• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need Engine Experts! 340 Roller Lifter and Pushrod Issue

With that style of rocker, I try to have the adjuster screw set up as follows:
Thread the adjuster all the way up into the rocker as far as it will go.
Go back down one turn……snug lock nut.
Adjust checking pushrod to just fit between lifter and rocker…….then add the desired lifter preload to that length.

That will give you an adjustment range of +/- one turn and still keep the oil holes in the correct position.
That's pretty close to what I've got.
There just aren't that many short push rod choices out there either.

UPDATE

Finishing this work had some delays due to the fact that my retina in my left eye partially detached - I am still dealing with the fallout from that.

But, we just got the car running and driving again. It runs super well with a ton of torque and power - I am very happy with the way it is running. I'm sure some additional tuning of the Thermoquad carb will help a bit more, but that will come over the next few days. Except for minor tuning, the car is done.

As a reminder, this was my car for 42 years until I sold it at Carlisle last year. The new owner is a great young guy who is super excited about Mopar and his car. I have discussed with him the improvement that 1.6 rockers and a geometry fix from B3 racing will give him, and he is tentatively planning to do that as a winter project. That should give it even more fire!

A couple of pictures: Here is as we are filling final fluids and prepping for starting it.
20240610_150247.jpg

Here it is prowling around the streets again.
20240610_170655.jpg

Anyway, for now the car is done and runs super well. I appreciate all the help and suggestions from all of you!

:thankyou: :thumbsup: :drinks:

I had Mike at B3 design my whole 418 build, and bought all of the parts from him so that I knew that they would work with each other. Plus, being the nice guy that he is, doesn't pay the bills, buying from him does. Having said that, I have roughly the same engine, but, stroker, same lifters, cam design by Mike, made by Howards, 1.6 rockers, trick flow heads . The pain with that Morrell tappet is that you have to remove the heads to get them in and out , least on my engine. I have a set of Comp Evolution rollers in now, do not have to remove the head with them. Have a little wider roller too. I have been treating mine like a solid tappet and gapping them with a feeler gauge. Push rods are 5/16" , with trick flow heads, no clearance problems. Yeah, the push rod angle is steep!

I had Mike at B3 design my whole 418 build, and bought all of the parts from him so that I knew that they would work with each other. Plus, being the nice guy that he is, doesn't pay the bills, buying from him does. Having said that, I have roughly the same engine, but, stroker, same lifters, cam design by Mike, made by Howards, 1.6 rockers, trick flow heads . The pain with that Morrell tappet is that you have to remove the heads to get them in and out , least on my engine. I have a set of Comp Evolution rollers in now, do not have to remove the head with them. Have a little wider roller too. I have been treating mine like a solid tappet and gapping them with a feeler gauge. Push rods are 5/16" , with trick flow heads, no clearance problems. Yeah, the push rod angle is steep!
340 engines built as stroker motors are great engines. This engine will surprise many a big block!

That wonky 59* lifter bank angle is a carry over from the A engine of the 1950s. It was needed to get a pushrod to work on the Poly head where the intake and exhaust rockers faced opposite sides of the head.

W2 heads deal with pushrod angles by using long valves and raised blocks under the rockers to lessen that pushrod angle.

Screen-Shot-2012-07-26-at-8.17.57-AM.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back