• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I feel for those of you who don't have tools or expertise. I have plenty of both. But todays experience was beyond frustrating

dvw

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
Went to drop the engine into the turbo Duster today. Last weekend pulled the pan to reweld the oil drain back fitting for the turbo for clearance issues. Fabbed the throttle and kickdown cable brackets for the intake and at the trans, along with a brake line heat shield. Made a shim/engine limiter bracket for the drivers side mount. This car is being done for a friend. This is his first ever real car build. He learns well. But it's still a learning curve for him. So today should've been cake to install the motor and trans. But nooo. Somehow the test fit of the oil pan was missed at the same time as the oil fitting debacle. My fault I should have eyed it myself. So here I'm trimming, welding and metal finishing the previously modified K frame. Also the left manifold is very close to the steering shaft. Ended up removing it during install for clearance. As it turned out it had to be removed, more later. Ok the engine is in lets install the trans. Fluid in the converter, and it slips in in seconds, great. We get it up and the relocated trans vent fitting is crushed by the floorpan. Locate a shorter fitting, but Jeff can't get it to start. By now we are 3 hrs into this deal. He goes to grab us lunch. I cant thread it in either in the 4" space between the tunnel and trans. I grab the 1/8 npt tap clean up the hole and install the fitting. Still to tight. Some air chesel with the blunt bit makes a little room in the tunnel. Attach a hose and we're good. Button up the trans cross memeber and mount. Now back to install the manifold. We knocked off the shaft coupler cover with the exhaust manifold during install. I just reinstalled it as he had knocked it off installing the column. Now I notice he also installed the guts of the coupler 90 degrees off so it has play at the shaft. Pull the column. He says the wheel is upside down. I teel him the shaft is of 180 degreesout of phase. Make sure the key groove for the steering wheel is up. Ok all back together and the wheel is still upside down. He forgotto rotate the shaft. Back apart again. Then to reinstall the dust cover. They suck. On to the shift linkage. It's been sent out to powder coat all assembled. Everything is stuck, adjuster bolt, slides, hair pin clip. Get that all takien care of and adjust the linkage. Next the converter bolts. I have marked the flex plate and the converter. It has extra holes for a symetrical bolt pattern. I explain which holes to use, they are marked 1 thru 4 along with the converter. I explain install one bolt, tighten it down and then back off one turn so there is play. Then install the other 3 bolts and we'll loctite and the tighten them. He tightens the last bolt. Now the engine wont turn. Bolt heads are hitting the block. Why? Because all the bolts are about 1/8" loose. They were not tightened and backed off as instructed. Tightening the last one pulls the converter up agaist the flex plate. This pulls the loose bolts forward hirring the block. A thin wrench allows bolt removal with some difficulty. I decide to chuck the bolts in the lathe and trim the heads .060" for additional clearance. 2nd times a charm. I can't imagine what guys (or girls) do without a good working knowledge of all automotive systems or problem solving do building hot rods. Not to mention tools. I take for granted that I have just about any tool, heated space and a hoist. Anyway tommorow we'll be back at continuing the assembly. Jeff will learn more and I'll be more patient.
Doug

20231220_165425.jpg

20231218_160658.jpg

20231220_181431.jpg

20231220_165542.jpg

It's called being a glutton for punishment. Or more accurately, you enjoy it :lol:

Beautiful work as always.

Im feelin your frustration, went thru similar experience not too long ago "helping" a friend with a Camaro LS swap. Wound up doing it all myself. What a pain.

Saint Douglas... :lol: I feel your pain brother... You help friends hoping they have enough skills to not create more work for ya... Only to discover they don't have the skills to make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich...

my attention span normally fails about 3 sentences into a long post, but this one kept me entertained :popcorn2:

It's great that your being so patient with your friend. The automotive restore/rebuild teaching curve is a steep one. I've always been lucky that, like you, I have pretty much everything I could ever need for tools and such, including a lathe and a mill. But more importantly, I seem to have a lot of patience that I was either born with or learned over time. I've taught a lot of guys different things over the years, and done a lot of jobs, big and small, for other people. I also know how hard working with a "newbee" can become. Truth be told though, I really don't reach out to help guys with the bigger jobs that much anymore. My days of "Sure, bring her over, we'll re and re that motor, tranny and diff. this afternoon!" are gone. Smaller stuff sure, anytime, and if you need advice, ask away. I've pretty much managed over the years to be able to do all of my own work and then some. The problem now seems to be the older I get, I don't have the same drive I once had. I still get out there and get at it, but it seems to take somewhat longer these days. I've lived a somewhat rough and tumble life the last 60+ years and now it's catching up to my body. Long hard days in the shop now lead to painful evenings, sleepless nights and groggy mornings. I have always had through out the years a secret weapon though; my brother. Him and I work so well together that we can almost read each others minds. It's gotten to the point that with the two of us working together for 50 or so years, it's almost impossible for either of us work with anyone else. But even with the both of us going at it, it still seems that things still just take a little more time. And his body is in about the same shape as mine!!

