• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I simply cannot take it anymore!

Seems like an appropriate thread.

So I stopped in at Goodwill thrift store today...

As soon as I entered I saw what appeared to be about a 90 year old man at the checkout.
He was beckoning to me. What? I just walked in the door.

He leaned way over, past the cashier (she looked maybe 25 at most) and said (without teeth)- "I can't understand how much I owe, can you help me?"

The cashier said "it's $8.57, do you want to round up to $9 for a donation".

I said loudly and slowly..."e i g h t - f i f t y - s e v e n", and then held up 8 fingers then 5 fingers, and then 7 fingers. The old man nodded yes.

Then the cashier jumped in real quick and added "do you want to round up to $9 for a donation"....and the old man said "what"?

Me- "that's what he's not getting".

Cashier- "I have to ask that".

Me- "Can't you just assume no and move on?".

Cashier- "I have to ask that".

Me- "Well, there we are, then".

I spent about 10 minutes browsing the store, and when I exited, she was still hounding him about whether he wanted to round up for that 43 cents.

10 ******* minutes harassing a 90 year old man about 43 cents.

Really?

I don't do fast food anymore. But back in the 80's when I hit the drive-thru and place my order, I would just say whatever size "cola" I wanted. YES, I said cola, they come back with we don't have "Coke" is Pepsi ok? My reply to them was it's a cola isn't it? Crickets! I did that a lot!

Agreed

Its because so many need something to bitch and moan about. They talk about the younger generation like they are idiots because some kid cant make change without having a register do it for her but the kids going to school, working after school they get put in a category like they are all idiots
Than its blame the teachers, the usual noise from the usual haters
What I find ironic is how so many of my generation can believe all the big lies, ignore what science tells us because some wannabe dictator told us what to believe and they sucked it all in hook line and sinker and yet its todays youth who they accuse of being stupid
If anyones to blame some only need to find a mirror.
Children today are smarter and hold the key to the future but I think a element is afraid of a younger generation that can think for themselves and judge for themselves
And there it is, post #61 Steve yet once again makes any thread about hating Trump, just can't stop can you Steve?.

Many bicyclers in Vermont throughout the summer. 6, count 'em....6 of them went by going the opposite way from me today on a back country road. They were stretched out with at least 60 feet between them. EVERY one of them had a mask on!!!!!! I just shook my head.....

The OP had me rolling on the floor but it is so true. Generally I hate bashing the younger generation because they are the future. I just retired from almost 40 years in construction and the quality of help is pathetic now, as Kern Dog mentioned they are lazy and know nothing and don't even try. Parents are to blame more than anyone, I made my kid work for everything he ever had and he has a good life and understands about work ethic, my step kids were always sheltered and no demands were ever made on them (until I came along) they are lazy and heck my 21 yo step Daughter can't even find her way across the street without using the GPS on her phone. Kids now have grown up with waaay to much and never had to work for it like most of us did. It's not critical thinking as much as it comes from being coddled.

Of all the advanced math courses I took in high school and college, the course I've actually found the most
useful in real life was one I took as a "slack-off" course when I was a senior - it was called "Consumer Math"
and taught the basics of balancing a checkbook, how interest works on compound and simple loans, saving for
the future - all the NECESSARY math everyone should have a handle on.
I chose it because I thought it was a goof-off class. What I found was it was ESSENTIAL and every student ought
to take it, it should be mandatory as far as I'm concerned.
Your old enough and it took you till your senior year to learn all that. Now we think todays kids are slow. If you had to earn your own money, had a savings account and paid for everything in cash. Yep just saying you either got screwed or learnt to do things.

I fail to see when it became a bad thing, to care about using your native language correctly.

Don't rely on spellcheck, or autocorrect. It's a crutch. And, many times, it's flat-out wrong. Use your brain. Keep it exercised, and in shape. It's the only one you get!
Just remember everyone likes a little *** but know one likes a smart *** for long.

Your old enough and it took you till your senior year to learn all that. Now we think todays kids are slow. If you had to earn your own money, had a savings account and paid for everything in cash. Yep just saying you either got screwed or learnt to do things.
Well then, you're "just saying" a lot of incorrect things about me - assuming much, based on little.
Congrats on that...and nice try.
Allow me to retort:

By my senior year, I was already carrying my first car note, had my own line of credit at the bank
and had my own credit card. I had jobs that showed up on company ledgers starting at 15; before that,
the usual grass mowing and such around the neighborhood for cash from age 12 or so.
I was one of those who never studied for tests, yet carried straight A's through the majority of my
school years, with many advanced placement courses and attempts at moving me up in grades (which my
father never allowed, due to his concern for putting me in with older kids more than anything else).

