• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I know this is a long shot. But have to ask. Would like to find my old 1969 GTX hardtop

gtx6970

Local time
6:24 AM
Reaction score
Looking for my old car.
1969 GTX hardtop. 440 console auto. 3.23 rear. F5 or maybe F4 Green. Green vinyl top. Black interior. Console and factory air car.
I lived in northern Ky at the time. Sold approx 1991 or very early 1992.
These are pictures of when i owned it.
The color on it wasnt as dark as these pics show, but it was a tad dark for the original green, maybe close to F8 or so.
Im not sure i have the vin. But plan to look back thru old records. But its doubtful I have the vin anymore

I dont remember where it went or even what the buyer looked like.
I know its a long shot,,,,,,BUT Maybe I'll get lucky.

20220613_162833.jpg

20220613_162926.jpg

Looking for my old car.
1969 GTX hardtop. 440 console auto. 3.23 rear. F5 or maybe F4 Green. Green vinyl top. Black interior. Console and factory air car.
I lived in northern Ky at the time. Sold approx 1991 or very early 1992.
These are pictures of when i owned it.
The color on it wasnt as dark as these pics show, but it was a tad dark for the original green, maybe close to F8 or so.
Im not sure i have the vin. But plan to look back thru old records. But its doubtful I have the vin anymore

I dont remember where it went or even what the buyer looked like.
I know its a long shot,,,,,,BUT Maybe I'll get lucky.

View attachment 1403164

View attachment 1403165
If anyone is going to be of any help to you on advice they’re going to need/ask for the VIN #. Without that your long shot is even longer……

If anyone is going to be of any help to you on advice they’re going to need/ask for the VIN #. Without that your long shot is even longer……
Believe me. I know. Thats why I posted a detailed info as I can think of

Im hopeful maybe some recognizes the car. And If I dont ask, I will never find it, So I have to try.

There was a GTX that came into my area in the 90's. The guy had a stash of cars. If I remember correctly it has a Kentucky window sticker on the windshield. Possibly a DMV inspection tag. This guy started selling off cars as he had a building failure and might of needed money. He passed away. The car then went to another owner in my area sometime in the mid 2000's. I am not sure if he still has it.

Best of luck with the search. I grew up in Florence so there is s possibility I saw your ad in the Wheeler Dealer when it came out. Sharp looking car.

I also remember that Nissan Pulsar and the 80's hair lol. What a great time to grow up. :)

May each out to your old insurance company. They keep files most of the time. May be able to get your vin off thar. Another long shot but maybe..Good luck!

Best of luck with the search. I grew up in Florence so there is s possibility I saw your ad in the Wheeler Dealer when it came out. Sharp looking car.

I also remember that Nissan Pulsar and the 80's hair lol. What a great time to grow up. :)
Cool. Thats back when she was just the soon to be wife,,,,,. both the big hair and the Pulsar are long long gone

Still have her though

I found the Demonstrator without the VIN. I will ask around at Carlisle this summer. Lightning might strike twice in the same place. The Demonstrator will probably be a conversation starter on factory A/C '69 GTXs.

I found the Demonstrator without the VIN. I will ask around at Carlisle this summer. Lightning might strike twice in the same place. The Demonstrator will probably be a conversation starter on factory A/C '69 GTXs.
Thanks,
I plan to pull some old car files out of the attic here the next few weeks. Maybe just maybe I'll get lucky and fin the vin.

Car has been gone for almost 30 years now. And I have NO idea who I had for insurance back then.
And for the life of me, I can't remember where it went, how I sold it or what the buyer even looked like.
Best i remember, I think I got about $8 or $9k out of it. As its replacement was a B5 blue 69 GTX vert and I paid something like $12k for it back then

Great question!
“If” you have a VIN, an approximate time and location of sale for a car you’ve owned in the past, how do you go about finding where it is today?
I’m curious as I am in the same boat with a 1970 440 Six Pack, Dodge Challenger R/T. I have the VIN and I sold it in San Diego in 1984.
Armed with this little bit of knowledge is there any sort of service that enables you to track down a car you once owned?
8DADED32-B7EC-48B8-859A-6706F4530BCC.jpeg

View attachment 1411913
Great question!
“If” you have a VIN, an approximate time and location of sale for a car you’ve owned in the past, how do you go about finding where it is today?
I have actually recovered two cars from back in the day, one I tried to buy when I graduated from Penn State in 1975, and later in 1983, and the car I bought instead, and then sold in 1991. I had the VIN for the one I bought, but it didn't lead to the recovery. The paper trail I passed on when I sold the car brought it home. Four owners after the sale I got a phone call asking about its history. The first car (a heavily optioned '69 GTX), I had no VIN, but I had photos from back in the day. Like your Challenger, it was a fairly unique and rare car. I found it by asking about it at the Chrysler Nationals for several years. I then negotiated with the owner for 20 years before he finally sold it to me.

This site is certainly a help, as it increases your potential contact pool. But if my experience is any indicator, just talking to people at car events, and within your immediate circles can sometimes lead to a big payoff. Privacy concerns in today's environment, and lack of computer records from earlier years often hinders a search using the VIN.

Insurance companies are required to keep records going back a long time - that means agents and brokers too. In the event theres something legal that pops up even decades later. However obviously no company keeps those records on site if in paper form. They go to storage units. The big carriers I believe transferred everything to microfiche back when and then some other form of digital retainment following that. First you’d have to know or find somebody that gives a hoot to try and dig that up for your purpose and even at that it would only be a search starter. But as they say - never say never ……..

Great question!
I’m curious as I am in the same boat with a 1970 440 Six Pack, Dodge Challenger R/T. I have the VIN and I sold it in San Diego in 1984.
Armed with this little bit of knowledge is there any sort of service that enables you to track down a car you once owned?
View attachment 1411913
None that Im aware of.

A friend of mine is a poilice officer.
And he told me they need a reason to run a vin or license plate due to modern privacy laws

Auto Transport Service
Back