• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Back in August, I took a job because the pension and other retirement benefits are taking too damn long to process. This job is with a different company but with some familiar faces.
My old company, the one that I worked for off and on since 1988, worked as the framing subcontractor for many companies. This one included. The people are great and the job is within 35-40 minutes. I've enjoyed the job to the point where I'm not dreading the return to work each Sunday evening. I don't get angry or sullen thinking about a long commute. The work has been fun. I am not marking time like before. The Pension processing seems to take a long time. I wish that I knew about that ahead of time. It could still take well into next year. I'm fortunate to have this job. I've worked some crappy sites far away from home that leave me pissed off and worn out.

20180424_143732(1).jpg
20180424_143753.jpg
20190405_102308.jpg
x_fmtv_27609.jpg
Up at 3:00 am, 50 mile commute, first pot of
coffee. Minor inconvenience if you love what
you do for a living. Now that I'm retired, I wish
I could start every experience over again with
the exact same enthusiasms. No regrets.
My only hope is my contributions will be
remembered.
God bless our American Veterans. My goal
was tuned to help preserve the combat soldiers'
lives. My son being one of them. Family in the
direct line of fire is quite the motivator.
Phone calls from the sand box heightened
the urgency. One could hear the tears.

Last edited:
Harvesting corn. 6:30AM till 5:00PM 7 days a week for four weeks.

C1D1E370-8BE6-433F-9AED-851A6CDCCD59.jpeg

Back in August, I took a job because the pension and other retirement benefits are taking too damn long to process. This job is with a different company but with some familiar faces.
My old company, the one that I worked for off and on since 1988, worked as the framing subcontractor for many companies. This one included. The people are great and the job is within 35-40 minutes. I've enjoyed the job to the point where I'm not dreading the return to work each Sunday evening. I don't get angry or sullen thinking about a long commute. The work has been fun. I am not marking time like before. The Pension processing seems to take a long time. I wish that I knew about that ahead of time. It could still take well into next year. I'm fortunate to have this job. I've worked some crappy sites far away from home that leave me pissed off and worn out.

I'm glad it's not torture anymore and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I can't for the life of me understand how it could take so long to get all your paperwork in order. I hadn't worked in the outside carpenters union for 25 years when I filed for benefits for retirement and I got my first check direct deposited within two months. The up side is, another day, another dollar. Hang tight!!

Just be careful that the union doesn't screw you on the pension cuz you are working for another company.

I don't understand why such a delay on your pension? Your H.R. dept. should have been
on top of that. Sorry they're jerking you around.

Just be careful that the union doesn't screw you on the pension cuz you are working for another company.
It is still a union company so I am okay. Thanks.

I don't understand why such a delay on your pension? Your H.R. dept. should have been
on top of that. Sorry they're jerking you around.
The union required a Social Security statement for a few of my work years. I applied for the records in April. I still haven’t received them. Seven months and counting.

The union required a Social Security statement for a few of my work years. I applied for the records in April. I still haven’t received them. Seven months and counting.

I needed my SS statement last week and went online and got em within half an hour. Just create a user name, enter some info from yer W2's and you're in. It appears they stopped sending them by mail in 2019 iirc.

SSA.gov

I needed my SS statement last week and went online and got em within half an hour. Just create a user name, enter some info from yer W2's and you're in. It appears they stopped sending them by mail in 2019 iirc.

SSA.gov
or just call them...

SSA.gov
The Carpenters Pension needs a detailed statement that lists all employers for a given year. The regular statement the SSA gives is just wage totals if I recall correctly.

The Carpenters Pension needs a detailed statement that lists all employers for a given year. The regular statement the SSA gives is just wage totals if I recall correctly.

I cannot remember how detailed my report is. Ill check when I get home and see. I think you may be right and it is numbers only. Of course they want to see who you worked for so they can deny you anything they can if you worked for a non-union place.

I cannot remember how detailed my report is. Ill check when I get home and see. I think you may be right and it is numbers only. Of course they want to see who you worked for so they can deny you anything they can if you worked for a non-union place.
Sounds like more screwing for Union members than not. I thought the Union was supposed to protect good standing members not “F” ‘em. Hell, you paid thousand of $ in dues over the years. Who benefited from that?

Of course they want to see who you worked for so they can deny you anything they can if you worked for a non-union place.
That is exactly what they look for. What I wonder about is if there is any wiggle room for when there was no local Union work and a member took a scab job just to hold them over.
The penalty as I recall was simply a delay in the start of the pension payments, not a reduction in them. Something like a delay of starting of one quarter for every month of non union work.

You'd think an organization whose sole purpose was to support their members already would have
thorough records of all your employment history, eh?

They do have records of all union companies that I have worked with. What they are looking for is evidence of Non Union employment.
I wonder if a slick lawyer could get around any of their tactics....

They do have records of all union companies that I have worked with. What they are looking for is evidence of Non Union employment.
I wonder if a slick lawyer could get around any of their tactics....
Question is do they pay your pension from the time you filed? Is all this delay mean they don't pay until the paperwork is done? Are they screw you by delaying paying your pension?

Auto Transport Service
Back