• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I found a cool video from the 70's

Alot faster and looser back in the day! Pit crews were your buddies back then, not a hand-picked team of athletes! Thanks Sundance!

Thanks for that, Sundance! That was fun to watch. Forgive me for being hopelessly old school, but not one Toyota in the bunch! Seeing the AMC cars was cool too. And how about seeing 10 guys riding ON a Daytona? Fun to see the Daytonas being used how they were intended rather than as 6 figure commodities on an auction block. Top it all off with April Wine, and I'm 30 years younger again!:yes:

Really cool! What was up around 2:30? #43 were the pits closed or did he miss his crew? Sorry don't know much about nascar... Also at 3:15 i couldn't help but laught. hmm can i make this oh (^&$*! Oh good i did

Yes the good ole days when you actually tell the different brands of cars:yes:

Yeah really... If Nascar was still this way i probably would watch it... I can't remember but when nascar first started weren't they stock cars? Like the same car racing you could go buy at the lot? i mean minus a roll cage?

Btw i heard on msn a few weeks ago that they were considering going back to this way but one of the teams told the reporter it was unfair to some that had better aerodynamics...

Yeah really... If Nascar was still this way i probably would watch it... I can't remember but when nascar first started weren't they stock cars? Like the same car racing you could go buy at the lot? i mean minus a roll cage?

Btw i heard on msn a few weeks ago that they were considering going back to this way but one of the teams told the reporter it was unfair to some that had better aerodynamics...

I've seen some cool footage of Lee and Richard Petty and crew transforming their '64 Belvedere from a street car to a racer in their shop.

As a Mopar man, I've always felt like Chrysler was persecuted for their superior engineering over the years by Nascar and NHRA. Both of them found ways to outlaw the Hemi by penalizing the Chrysler teams in the interest of fairness. I've always thought these motorsports were built on good honest competition that started with engineering. But those governing bodies drew a line at a certain point (seemed to start around '64 when the race Hemi came out). So if you couldn't keep up engineering wise, no worries. You'd be legislated back into competitiveness through the rules.

Yup. Chrysler has taken it on the nose from NHRA and NASCAR as well. Even after the very first race after their return (the DAYTONA race that D.E. did in) NASCAR imposed "aero sanctions" on them. ONE FREAKIN RACE.

Think they would say anything to that Jap carmaker now?

Btw, back when PORSCHE was running the 917 they took it on the nose, and it killed an entire SERIES of racing. The cars were banned by the sanctioning body and the entire racing series went belly up.

sweet

that was one cool video. if they ever had a show on speed vision or espn like that about the old races i would sit and watch it all day.

Love that old stock car racing footage. I could actually recognize the cars....
That's a Charger, that's a Matador, that used to be a Ford........

that was one cool video. if they ever had a show on speed vision or espn like that about the old races i would sit and watch it all day.

If they did that people would realize how incredibly boring NASCAR is today and would hurt the ratings. I think the only reason the people who do watch it these days is out of a sense of civic duty or religion. :)

When ever I hear someone say "Nascar sucks", which is often in these parts, I say back in the 70's it was incredibly exciting. You really get a feel for the speed and how on the edge they were.

Thanks for bringing it back!

Auto Transport Service
Back