• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I guess I'm eliminating the fuel vapor separator from my 70 440+6bbl

know......On the subject of the separator, I always assumed it was there because of vapor lock issues.
You are absolutely correct!
I looked up the fuel system section of my 1970 Plymouth Service Manual and they address that very issue as a symptom requiring the return line to be checked for a clog.
So now I believe the answer lies here:
How long will it take for me to change over to an electronic fuel pump, regulator, and return line system. IF I can manage to afford to get my stroker built and ready by October 2021, it would be just before that time when I get the fuel system re-engineered. The flip side to this is IF I were to decide to try using the existing 3/8th feed line and Carter M6903 fuel pump with the 541, AND in the meantime before the stroker goes in, it seems like I should reincorporate the fuel vapor separator.
So I will ask the mechanic to replace the return line he cut without my permission, and ask his advice on how I can put the vapor separator back into the system.
I was rushed when I installed the Carter M6907 mechanical fuel pump days before Cruisin the Coast, and I just haven't revisited it.
So...what says the forum?

With an electric fuel pump vapor lock is in the past!
Thank you brother, but I just can't swing the coin right now, and the completion of the work being done is getting uncomfortably close to October 4th which is the first day of Cruisin the Coast!!!

I think for a car you drive, with a mechanical pump, it really helps to have the return on the hot days. Original factory part tends to be better than some repros that were made wrong.

My roadrunner was a 383 now its a 440 and I installed a return line to stop vapor lock. I changed sending unit, ran my own aluminum line and bought a wix filter for about 5 bucks. I couldn’t get cranked in the summertime without it.

Auto Transport Service
Back