• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have to park one of my mopars on gravel next to my driveway this winter. Any suggestions on what I could do to help it not rot out the frame?

tonyp25

Local time
5:11 AM
Reaction score
So I have too many cars at the moment. Projects that I keep starting unfortunately. The paved driveway and garage are full. But I have an equally large patch of gravel that I use for temporary parking. I know moisture coming up from dirt, grass and gravel really take a toll on the bottom of of sitting vehicle.

Anything that I might be able to put down? I was thinking maybe buying one of those portable pop up garages but that really doesn’t solve the moisture coming from the ground. Maybe some type of large rubber mat?

I was thinking of laying down a tarp but I was reading that traps even more moisture.

Last edited:
Gravel isn’t the worst but could put a yard or 2 of crushed rock on top of the gravel which would be even better. And then put it up high on jack stands or blocks to make sure plenty of air can breeze through under the car. And yes, avoid tarps.

Make sure there isn’t slag under the gravel

Tyvek or similar housewrap should work fine.
Winter itself isn't really a bad time for rust (as long as it's not driven in salt)
Things don't rust as quickly when it's cold and the dewpoint is very low so there's much less moisture for the rust to eat.
If you can keep a roof over it that would of course be a good idea, don't even really need sides just a roof.

Have used sheetrock, cheap stuff. I keep a sheet of it under my car in the heated garage as even bare concrete bleeds moisture.

How much snow do you get? Raise the car up off the ground, the higher the better but anything makes a difference.

A tarp will just get rain and snow on it and now you have a wading pool under the car, no good. Do you have any incline there or flat ground?

1699906175526.png

I had stored my X for many years in a pole barn in MN prior to restoration. The base was decent size gravel rock. When I took her out - my greatest fears were the bottom and frame would be rotted. Not the case. Reason was the heavy factory undercoating protected it. In contrast the trunk pan which lies above the gas tank w/no undercoating was completely rotted out and needed replacement. Everything else was solid. My good fortune…..

When we used to put a car in our backyard for the winter, we normally put a tarp on the ground then drive the car over it then cover the car with the car cover then put another tarp over that.

Unless you live where the water table is so high it seeps out of the ground, moisture "coming up out of the ground" is never the issue. The issue is the changing weather - the snowy days and then the warmer days when the humidity rises. So on the warm days the humidity rises BUT your car is still much colder than the dew point. So the humidity condenses on the cold surfaces. Of course these are all the lower surfaces that don't get the suns rays to heat them up.

The reality is, nothing on the ground under the car is going to help. I'd argue that if you parked two identical cars - one on pavement or concrete next to one on gravel, at the end of winter they'd both show the same effects - if any. But anything you can do to improve air movement underneath is a bonus.

As for some of those "gimmicks" like the inflatable air chamber, that thing has constant pressure to keep it inflated. What does that mean? Well, the car will heat and cool based on the outside temperature. So imagine after a week of freezing cold you get a nice warm day. The inflator now pumps in the nice humid outside air - which condenses all over the freezing cold car. So cross that idea off the list.

Personally I think the best thing would be a large bag and then vacuum seal it on a day when the humidity is low. Get as much air and moisture out as you can then don't open the bag till you've had enough warm spring days to bring the contents up to outside air temp.

From what I have seen use jack stands to get it off the ground, if air can get under and around the car it will carry the moisture away. You can wrap with a tarp, but I have seen the wind move a tarp enough to wear off the paint, so you have to be careful with that.

If it snows there get the snoww off it right away. Mid not it will condense water inside the body panels, roof, trunk, hood.

I pit a tarp on mine in the rain and snow, then the snow comes off easily. I take the tarp off on the wind so it doesn’t blow amd rub the paint on the edges.

I have a car stored in a carport, dirt floor, metal roof, I'm not too concerned as the wind typically keeps it dry, but I thought I would put down a few pieces of pressure treated 2x6 I have laying around and drive up on them just because they're here.

Years ago when I had 3 cars in the works, I parked the 2 outside cars “on” plastic tarps I staked to the ground.
When a completed car was kept in my un-heated garage for the winter I would spread 2 bags of charcoal under the car

Years ago when I had 3 cars in the works, I parked the 2 outside cars “on” plastic tarps I staked to the ground.
When a completed car was kept in my un-heated garage for the winter I would spread 2 bags of charcoal under the car
I had one car that should have been BBQ'd!
Mike

I have always put my cars up on jackstands for the winter, regardless of wether the floor was concrete, gravel, or rubber horse mats over crushed stone. Get it up nice and high and moisture won't get trapped underneath. Also, as previously mentioned, crack them windows ! Airflow is your friend. The portable garage is much better than a tarp sitting on your paint job, too. My cars are inside with car covers....no tarps.

Good luck, which ever way you choose to go !

Auto Transport Service
Back