stations for an extended period of time. It makes for an easy target.

Someone holds you up, where are you going to go?
Agreed.
The last car I would try and hi-jsck is
an EV sitting at a charging station.
But waiting to charge I would think
places one at greater risk of being
held up. Especially at night.

There was an interview broadcast on TV with a media person and an official from Ford.
The Ford guy was asked to comment on the slow sales of EVs and the growing dealer inventories of them.
He said that the segment of the market included “Early adopters” of buyers that snap up new products and that initial sales were THOSE people. Now they are looking at the buyers that buy based on need, price, value and convenience. He didn’t want to outright say it but it sure seemed like he wanted to say “this is a much more difficult segment to convince to buy”.
I’d think that the second group will be a real tough sell. The EVs cost more, have lower resale value and are only convenient if one has a charging station at home.
The infrastructure for gasoline cars is in place and works great. Even with gas stations far apart, a car that runs out of fuel can be made mobile with a few gallons of gas in a couple minutes. There is NO faster or more convenient technology today and there will not be for a long time.

Cami, in Ingersoll, Ontario converted from production of SUV's to building EV delivery vans last year. There were layoffs at the time that the plant was converting production lines for this. Just yesterday, Cami announced a 6 month stoppage of production of these EV vans, due to problems with getting supplies of batteries. Production workers are to be laid off until next April. Recently, they announced the building of a 400,000 sq. ft. facility to build their own batteries.Things are not going too smoothly up here in EV land.

I'm gonna go outside right now , and move my electric scooter out of my garage, away from the forty gallons of fuel ive got in there......,

Batteries are going to save the environment. :lol::BangHead:

This article is from 2015 but no word on the residual effects to the soil....and probably never will be until someone else tries to buy the property and finds out it's a super fund site because of all the chemicals in the soil from the fire.

The most important part from the story IMO

"...
Brian Melcer says lithium isn't easily extinguishable by water, so most of the efforts were geared towards containing the fire instead of extinguishing it.

"That's been mostly what the effort has been, to protect the surrounding buildings and to try and make some progress on the actual fire," Melcer said.

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection was on scene, along with Hazmat crews, to see if the burning chemicals proved to be a risk to the public at large.

"Right now, there's no evacuation order, we're comfortable that there's no hazard to the public," Brian Melcer said.

The company says it is the only North America facility offering thermal recovery for nickel-cadmium batteries...."

But hey...We'll just recycle the 1000's of times more batteries that would be needed for the "green new deal" energy plan...right?

1695100496510.png

I know someone with a Tesla who was involved in a minor fender bender & needed the front fascia panel & a couple other related parts replaced and it took months to get. Fortunately, the car was still drivable until the parts came in. All work had to be done at the dealer too. He also had to have the windshield replaced recently and regular glass companies wouldn't touch it. That also had to be done at the dealer.

Most paint & body shops won't touch a Tesla, either. About the only people that will touch one are the window tint shops.

A lot of Tesla owners are now regretting buying one.

New Zealanders share regrets over buying Teslas
5 million Tesla's have been sold, you don't sell 5 million very expensive cars that are junk, no matter how you advertise. Yes, it is new technology, and yes it takes some adjustment to learn how to identify and schedule charging points on a trip. But millions are doing it and liking the vehicles. I have a buddy that bought a Tesla Plaid It runs faster than my race car. His wife loves it, and she uses it just like her conventional gas vehicle with no problems. We took it to the local straight stretch we used to drag race on as teenagers, and we went to 135 mph and back to zero in approximately 1/8 mile they stop almost as fast as they accelerate. And no spinning tires, no suspension travel, they just go. The internal combustion engine has provided my whole life, I have worked on cars and taught people to work on cars, but I can tell you the handwriting is on the wall, technology has moved on. They will work the bugs out of battery design and charging station availability and the time it takes to charge, just a matter of time. How many paved roads, and gas stations in the USA in 1910? Damn few, but they kept building gasoline cars.

"1900, the United States had 4,000 cars (compared to 20 million horses), but gasoline was still considered a waste by-product of producing kerosene. Pioneering motorists had to take a bucket to the general store, hardware dealer, drugstore or local refinery and fill up from a gasoline barrel."
History of Gas Stations

I read the title and thought it was about the usual suspects but I am in the general forum... Electric stuff has it's place and it should have stayed with tools.
& golf carts

Auto Transport Service
Back