• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I removed the top fender/door/rear quarter moldings off 1966 Satellite

LongR

Local time
3:40 AM
Reaction score
I removed the top fender/door/rear quarter moldings off 1966 Satellite (6) pieces
No problem, nice and easy
Went I put them back on & they are very sloppy and won't stay on the clips.
I did not damage the clips taking off the molding.
Do I need new clips or is there a trick to it

PXL_20240228_173502194.jpg

PXL_20240228_174115225.jpg

PXL_20240228_174044497.jpg

Start by cleaning the dirt from the edges of the clips, a wet toothbrush works great.

The trim goes on the clips at an angle. Don't go straight down on the clip, you will bend the edge of the trim or break the clips.

Put one side of the trim on the body next to the edge of the clip, the other side of the trim will be on top of the clip. Use a rolling motion and snap the trim over the clip.

Last edited:
Run the mldg in your grip of your hand and slightly squeeze the mldg together

Put one side on. the slide the opposite side over the clip ( DO NOT HIT IT WITH YOUR HAND ) You will bend the mldg trust me

Start by cleaning the dirt from the edges of the clips, a wet toothbrush works great.

The trim goes on the clips at an angle. Don't go straight down on the clip, you will bend the edge of the trim or break the clips.

Put one side of the trim on the body next to the edge of the clip, the other side of the trim will be on top of the clip. Put on gloves, now hit the trim with your gloved hand and it will snap over the clip.
I have already tried that and everything thig else
seem the clips are too narrow to catch the trim

Put one side on. the slide the opposite side over the clip ( DO NOT HIT IT WITH YOUR HAND ) You will bend the mldg trust me
That makes a lot of sense
I will try that....

yes it's aluminum trim, softer than stainless by a wide margin.

THANKS.......Your suggestion worked perfectly
Ive had that trim on and off a couple times. And that has worked best for me.
Just don't squeeze it too tight. It ends up with waves in between each clip.

This above. I made a litt go/no-go gage from a pop cycle stick or something for just the right width to secure to the clips and went down each molding marking wide sots with a marker. Then I laid the trim on edge on a flat surface and with careful hand pressure (they are soft), massaged the wide areas down to where everything was straight when eyeing down its length. Then flipped it on the other edge and repeated that and sighted down the edge. You can use a straight edge to check to. When the gage just barely cleared all the way down, they snapped right on.

I don't mean to "hijack", but where can I get the clips? My drivers door clips are gone-----just the big holes for 'em.

P1010027.JPG

Thanks
Chuck

Well that sucks.

"out of stock". That's where I got my set that I have tucked away...

Thanks guys, I'll give the Mopar Shop a call to see if they expect any to come in. If not I'll just run some stainless sheet metal screws down thru the top of the moldings, or hot glue them on. ----------------------Wait I can just go to the junk yard----------ah crap, it's not 1970 anymore.------LOL

Thanks again
Chuck

IF,,,,you decide to eliminate it. PM me.
I'm always looking to upgrade mine
I don't know, this is a numbers matching car.
Originally a 318, now the 383 that's in it match a '70 Road Runner-------the 727 trans matches a '71 440 equipped Imperial,----the 8 3/4" 3.91 sure grip on the bench, matches a '68 Dart---------lol.
When we or I de-chrome to start body work, I'll step back and really make a decision then. I will let you know. But that won't be done for a few months.

Chuck

Auto Transport Service
Back