As far as how other people down the road will fare in the hobby, I'm afraid of what will happen when all the "teachers" are gone. Most of my younger neighbors can't even install their own mounted snow tires or do a simple thing like an oil change. That unfortunately means their kids can't do anything either. And the older guys no longer want to or can do the heavy work. I started in this hobby before it was considered a hobby. The cars we drove back then often needed repair, and most every one worked on their own cars because they had to. Cars and parts were plentiful and also relatively cheep. Paying to have something done was unheard of when you were 17. As well everybody's dad, big brother, friend, uncle, cousin and so on knew enough to lend you a hand. We all learned by doing, and passed the information on. Those days sadly seem to be almost gone now. As well, the majority of the younger crowd does not seem to be interested in our type of cars, and they simply cannot afford this hobby.

With the new "cars of the future" coming at us from seemingly all sides, I do sometimes worry that things for us just might not last.

Last edited:
Went to drop the engine into the turbo Duster today. Last weekend pulled the pan to reweld the oil drain back fitting for the turbo for clearance issues. Fabbed the throttle and kickdown cable brackets for the intake and at the trans, along with a brake line heat shield. Made a shim/engine limiter bracket for the drivers side mount. This car is being done for a friend. This is his first ever real car build. He learns well. But it's still a learning curve for him. So today should've been cake to install the motor and trans. But nooo. Somehow the test fit of the oil pan was missed at the same time as the oil fitting debacle. My fault I should have eyed it myself. So here I'm trimming, welding and metal finishing the previously modified K frame. Also the left manifold is very close to the steering shaft. Ended up removing it during install for clearance. As it turned out it had to be removed, more later. Ok the engine is in lets install the trans. Fluid in the converter, and it slips in in seconds, great. We get it up and the relocated trans vent fitting is crushed by the floorpan. Locate a shorter fitting, but Jeff can't get it to start. By now we are 3 hrs into this deal. He goes to grab us lunch. I cant thread it in either in the 4" space between the tunnel and trans. I grab the 1/8 npt tap clean up the hole and install the fitting. Still to tight. Some air chesel with the blunt bit makes a little room in the tunnel. Attach a hose and we're good. Button up the trans cross memeber and mount. Now back to install the manifold. We knocked off the shaft coupler cover with the exhaust manifold during install. I just reinstalled it as he had knocked it off installing the column. Now I notice he also installed the guts of the coupler 90 degrees off so it has play at the shaft. Pull the column. He says the wheel is upside down. I teel him the shaft is of 180 degreesout of phase. Make sure the key groove for the steering wheel is up. Ok all back together and the wheel is still upside down. He forgotto rotate the shaft. Back apart again. Then to reinstall the dust cover. They suck. On to the shift linkage. It's been sent out to powder coat all assembled. Everything is stuck, adjuster bolt, slides, hair pin clip. Get that all takien care of and adjust the linkage. Next the converter bolts. I have marked the flex plate and the converter. It has extra holes for a symetrical bolt pattern. I explain which holes to use, they are marked 1 thru 4 along with the converter. I explain install one bolt, tighten it down and then back off one turn so there is play. Then install the other 3 bolts and we'll loctite and the tighten them. He tightens the last bolt. Now the engine wont turn. Bolt heads are hitting the block. Why? Because all the bolts are about 1/8" loose. They were not tightened and backed off as instructed. Tightening the last one pulls the converter up agaist the flex plate. This pulls the loose bolts forward hirring the block. A thin wrench allows bolt removal with some difficulty. I decide to chuck the bolts in the lathe and trim the heads .060" for additional clearance. 2nd times a charm. I can't imagine what guys (or girls) do without a good working knowledge of all automotive systems or problem solving do building hot rods. Not to mention tools. I take for granted that I have just about any tool, heated space and a hoist. Anyway tommorow we'll be back at continuing the assembly. Jeff will learn more and I'll be more patient.
Doug

View attachment 1576690

View attachment 1576691

View attachment 1576692

View attachment 1576693
Just saw the photos you posted. Very, VERY nice work.

