• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I need a new radiator

tpodwdog

Banned
Banned
Local time
11:15 PM
Reaction score
GOOD EVENING FELLOW MOPAR GURUS...i thought i had my " over heating" prob fixed.......but turns out i just slowed it down. 1970 Road Runner 383 HP automatic 3:55 rear end. car does great on the back roads...hovers at 210....which im thrilled about....HOWEVERRRRRR....once i hit the highway and cruise at around 2500RPM ( about 75-80 MPH ) the temp gauge ( mechanical...not stock)....climbs to 230...and when i really get on it,,,itll go to 245... THIS IS NOT GOOD.

im pretty sure i need a new radiator. the entire car is stock and the rad HAS to be clogged up....heres my question.

where can i find a stock NEW rad for my runner? i DONT want a BE COOL rad or the like. i want to keep this car STOCK....or as close to it as possible .repros are ok as long as they have a good reputation. im not having any luck finding one on my own. anxiously awaiting your answers and thanx in advance!:headbang:

***UPDATE QUESTION****...is there something that i can get to "soak" the rad and clean out all the gook and crap that might be in it?

Last edited:
Get yours recored-that way the tanks are still original, and they have all the ID on them. Probably cheaper too, and you can upgrade to a three row
core while you're at it, if it isn't already.

The recore route around here costs around $425 for a 3 row. That would be the best bet in keeping it stock. I saw Classic Industies is selling new US Radiators for a little less than that, but I havent used them or know what kind of quality they are.

dog,

The most financially feasible way to go is as was already stated, get your radiator re-cored. I had my R/T's radiator re-cored last February here locally and it was $325 for a brand new 3 core using my original tanks and side frame with mounting brackets. Car runs 175* all day.

The other route you can go to remain original, is to purchase a complete new Mopar Authorized Reproduction radiator for your car. I have also gone this route on another car that is a bit higher end than the R/T is. The repro radiator was ...... are you sitting down???.........$1200 Get 'em at Glen Ray radiator. See link below.

http://www.hemiradiators.com/

Get yours recored-that way the tanks are still original, and they have all the ID on them. Probably cheaper too, and you can upgrade to a three row
core while you're at it, if it isn't already.

X2

p.s. also i should mention that when i took the 318 out and put in the hemi i had the original rad recored to keep the look and it works great.

Last edited:
I agree with the recore route, but I'd suggest you confirm the temp guage is resonably accurate first. I've seen my share of mechanical temp guages get inaccurate. Try to get a non contact thermometer and try to get a reading when the guage is reading on the high side of what you mentioned. If it's really up that high recoring will give you what you want.

Good luck.

D, all the Gents that have posted here gots it right...i was having problems with my GTXer overheating, got the rad recored (3-core got it done for bout $300) and when i put it back in, used some water wetter (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-80204/), and BAM!!! in stupid stop and go traffic, she doesn't go above 205*.

your car is overheating?
it could be the thermostat!
you dont have the big circuit, perhaps. only the small.

You sure your lower radiator hose isnt collapsing? The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms for that.

Pop the hood....rev it up while staring at the lower radiator hose and see if it collapses.

GlenRay radiators does an awesome job restoring radiators, and can add a three core that has larger cores that stock. Call them for prices. I got a 056 big block radiator from them that works great with my 505" stroker. It was around $700, but they supplied the original tanks and brackets because the radiator in my car was not the correct type for the car.

You sure your lower radiator hose isnt collapsing? The symptoms you describe are classic symptoms for that.

Pop the hood....rev it up while staring at the lower radiator hose and see if it collapses.

nice call...i never gave that a 2nd thot...ill check it today.....might have to shove a spring in there....if i can find one,,,,lmao:blob1:

Just go to the parts store and look thru thier hoses and find one with a spring and get it and put the spring in yours. My 383 with a 2 core runs 180 all day long here even when it is above 100. My 340 Swinger pegs the temp. gauge out but it is just running about 190. Get your rad. rodded out an try that first. Good Luck Ronnie

Auto Transport Service
Back