• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I gotta get off the grid...but at least NORAD is still tracking Santa each Christmas!

moparedtn

I got your Staff Member riiiight heeeere...
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:28 PM
Reaction score
We have a co-op for power here, like so many in the SE... a co-op who gets all its' power from the mighty (and federally backed)
Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). For the last two days, TVA has decided it doesn't have enough power for everyone, so they've
mandated the local companies to implement rolling blackouts on the customers...

You read that right, the power generator for at least 7 states can't supply enough power to us.
Talk about "you had one job...." Sheesh.
By the way, they're also BIG proponents of EV's! You know, those cars that need electricity to charge themselves off of....
well, the same grid that's inadequate for current demand, leave alone any additional needs from EV fleets to come.

As it is, my house is currently strung one end to the other with extension cords and littered with space heaters and distribution
blocks, all fed by a Generac portable generator with only a couple dozen hours on it (8k rated).
It's a damn bear to get running, by the way - I've had it all apart more than once and everything is spiffy clean in there, as it
should be - it's just a biyotch to get going, so I use starting fluid and leave the damn air cleaner off it.
At least I was smart enough to get electric start on this one, even though the thing doesn't keep its' own battery charged while running.
(Yep, separate battery tender just for little ol' precious Generac...).

BUT....
For those of you (especially those with kids and grandkids!) who might enjoy watching Santa's annual journey around the world,
our old friends at NORAD are operating their customary annual tracking website that's pretty cool:

Official NORAD Santa Tracker
Y'all with power might enjoy checking it out.
Merry Christmas everyone!

That’s criminal in a normal world and must be part of this new “NEW” that folks are pushing.

Sharing this current situation could help others to get/be prepared.

It sucks when, personally, one has to cover or pickup the slack for the ineptness of a co-worker, boss or company but who would have guessed a major utility!!!! D@mn, D@mn D@mn

Good Luck

Yep I have friends their and I was shocked when they told me. Is Tennessee the new California? So cold and we need to do brown outs? Crazy

Yep I have friends their and I was shocked when they told me. Is Tennessee the new California? So cold and we need to do brown outs? Crazy
Gotta admit, this is a VERY rare situation for us - can't remember the last time it got this cold - but still,
such a mega-corporation as TVA surely was watching what was happening to others across the country
as the storm approached.
Surely, they had an idea of what was coming, right?
I mean, it is their JOBS and all..."you had one job..."
Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't busy selling power to some of the concerns west of here at premium
dollar before the storm even got here - and got caught with their pants around their ankles.

Be safe Ed, Merry Christmas! I’m a single man with no children, I try to enjoy Christmas as much as I can.

0CE34466-9354-4A60-A93C-9DDCE43325B0.jpeg

Be safe, stay warm Ed. Merry Christmas!
Thank you John, Merry Christmas to you and yours up yonder!
We're supposedly done with the rolling whatevers now - guess TVA found some juice somewhere...
I'm actually thumbing my nose at the local co-op right now and have the candles lit up in the windows. :)

Be safe Ed, Merry Christmas! I’m a single man with no children, I try to enjoy Christmas as much as I can.
Thank you, same to you and yours. Get out and be with people!
Fire up the Pandora Christmas channel too. I've been doing that for years...

Thank you John, Merry Christmas to you and yours up yonder!
We're supposedly done with the rolling whatevers now - guess TVA found some juice somewhere...
I'm actually thumbing my nose at the local co-op right now and have the candles lit up in the windows. :)

Thank you, same to you and yours. Get out and be with people!
Fire up the Pandora Christmas channel too. I've been doing that for years...
Today the family is coming over for lunch. I’ve had pandora fired up for a week. There’s still a magical happiness to Christmas

Today the family is coming over for lunch. I’ve had pandora fired up for a week. There’s still a magical happiness to Christmas
Excellent. Enjoy them, man. Most of mine are long gone these days; it's pretty quiet this time of year.

Auto Transport Service
Back