• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I had to break out my poison pen

Hilljack68

Local time
10:36 AM
Reaction score
I had to do it, boys. I had to respond to an absolutely ridiculous comment in an article in this month's HMM....

I'm writing in regards to Jeff Koch's Magnum Opus article in HMM #237

More specifically, one line in that article:

"...while Chrysler's hard-fought reputation for building quality cars in the first half of the 50's had long since disappeared..."

So, Mopar only had a five-year window in which they produced a quality car, huh? ...the first half of the 1950's. Mr. Koch, could you at least try to mask your disdain for Mother Mopar? Whatever automotive brand you favor, you as an editor of a major publication, should get your little fingers slapped for that comment, and for your obvious malice toward a great American car company. Apparently you have no grasp of reality, and should seek a mental health expert immediately!

Despite being a Mopar guy, I will openly admit to anyone (even my Chevy and Pontiac friends) that the other brands also made quality cars; also made fast cars; also made beautiful cars; also made great contributions to the automobile industry. To relegate Chrysler to something you just scraped off your shoe is not only incredibly biased, but downright disgusting.

After making a ridiculous comment like that, I hope you never have to meet John, Horace or Walter in the after-life. I also hope that comment was your way of begging Hemmings to release you from their employ.

Last edited:
I assume, from finally reading the last line, that HMM is related to Hemming Motor News? (HMN?)

What was the vehicle the article was about?

Interesting.

Usually those "real performance was non-existent after 1971" magazine writers LOVE to trash those cars almost more than anything else.

Sometimes you just have to stand up for what's right.

Well, it wasn't even a performance comment, so much as a quality comment. And I realize Mopar's quality wasn't that great in the late 70's, but heck, no one's was.

It was basically saying 'except for the early 50's, Chrysler has always made garbage'.

Like the guy on a Facebook group that sent a picture of his rear defroster , with the speaker adapter attached, and wondered where it went. Another guy started going off that it was attached to the pillar and not the speaker opening on the package shelf. I stated my case and then gave up. :BangHead: :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Last edited:
I grew up with early 50s Mopars, and they had quality issues too. Dad started with a '52 Dodge and finished with a '93 Voyager, I saw the quality evolution, how Chrysler addressed some problems, then had to deal with others. All the manufacturers went through the same process. Easy for the HMN writer to make an overly simplistic statement. No credibility with those of us who actually lived the history.

Last edited:
The early 50s Mopars were the pinnacle of quality innovation IMO. My dad owned several and every one was slow, but dependable as an anvil. Nothing like a car that was parked outside for 40 years with no air cleaner starting and running well with a marine gas tank hooked to the carb. He replaced the tires hoses belts and rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders and carb then proceeded to drive it 25,000 miles with honesty zero issues. Even the funky fluid drive transmission worked 100 %

The early 50s Mopars were the pinnacle of quality innovation IMO. My dad owned several and every one was slow, but dependable as an anvil. Nothing like a car that was parked outside for 40 years with no air cleaner starting and running well with a marine gas tank hooked to the carb. He replaced the tires hoses belts and rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders and carb then proceeded to drive it 25,000 miles with honesty zero issues. Even the funky fluid drive transmission worked 100 %
Dad converted from Ford to Mopars, because of the mechanical qualities you described. Our specific issue was rocker panel rust, which Chrysler addressed successfully with the "flush and dry" design in the early '60s.

Dad converted from Ford to Mopars, because of the mechanical qualities you described. Our specific issue was rocker panel rust, which Chrysler addressed successfully with the "flush and dry" design in the early '60s.
Rockers weren’t as bad as floors. They used horse hair as insulation and if it got wet it stayed wet until the floor rusted to drain it lol

Rockers weren’t as bad as floors. They used horse hair as insulation and if it got wet it stayed wet until the floor rusted to drain it lol
My sister and I used to see who could poke our feet further into the holes in the floor of the '53 Plymouth Suburban. No seat belts or child seats back then.

Did he use the words "malaise" or "disco" in the article?
Ha! No, surprisingly. I think the boy needs to do some homework on the Dodge Brothers. Their cars were renowned for their ruggedness and dependability. George Patton knew.. General Pershing knew.. and WE know.

My sister and I used to see who could poke our feet further into the holes in the floor of the '53 Plymouth Suburban. No seat belts or child seats back then.
53 you say?

C7A7F546-D0FF-49CD-9A63-3580D13D59BC.jpeg

F93E27CA-785D-4C06-8CAE-4AE0AE069BD9.jpeg

770E552D-5125-4C7A-8A44-16E623587A1B.jpeg

'78 Dodge Magnum
78 Magnum Nascar #43 Richard Petty @ Daytona.jpg

I have to admit it's not my preferred era for MaMoPar
I did have quite a few PowerWagons, Power Rams & Ramchargers
from the era, good rigs for the most part

But;
I had a buddy Rob C. that had one 78 Magnum GT
exactly like the one in the Bruce Lietzke PGA-pro