• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

How does that work if you move to a right to work state, as far as working your 480 hours a year and then non union work, am I saying that right?
I don’t know.
The pension will stretch pretty far if we move to Tennessee. I’d do cash jobs off the books if I could.

In my area they can't get enough workers. My house was union built and jobs are easy to find. The St Louis area is a big time union dominated region.

I still don't want to go to work tomorrow.
I don't know if I replied to this before & don't have time to go back through over 600 threads, but " I never did want to go to work in the first place!" Add to that, "My retirement will unfortunately be at death"! I do not, however, feel that bad about it as my job isn't that God awful except for rotating shifts and although I am pushing 70, I work with a guy who is 80 & can't retire either! I am counting my blessings, lol! I suppose if I were able to retire I would do what Peter said he would do, (if he had a million dollars), in one of my absolute favorite movies,"OFFICE SPACE"; which is (I would stay at home & do nothing). To which his friend replies, "You don't need a million dollars to stay home & do nuthin; just look at my cousin". Actually, my favorite thing to do is sleep!
:lol:

The wife will continue to work. I intend to work just as a hobby

SLEEP !
When I sleep in, I often wake up briefly then conk out again. I end up having a series of dreams that are often entertaining. It is like watching short movies for free.

Today I mailed off my Pension application. I requested the application in Feb 2021. They require all sorts of documents including a Social Security earnings statement that took 7 months to get. I've had all the papers here to file since November of last year but have really dragged my feet filling everything out.
I think that my subconscious mind resists the idea of stepping away from the job. I still love it. I'm still healthy enough to do it. I really like having time off to work on cars and house stuff too. I might work a few jobs here and there just to keep in the game.
The processing of the Pension takes awhile to complete. This could take a few months or more. Meanwhile, I'll keep on working.

I beat on you about this and moving, but it's definitely a big deal and needs to be thought out. Congrats on getting closer.

Welp,, as of last night I’m done. 31 1/2 yrs in law enforcement and I’ve finally had enough. Retired!

55lfzq.jpg

I reached my 30 year mark about 2 years ago. I should have started my Pension application process the moment I reached that goal. I would have been coasting for well over a year now but NOOOooooo......I had to drag my feet and put it off.
Let this be a lesson to you.....IF you can afford to retire, do it.
I finally mailed off the papers at the first of June of this year. I'm still working while they process the claim.
Yeah....100 degree days while working outside really sucks. I spent much of my career working where it wasn't so hot in the Summer as it gets in the Sacramento area.
The heat of the Summer and the cold of the Winter are the worst.
I like the work but don't care for the heat. Short breaks in the shade does help a bit.
A couple other Carpenter buddies of mine have also started their application processes as well.
One said that he was told that once the retirement date comes up, you have to stop working on that day or before. Federal law states it. You can return to work in limited hours but the law does not clearly define how long you must be off work before you can return.
Example:
Your date to retire is September 1 2022. On July 31st, you pick up your tools, wave goodbye and drive off.......Then maybe 2 weeks or a month later you return. Technically, you would have had a gap in work of 2 weeks.

I reached my 30 year mark about 2 years ago. I should have started my Pension application process the moment I reached that goal. I would have been coasting for well over a year now but NOOOooooo......I had to drag my feet and put it off.
Let this be a lesson to you.....IF you can afford to retire, do it.
I finally mailed off the papers at the first of June of this year. I'm still working while they process the claim.
Yeah....100 degree days while working outside really sucks. I spent much of my career working where it wasn't so hot in the Summer as it gets in the Sacramento area.
The heat of the Summer and the cold of the Winter are the worst.
I like the work but don't care for the heat. Short breaks in the shade does help a bit.
A couple other Carpenter buddies of mine have also started their application processes as well.
One said that he was told that once the retirement date comes up, you have to stop working on that day or before. Federal law states it. You can return to work in limited hours but the law does not clearly define how long you must be off work before you can return.
Example:
Your date to retire is September 1 2022. On July 31st, you pick up your tools, wave goodbye and drive off.......Then maybe 2 weeks or a month later you return. Technically, you would have had a gap in work of 2 weeks.
The process for me was easy. Had to have at least 15 years in and be 55. I had 26 years and had enough so I went. And if you 'think' you have enough to retire on....double it! Same thing for building a shop lol. Also, it's a good idea to have a 'slush fund' just in case of a divorce if one is married. You just never know when someone's brain is going to turn against ya.

Well I went to work today

37 years of EAA Customers at GRB

They expect more , but want to pay less then last year

Try and negotiate hangar rates and ramp fees and fuel prices

I always wondered if private pilots try and negotiate car gas prices , restaurant prices and groceries

Sorry for the rant

Man it’s getting old and worse then ever

Maybe I should hang her up

Can I retire

Auto Transport Service
Back