Every classic Mopar owner needs a friend like you. @dvw, judging from what you just shared, you're a frickin' rock star in my opinion :thumbsup:

It's great that your being so patient with your friend. The automotive restore/rebuild teaching curve is a steep one. I've always been lucky that, like you, I have pretty much everything I could ever need for tools and such, including a lathe and a mill. But more importantly, I seem to have a lot of patience that I was either born with or learned over time. I've taught a lot of guys different things over the years, and done a lot of jobs, big and small, for other people. I also know how hard working with a "newbee" can become. Truth be told though, I really don't reach out to help guys with the bigger jobs that much anymore. My days of "Sure, bring her over, we'll re and re that motor, tranny and diff. this afternoon!" are gone. Smaller stuff sure, anytime, and if you need advice, ask away. I've pretty much managed over the years to be able to do all of my own work and then some. The problem now seems to be the older I get, I don't have the same drive I once had. I still get out there and get at it, but it seems to take somewhat longer these days. I've lived a somewhat rough and tumble life the last 60+ years and now it's catching up to my body. Long hard days in the shop now lead to painful evenings, sleepless nights and groggy mornings. I have always had through out the years a secret weapon though; my brother. Him and I work so well together that we can almost read each others minds. It's gotten to the point that with the two of us working together for 50 or so years, it's almost impossible for either of us work with anyone else. But even with the both of us going at it, it still seems that things still just take a little more time. And his body is in about the same shape as mine!!

As far as how other people down the road will fare in the hobby, I'm afraid of what will happen when all the "teachers" are gone. Most of my younger neighbors can't even install there own mounted snow tires or do a simple thing like an oil change. That unfortunately means their kids can't do anything either. And the older guys no longer want to or can do the heavy work. I started in this hobby before it was considered a hobby. The cars we drove back then often needed repair, and most every one worked on their own cars because they had to. Cars and parts were plentiful and also relatively cheep. Paying to have something done was unheard of when you were 17. As well everybody's dad, big brother, friend, uncle, cousin and so on knew enough to lend you a hand. We all learned by doing, and passed the information on. Those days sadly seem to be almost gone now. As well, the majority of the younger crowd does not seem to be interested in our type of cars, and they simply cannot afford this hobby.

With the new "cars of the future" coming at us from seemingly all sides, I do sometimes worry that things for us just might not last.

As far as how other people down the road will fare in the hobby, I'm afraid of what will happen when all the "teachers" are gone. Most of my younger neighbors can't even install there own mounted snow tires or do a simple thing like an oil change. That unfortunately means their kids can't do anything either. And the older guys no longer want to or can do the heavy work. I started in this hobby before it was considered a hobby. The cars we drove back then often needed repair, and most every one worked on their own cars because they had to. Cars and parts were plentiful and also relatively cheep. Paying to have something done was unheard of when you were 17. As well everybody's dad, big brother, friend, uncle, cousin and so on knew enough to lend you a hand. We all learned by doing, and passed the information on. Those days sadly seem to be almost gone now. As well, the majority of the younger crowd does not seem to be interested in our type of cars, and they simply cannot afford this hobby.

Yes, it's true what you say, the limiting cost of these cars is discouraging, and the fact that newer cars you can fine tune a motor with a laptop instead of a screwdriver, and a few wrenches which just shows how disconnected things are now, you don't get that satisfaction of when you figure out how to do it right. I'm not downing the new cars it's evolution. It's a part of automotive history that is gone, and won't ever return. Dodge killed the charger/challenger along with the hemi engine choices. Btw, they stuck a hurricane six in a drag pack challenger, and it was an absolute nightmare of a pig when it took a stroll down a dragstrip

What a good article. Bless you for your patients and teaching. Your work is top of the line. Wish you were my neighbor. We would have a blast.
Have a great holiday. God Bless Ya !