The schools loved using kids as test experiments often in those days; as a result, those of us with the best
grades were oftentimes tossed into testing programs developed to determine "IQ" or such.
For many years, one girl in my grade level and myself were top scorers for those....
and to keep me occupied during the school days when I had completed my weeks' worth of work mid-week,
I was allowed to read in the library - which I did. Every book in it, in fact, by 4th grade, despite the fact the
school was through 7th grade in those days.
I got first dibs on any new arrivals there, whether prose or educational in nature...a voracious reader I was.

At home, not only did I have a GREAT pair of parents who taught me tons from an early age about everything
in life, but I attended public schools back when they still educated children, as opposed to indoctrinating
them as they do now.
I am SO grateful to have been a kid in those days and I'm sorry that kids today can't have the same
experiences we did.

I was blessed with "horse sense", too - things have to make logical sense for me to appreciate them as
a result. Chaos, randomness, reckless things frustrate me easily.

So, to answer your baseless accusations - yes, I found the class not to be a slacker course, but one that ANY
teen about to enter the world needed to take.
No, that doesn't mean I didn't know anything about the subject prior to taking it - that's your incorrect assumption.
In fact, I spent many of the classes helping the instructor with the others as a sort of makeshift "teachers' aide" -
it kept me from getting in trouble for being bored.

Wow! A 95 post thread on overpriced tomatoes. What's that got to do with Mopars?

And there it is, post #61 Steve yet once again makes any thread about hating Trump, just can't stop can you Steve?.
I know I’ll catch hell for this but it won’t be the first, so here goes. I have 6 kids, 5 daughters and a son, 8 grandkids, 6 girls and 2 boys. They range in age from 3-36 with my oldest granddaughter being 16. Todays kids ( even ours ) were brought up different than we were. In a lot of ways it was and is much harder on them than we had it. I know for a fact from experience with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and various other kid related activities who’s to blame. It’s our generation people! This getting trophies for participation and you can’t do that to my Johnny or Janie **** is and has been going on for too long. Most, ( and believe me I know because I was very lucky to be able to be involved with my kids stuff ) had built in babysitters. Drop them off and I’ll pick them up after, or I can’t go on the camping trip, I have something else to do. The true parents who did get involved, my hat and heart goes out to them. 90 % of parents didn’t want to get involved. Then they wonder why is my kid acting like this and has no respect for me? The money thing, think about it. In 7th and 8th grade we were taught about money, checkbooks, etc.. The comment made about that young lady was truly disgusting in every way. If you have a daughter or granddaughter, how would you feel if someone said that about her? I know, it makes you sound like a big man! To other losers, maybe, unless they have girls in the picture. Then Oh Well, just shows part of the problem today! We had it pretty lucky growing up, jobs were plentiful, our parents cared, we didn’t have parents who defended even our wrong doings and most of all were taught respect! Who raised this last batch of useless kids ( as a lot of you call them ) we have today? Three guesses and the first two won’t count. How’s that for easy? If you need another hint, look in the mirror as was written before!

I know I’ll catch hell for this but it won’t be the first, so here goes. I have 6 kids, 5 daughters and a son, 8 grandkids, 6 girls and 2 boys. They range in age from 3-36 with my oldest granddaughter being 16. Todays kids ( even ours ) were brought up different than we were. In a lot of ways it was and is much harder on them than we had it. I know for a fact from experience with the Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and various other kid related activities who’s to blame. It’s our generation people! This getting trophies for participation and you can’t do that to my Johnny or Janie **** is and has been going on for too long. Most, ( and believe me I know because I was very lucky to be able to be involved with my kids stuff ) had built in babysitters. Drop them off and I’ll pick them up after, or I can’t go on the camping trip, I have something else to do. The true parents who did get involved, my hat and heart goes out to them. 90 % of parents didn’t want to get involved. Then they wonder why is my kid acting like this and has no respect for me? The money thing, think about it. In 7th and 8th grade we were taught about money, checkbooks, etc.. The comment made about that young lady was truly disgusting in every way. If you have a daughter or granddaughter, how would you feel if someone said that about her? I know, it makes you sound like a big man! To other losers, maybe, unless they have girls in the picture. Then Oh Well, just shows part of the problem today! We had it pretty lucky growing up, jobs were plentiful, our parents cared, we didn’t have parents who defended even our wrong doings and most of all were taught respect! Who raised this last batch of useless kids ( as a lot of you call them ) we have today? Three guesses and the first two won’t count. How’s that for easy? If you need another hint, look in the mirror as was written before!
uhhh, what the hell are you talking about?, I didn't make any comments about a girl or kids or anything that your talking about so don't quote me. Stick to what you do best, hitting the like button for anything posted by your buddy Steve. Do you even read the content of his posts?.

