• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I knew about driveline offset, but didn’t know this easy check. Thanks UTG!

Hes got one of my favorite channels. Good stuff.

The reason for the offset in the drive line is to control or counter act the TORQUE reaction of the engine (torque opposes rotation) and the same thing is true for the rear end (axle tubes are different lengths + axles) and the reason for differrnt number of spring leaves.....5 + 2 half leaves, right side and 6 leaves on the left side. The concept is fundamental...especially during intense competition....aka drag racing and 4 speed cars with hammer starts.......
BOB RENTON

Heck, I always thought the offset was common knowledge in Mopar world.
Maybe not...

I could have charged an electric car in the time it took him to get to the point

Heck, I always thought the offset was common knowledge in Mopar world.
Maybe not...
Not just the offset, I have a ‘70 ‘Cuda N96 Shaker… very evident when the hood is up. I never knew about the centerline hole for the drivetrain. You can see it here on a ‘68 Sport Satellite rad support. So it’s the same on all ‘68-‘70 B bodies.
998AD194-090B-4950-9063-1D298D22D841.jpeg
1E10A906-8C12-4441-BEA4-60CA72C196EC.jpeg

5ACAE2A8-91B2-4E3F-B0C0-1FDBC3520C1C.jpeg

The reason for the offset in the drive line is to control or counter act the TORQUE reaction of the engine (torque opposes rotation) and the same thing is true for the rear end (axle tubes are different lengths + axles) and the reason for differrnt number of spring leaves.....5 + 2 half leaves, right side and 6 leaves on the left side. The concept is fundamental...especially during intense competition....aka drag racing and 4 speed cars with hammer starts.......
BOB RENTON
Tony also made a good point about being left hand drive, the added room for the steering column, brake master cylinder, and clutch linkage that my Charger and ‘Cuda have.

Not just the offset, I have a ‘70 ‘Cuda N96 Shaker… very evident when the hood is up. I never knew about the centerline hole for the drivetrain. You can see it here on a ‘68 Sport Satellite rad support. So it’s the same on all ‘68-‘70 B bodies.
Not just those. As Tony said, it's across several body types and several years of Mopars...
I first noticed it in the early 80's, though, on an original SixPak fiberglass hood for a 'Bee I had.
Scoop up top is dead center; the hole for the air cleaner underneath is not.

Tony also made a good point about being left hand drive, the added room for the steering column, brake master cylinder, and clutch linkage that my Charger and ‘Cuda have.
The old wives' tale I heard back in the day was that it was to help offset the drivers' weight in the car....

Not just those. As Tony said, it's across several body types and several years of Mopars...
I first noticed it in the early 80's, though, on an original SixPak fiberglass hood for a 'Bee I had.
Scoop up top is dead center; the hole for the air cleaner underneath is not.
I meant the one I pictured is the same ‘68-‘70 b body. My ‘70 ‘Cuda is the ‘71 B body under hood, and is probably the same as that, and different than the earlier years.

Who or what is UTG???
BOB RENTON
He was a writer for a lot of 80’s-90’s car magazines on the east coast. High Performance Mopar, Cars Illustrated… and others.

Who or what is UTG???
BOB RENTON
You should start a channel:
BRG
Bob Renton's Garage

You could discuss topics like Tapered Roller Bearings vs Green Bearings, Ported vs Manifold Vacuum Advance, Champion vs NGK spark plug, what temperature thermostat to use (or should you use one at all?), the list is endless.

Just pulling your leg Bob, your knowledge is invaluable.

Ok help me understand. I have no doubt that hole is a centerline, and I am clear on offset, but who during the course of assembly used the hole as a reference when building the car since the motor came up from the bottom already bolted to the K frame, and trans cross member also has pre determined mounting holes, where did the designers see its need/use? I doubt they were designing it for future car guys doing engine swaps.
There must be some adjustments during assembly that this was used and I know one of you has the correct answer.
Inquiring minds want to know.

Ok help me understand. I have no doubt that hole is a centerline, and I am clear on offset, but who during the course of assembly used the hole as a reference when building the car since the motor came up from the bottom already bolted to the K frame, and trans cross member also has pre determined mounting holes, where did the designers see its need/use? I doubt they were designing it for future car guys doing engine swaps.
There must be some adjustments during assembly that this was used and I know one of you has the correct answer.
Inquiring minds want to know.
It’s probably just a variation hole when everything is jigged up on initial fabrication. Once the line is up and running, it’s not used. Like Tony said, there are holes pinned for alignment.

I could have charged an electric car in the time it took him to get to the point
It's my understanding that for You Tube to pay you you have to have at least 20 minutes of content.
I noticed that many videos do the same,ramble before getting to the point of the video.

Auto Transport Service
Back