• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I think I have a brake issue...but I'm not sure

So, pulled the rotors and retorqued the bearings; the passenger side was a little lighter than the drivers, but I don't think it was enough to make a difference, but it's checked off the list.
And as several of you pointed out, the tangs on the outside pad were not flat against the caliper on either side. And couple of bangs on each pad and they sit flush. Sanded down the glazed pad, that was the longest part of the project. Lastly, I torqued the caliper hold-down bracket bolt a little tighter than before.
Spent Saturday on the brakes, Sunday took the Coronet on a 50 mile round trip. First, with the front end jacked up, when shaking the wheel the clinking sound is gone. :thumbsup:
The moaning sound has almost completely disappeared. It will be fine 10 stops in a row, 11th there will still be a slight noise on the driver side. At this point it feels like either the outside pad is still not flush with the caliper or the (brand new) caliper piston is hanging up just a little. Going to take it on another outing this weekend if the weather permits and see how it goes.
Thanks to everyone for their help - I'll keep you posted. :thankyou:

Next thing would be check both sides and see if one is hotter than the other(cool one has something wrong). Watch ur fingers when checking!!!

Good to hear you made some progress.
Personally I would not bother too much with the moaning sound.
It also depends a little on what type of pad you are using, a "sport" style pad will produce a moaning sound easier compared with a standard type.
This is just due to the material of the pad that wants to grab and hold on to the rotor.
On all my cars I use the "sport" style pads and when driving slowly and applying the brake the do this as well, but never heard it before with the OEM pads and rotors.
They just cause more friction and want to eat your rotors :)

Auto Transport Service
Back