• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow.

Well I went to work today

37 years of EAA Customers at GRB

They expect more , but want to pay less then last year

Try and negotiate hangar rates and ramp fees and fuel prices

I always wondered if private pilots try and negotiate car gas prices , restaurant prices and groceries

Sorry for the rant

Man it’s getting old and worse then ever

Maybe I should hang her up

Can I retire
Yes if you can afford to retire.

All this retirement talk makes me envious, and that’s bad for a catholic guy lol.
Unfortunately I have to work about 51/2 more years before I can retire. And the way things are going, I might have to work longer.

I always wondered if private pilots try and negotiate car gas prices , restaurant prices and groceries

Sorry for the rant

Can I retire
I know the feeling. Built a lot of engines and even more rear ends for others over the years and heard all kinds of stuff. At least no one tells me how to build a rear end because most don't know much about them. Engines....everyone is a master engine builder it seems but one guy tried to get me to come down on price on building an 8 3/4 telling me I don't have any overhead since my shop is in my back yard. I was already 1/2 price of most of the shops around here (back then there was only 2 others that I knew of) so I just told him to go to the next closest place without having to drive 50 miles....which didn't do very good work lots of times. He knew of them and changed his mind but too late. My mind was made up not to build it after him saying to me what he did.

I've been retired 11 years. I worry about inflation some now. At the moment I'm losing $3000 a month of buying power of my savings. Wish I could buy Unlimited amount of I bonds, they pay 9+%.

Don't worry about anything, you'll be fine. Been here before and never missed a beat. Remember over the last 100 years the market has averaged over 9 percent. No such thing as a bad day, just an opportunity to buy.

Sat down with my attorney last week, and put my retirement cards on the table. Did my own retirement planning for 45 years, I pay her to critique my results. She told me to pull the trigger, I have no financial reason to work. I am parking the truck for the last time on the 52nd anniversary of driving the '69 Dealer Demonstrator GTX, Labor Day weekend. And looks like I'm going to buy the car after all this time.

Last edited:
Not going in tomorrow either...
20220727_100453.jpg

Last post was April 2nd when there were about 26 working days until retirement. The wife and I both retired on May 12th and then started to do a few construction projects for a couple of friends. Sold our home (took one day) for good money (they took possession yesterday) and are about to leave for a 12-24 month tour of the USA. We will be heading out in a week or two with the truck and trailer to do some well earned camping and exploring areas to build/buy a forever home. Dog (Carbide), who is pretty special to us, will stay behind with my sister as all the traveling on an almost 14 year old lab is a little rough. Once the home and pole barn are secured more B-body restorations will occur. Will post when we can about interesting stuff/locations. Let me say this, both of us miss the people we worked with, we do NOT miss work.! Prices for everything are going up but we planned well and will not change any of our tour. My advice, when you can afford to do it, RETIRE! Life is too short to work it all away.

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6148.jpg

Sorry for the rant

Can I retire
Sounds like a grind. An actual friggan grind. 37 yrs and still get your balls busted. If you can, do it.

I retired on April 26th and don’t miss it at all …… except for the dough. Not having the pressure is worth it to me though.

In the past, if I had a lazy day and did nothing one day during the weekend, I felt guilty about not getting anything done. Now if I have a lazy day, it’s ….. oh well.

I've been retired for 14 years and make more money now than when I worked. Life isn't all that bad!!

I have chosen my retirement date. It wasn't a simple thing though.
I didn't know how long the processing would take so if I chose a date like say....August 1st and then their paperwork wasn't completed until October, I would be off work for a couple of months with no income. I'd be okay but I'd rather not do that.
I had no idea if they are able to meet their stated goal of 60-90 days to process or if the labor shortage has effected them as well, delaying the whole deal. Add onto that.....they warn that they can delay the start of Pension payments if the applicant had worked for a non union employer in the last 20 years. They claimed that they can penalize me 3 months of delay for every single month of non union work. The only times I worked non union were when there were no union jobs nearby. I worked 2 jobs for a short time each more than 13 years ago. Hey...a man needs to provide and I took what I could get.
I talked to a benefits processor and it appears that they could have the paperwork completed by October 1st if I wanted.
When I filled out the paperwork many months ago, I randomly wrote August 1st as my end date.....then I got a call from an old boss and went to work again. I figured that with the processing and possible delay penalties, I'd have to work another 3-5 months.
Nope.
I have tentatively picked October 31st. Wait....that is a Monday so screw that....my last day will not be a Monday!
I'll begin my retirement in November, my birth month. Happy Birthday to ME !

I will need a picture of you holding both your retirement papers, signed and dated along with you holding the days news paper with the date clearly visible to believe it happened. LOL

Last post was April 2nd when there were about 26 working days until retirement. The wife and I both retired on May 12th and then started to do a few construction projects for a couple of friends. Sold our home (took one day) for good money (they took possession yesterday) and are about to leave for a 12-24 month tour of the USA. We will be heading out in a week or two with the truck and trailer to do some well earned camping and exploring areas to build/buy a forever home. Dog (Carbide), who is pretty special to us, will stay behind with my sister as all the traveling on an almost 14 year old lab is a little rough. Once the home and pole barn are secured more B-body restorations will occur. Will post when we can about interesting stuff/locations. Let me say this, both of us miss the people we worked with, we do NOT miss work.! Prices for everything are going up but we planned well and will not change any of our tour. My advice, when you can afford to do it, RETIRE! Life is too short to work it all away.

View attachment 1322601
View attachment 1322603
Man you're living my dream. When the pandemic hit in 2020 the airline I worked for all but shut down and I was turning 65 that year so I had already let them know I was going to throw in the towel at the end of the year. The airline decided to offer a package to let people go since they were bleeding money already, so for once in my life things went my way. Picked up 6 months severance pay and an RMA (retirement medical account) that will pay for the wife and my insurance for a while. We had planned to sell the house and move to the forever home, but then the brother in law had a stroke and can't take care of himself so he lives with us for now until we can get him into assisted living. What do you do. Family comes first, so all plans are on hold for the time being. The neighbor across the street took the dirt nap last month, he was 82 and still working to the day he died. That's not much of a life if you ask me, so take retirement when you can and enjoy life for a while.

I told Mary that I want to take some automotive courses at the Junior College. There is so much that I can learn.

Back on 01 Aug 2022, I said I would post some stuff if it seemed interesting. So here it goes:

This one is of Kinzua Bridge in Pennsylvania (out first stop).

IMG_6825.jpg

This was in New York

IMG_6855.jpg

These still exist (also NY)

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

We met this guy, named "Jack Frost" while in New York. One COOL dog

IMG_6929.jpg

High atop New Hampshire gave us this shot:

IMG_6944.jpg

Then Maine, where we have been for a week

IMG_5494.jpg
IMG_7343.jpg

IMG_7320.jpg

IMG_7048.jpg

More a little later as our connection out here is not the best.

Almost forgot. The one who make this retirement fun! Over 32 years with this gal.

IMG_7297.jpg

I told Mary that I want to take some automotive courses at the Junior College. There is so much that I can learn.
You might try telling your union (or former employer) that you need to be retrained for a new vocation. They will foot the bill for some of the tuition. Also, for example, they might pay pay for a Lincoln Electric training course. It's worth a try.

I know it sounds crazy, but state and federal government agencies have programs set-up for stuff like this.

Or, learn to code.
:p

Auto Transport Service
Back