Well today started with Jeff breaking a thread chaser off in the yoke. Fired up the Miller magic and was able to weld a nut to it. The rest of the day went well
A little clearancing of the RF frame rail flange for pipe clearance.stater wiring harness is fabbed. Finish wrapping the down pipe and install tomorrow. Then onto fuel lines and wiring. The basic lines are all the way to the front already. And the wiring? Well it's in the engine compartment.
Doug

20231221_151433.jpg

20231221_151448.jpg

20231221_151501.jpg

20231221_152055.jpg

20231221_151511.jpg

We get it up and the relocated trans vent fitting is crushed by the floorpan. Locate a shorter fitting, but Jeff can't get it to start. By now we are 3 hrs into this deal. He goes to grab us lunch. I cant thread it in either in the 4" space between the tunnel and trans. I grab the 1/8 npt tap clean up the hole and install the fitting. Still to tight. Some air chesel with the blunt bit makes a little room in the tunnel. Attach a hose and we're good.
My Duster also crushes the relocated vent on my 904. This is the second one I've put in. One would think there would be enough room for one but clearly not. This one isn't too bad but the previous one was completely smashed.
IMG_6579.jpg

IMG_6581.jpg

In regards to the steering coupler, the ridiculously expensive Flaming River one below is a smaller diameter which might help with the manifold clearance? No way I'd be able to get my headers on without it. No greasy cover or shoes to mess with on this type either. Can't see you taking the column out again to change the coupler (requires cutting/drilling the steering shaft) but here it is for future reference.
IMG_5397.jpg

When I was at the dealership I learned a slightly different method on the converter bolts. Align the holes properly and thread the offset bolt in just a few threads through the flex plate but not all the way down. Then stick the tip of a pry bar or big flat head screwdriver under the bolt head to pull the converter forward to seat it and then tighten the bolts.

A bodies can be tough to deal with. Even stock-derived stuff can be a PITA to fit. B bodies are like cargo ships compared to our diminutive 'compacts'. But you knew that.

And yes, those of us with the space, tools, equipment, passion and time to do this kind of stuff are fortunate. I remind myself of that every time I walk into my garage.

But here's the thing about that though Doug - I might have the tools and a lift but definitely not your level of knowledge and experience. Truth is not many of us do! These kinds of fitment hurdles can be disastrous to us mere mortals but for you it's all in a day's work.

Either way that car is going to be a killer street machine.

You are a good man dvw. Both with your patience and willingness to help others. Not to mention the quality of work you put out. :drinks:

I can't imagine what guys (or girls) do without a good working knowledge of all automotive systems or problem solving do building hot rods. Not to mention tools.

They'll have to do like you and I did (and many others) trial and error and some bloody knuckles. I had no one to teach me anything.

Jeff's lucky to have someone with the knowledge to help him along :thumbsup:

I've definitely had some beers. We went to our Grandsons Christmas play today. So today Jeff was on his own. Though the exhaust had been installed on the dummy block trans it didn't quite fit. He found the issue. Lopped off the ear on the right side of the trans case and got it hung. The stock radiator fits as well. Though it'll get a thicker aftermarket aluminum unit. Good for him. He's learning. Today I repurposed a aftermarket locking trans dipstick tube to clear the exhaust. Had to cut off the bracket which wasn't even close. It lined up with the block dowel pin hole. Got to love the aftermarket stuff. Straightened and bent the tube about 5". A little tricky without a bender large enough. Fabbed up a bracket. Decided to use the lower 7/16" trans bolt hole. Drilled out the threads so we could run a 3/8" bolt from the trans side. Had to spot face the trans case so the bolt head woud set flush. Used my square end carbide mounted in a angle grinder. Not much room in the car with the torsion bar installed. Eyeballed it for square. Came out good. The oil cooler adapter clears as well. Bracket for the cooler next. We're done until after Christmas. Everyone have great Christmas.
Doug

20231223_140838.jpg

20231223_141127.jpg

20231223_152058.jpg

20231223_154355.jpg

20231223_150102.jpg

20231223_163615.jpg

20231223_162956.jpg

20231223_162323.jpg

Well today started with Jeff breaking a thread chaser off in the yoke. Fired up the Miller magic and was able to weld a nut to it. The rest of the day went well
A little clearancing of the RF frame rail flange for pipe clearance.stater wiring harness is fabbed. Finish wrapping the down pipe and install tomorrow. Then onto fuel lines and wiring. The basic lines are all the way to the front already. And the wiring? Well it's in the engine compartment.
Doug

View attachment 1576979

View attachment 1576980

View attachment 1576981

View attachment 1576983
I've been sitting here going through your posts and photos again. I have to say your stuff is MUCH more interesting than the Christmas stuff on TV :thumbsup:!!! If you can Doug, could you please post a few more photos of the rest of the car; overall, interior
and so on. I've had quite a few A bodies over the the years and have a soft spot for them. I really would like to follow more of yours and your friends build. THANKS!

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back