• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I had to break out my poison pen

But that has nothing to do with all
The plastic used in domestic cars. The latest car I’ve owned with close to no Plastic was my 64 Chrysler. The armrest bases are the only plastic parts in the interior. And the tail light lenses and grille emblem were the only exterior pieces.
Then why on earth did all three of the
major players switch from good
quality metal parts to parts that
were far inferior? We all know '80's
era vehicles sucked when it came to
a vehicles' interior. EPA mandates
would have been impossible to meet
without this transition. Which is not
to say vast improvements were made
to powertrains where almost all went
EFI. Plastic has been used in vehicles
almost since their inception. Only
now, they make up a larger percentage
of a vehicles build. Holding the cost
down to the average Joe.

I just read it this morning and the writer was setting up the article to explain how the owner was meticulous and wanted everything perfect on the car while it was in warranty and then wrote about defects found in things like the K-frame and how it was missing a rear sway bar that the owner thought should have been there. This info came from the owner of the car. The article was far from trashing any brand or car. I mean, they had an article on a 78 Magnum. That in itself is a big deal I think. The publication is part of Hemmings, its Hemmings Muscle Machines, not Motor News.
You're wrong. First of all, it wasn't "set-up", it was dumb-*** statement that was completely inaccurate. I realize the gentleman who bought the car had a number of issues with it, but the comment I quoted was a blanket statement concerning Chrysler in general. Read the OP again.

Secondly, I said from the beginning it was HMM, not HMN.

Last edited:
Dodge Magnum. Nice car. Entering
into an era of uncertainties.

Why I don't like plastic interior parts.
My 78 Dodge had a pretty much all metal interior with the only plastic being the gauge cluster and door panels. Never had much of a problem in 187K miles. My 93 Dodge has pretty much the same cab, but the whole dash is plastic along with a lot of trim on the pillars and around the glass. On a cold morning, the 93 pops, cracks, squeeks, and pretty much sounds like it is disintegrating inside. Plus, every time I have needed to work on something in or under the dash, I always find a new way to break another plastic clip or retainer of some kind. The power window switch in the driver door has been swinging loose for 15 years now. Other than the interior of the 93, both trucks have been hard working tough work trucks.

7-6-13 pics1 007.jpg
Loaded 93.jpg

Then why on earth did all three of the
major players switch from good
quality metal parts to parts that
were far inferior? We all know '80's
era vehicles sucked when it came to
a vehicles' interior. EPA mandates
would have been impossible to meet
without this transition. Which is not
to say vast improvements were made
to powertrains where almost all went
EFI. Plastic has been used in vehicles
almost since their inception. Only
now, they make up a larger percentage
of a vehicles build. Holding the cost
down to the average Joe.
They did it in the 1960s well before they were “forced” to because it was cheaper. Look at all the plastic in the 1970 E body interior. The entire door panels, the console etc. all plastic. The Barracuda grille and lower grille. All plastic. The 70 Plymouth dashboard the lower pieces went from padded vinyl to hard plastic. All for cost cutting and higher profit margins.

Plastic is also "safer" than metal.

...and the 80's were actually the beginning of more comfortable interiors. More ergonomically accurate seat foam with bolsters, thicker steering wheels and arm rests, handles and knobs placed in positions that could be reached with less movement, but not obstruct others.

You're wrong. First of all, it wasn't "set-up", it was dumb-*** statement that was completely inaccurate. I realize the gentleman who bought the car had a number of issues with it, but the comment I quoted was a blanket statement concerning Chrysler in general. Read the OP again.

Secondly, I said from the beginning it was HMM, not HMN.
You didn’t quote the entire sentence in your OP. You gave a sound bite with no context. I’ll finish it - ‘,David wasn’t about to allow any factory-installed deficiencies in his $9000 Magnum’. Seems like a setup, just say’n. The first part ‘completely inaccurate’, post #8 you said it yourself the quality wasn't that great.

Make sure you write to the magazine and let them know how you feel. I’ll be looking for it in the Backfire section!

I’ve read this magazine for at least a decade now and I think Mopar is very well represented. I’ve never once got the idea they had disdain for Mopar stuff. Without Mopar was there really a muscle car era?

You didn’t quote the entire sentence in your OP. You gave a sound bite with no context. I’ll finish it - ‘,David wasn’t about to allow any factory-installed deficiencies in his $9000 Magnum’. Seems like a setup, just say’n. The first part ‘completely inaccurate’, post #8 you said it yourself the quality wasn't that great.

Make sure you write to the magazine and let them know how you feel. I’ll be looking for it in the Backfire section!

I’ve read this magazine for at least a decade now and I think Mopar is very well represented. I’ve never once got the idea they had disdain for Mopar stuff. Without Mopar was there really a muscle car era?
It was not a sound bite. Even when you read the entire article, the statement still stands alone.
Also, I didn't say "they" had a disdain for Mopar... but that Mr. Koch does. HMM, as a whole, does indeed represent Mopar well.
Also, if you had read my post, you would have noticed that I had already written to them.

Auto Transport Service
Back