Last edited:
Today is Saturday Steve, you got yourself so worked up you don't even know what ******* day it is,lol.
Dan, its Saturday evening, I simply wished you a enjoyable Sunday which of course is tomorrow. Trust me I would never let you or anyone like you get me worked up....But hey whose dropping the F bomb, so I guess maybe your the one worked up, just like you got the last time when you wrote that crap to me. Now go away ok, where done here.

I find it interesting that folks on this Forum can argue about ideals ferociously; but at a car show, they can be best of buds. Focus on the commonalities and casually discuss the differences. That works for me & my (liberal) mother-in-law.

uhhh, what the hell are you talking about?, I didn't make any comments about a girl or kids or anything that your talking about so don't quote me. Stick to what you do best, hitting the like button for anything posted by your buddy Steve. Do you even read the content of his posts?.
'' Your buddy Steve". LOl.... As a matter of fact he did read my posts....The guy who responded to you was not quoting you about the vulgar comments made about that young lady written by another member here, he simply is pointing out what was said .
You on the other hand took one sentence out of what I posted and threw your usual hissy fit.
I understand you, your comments your attitudes, the way you come off when things are said you dont agree with

Wow! A 95 post thread on overpriced tomatoes. What's that got to do with Mopars?

we all need to rant now and then; or just post up some bullshit to discuss...... for many of us, this forum is our only form of social media.

and it wasn't about the tomatoes. It was about the dumb twit; and the ever growing mountain of stupidity we are forced to overcome on a daily basis :)

General Discussion
Forum for general discussion and other non automotive stuff.

Last edited:
Sir, I didn’t mean you, I apologize! I meant Mr. cranium ( I’m being nice ). That was truly an asinine statement to make on his part. Again, I apologize, and yes I do and I will when it’s appropriate! Take care! Does that make you feel better?

That stupidity has been with us for a long, long time.
If we could imagine with the girl had to say about the jurk that couldn't make change. It works both ways. We all know there is a coin shortage don't we.
Well then, you're "just saying" a lot of incorrect things about me - assuming much, based on little.
Congrats on that...and nice try.
Allow me to retort:

By my senior year, I was already carrying my first car note, had my own line of credit at the bank
and had my own credit card. I had jobs that showed up on company ledgers starting at 15; before that,
the usual grass mowing and such around the neighborhood for cash from age 12 or so.
I was one of those who never studied for tests, yet carried straight A's through the majority of my
school years, with many advanced placement courses and attempts at moving me up in grades (which my
father never allowed, due to his concern for putting me in with older kids more than anything else).

The schools loved using kids as test experiments often in those days; as a result, those of us with the best
grades were oftentimes tossed into testing programs developed to determine "IQ" or such.
For many years, one girl in my grade level and myself were top scorers for those....
and to keep me occupied during the school days when I had completed my weeks' worth of work mid-week,
I was allowed to read in the library - which I did. Every book in it, in fact, by 4th grade, despite the fact the
school was through 7th grade in those days.
I got first dibs on any new arrivals there, whether prose or educational in nature...a voracious reader I was.

At home, not only did I have a GREAT pair of parents who taught me tons from an early age about everything
in life, but I attended public schools back when they still educated children, as opposed to indoctrinating
them as they do now.
I am SO grateful to have been a kid in those days and I'm sorry that kids today can't have the same
experiences we did.

I was blessed with "horse sense", too - things have to make logical sense for me to appreciate them as
a result. Chaos, randomness, reckless things frustrate me easily.

So, to answer your baseless accusations - yes, I found the class not to be a slacker course, but one that ANY
teen about to enter the world needed to take.
No, that doesn't mean I didn't know anything about the subject prior to taking it - that's your incorrect assumption.
In fact, I spent many of the classes helping the instructor with the others as a sort of makeshift "teachers' aide" -
it kept me from getting in trouble for being bored.
So what was the point of your post then.
Us deplorables were taught all that good stuff in reimedeal math in the 8th grade. Not sure why though we all were taught how to count change long time before that.

Auto Transport Service
Back