• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to boost my all-drum brakes - yes, I just typed that

"First you should have at least 18Hg of vacuum at idle, it increases on deceleration so don't be fooled by this higher value."

Not necessarily so. I run a booster on my car and the motor pulls 12"-13". It worked fine with disc/drum and fine with 4 wheel discs.

Best go check with the experts who really know power brake systems. You can run 10Hg of vacuum if you wish, just don't travel the same roads I'm on.

All 66-70 b-bodies power brake boosters use the linkage from the booster to the pedal, disc or drums.
It appears you are correct, sir.
I took a pic under my dash today:
brake pedal linkage.jpg

That thar is a straight link from pedal swivel to the back of the master cylinder. Reckon I'll be needing all that knuckle-joint stuff if I'm going to convert this beast to power.
Oh well....

Thank you to 69Runner for pointing out I don't have a clutch pedal rubber stop on my clutch! I'm just happy the car has progressed to just needing little things like that, trust me. :thankyou:

On my 63 I added a dual Master cyl and removed the single one on my 63. I had to cut and modify a few lines but I left the stock prop valve in and it has worked good since 2006. I know that dont help you much but I can tell you I run a very aggressive cam when it comes to making good vacum for power brakes. My cam is .585 & .592 lift with 264 & 270 @ .050. It is a good size booster and it stores enough vacum for about 2 hits of the pedal. It actually works pretty good but I admit its not as good as it could be. If I am cruising at speed it has enough vacum to build right back up but at idle I know after the second hit of the pedal its slower building up. Its no problem for me as I drove manual drum brake cars much of my life. But if you use a mild cam you should ok on vacum. Of course always test it on a easy drive first. Good luck with it. Ron

409849854.jpg

On my 63 I added a dual Master cyl and removed the single one on my 63. I had to cut and modify a few lines but I left the stock prop valve in and it has worked good since 2006. I know that dont help you much but I can tell you I run a very aggressive cam when it comes to making good vacum for power brakes. My cam is .585 & .592 lift with 264 & 270 @ .050. It is a good size booster and it stores enough vacum for about 2 hits of the pedal. It actually works pretty good but I admit its not as good as it could be. If I am cruising at speed it has enough vacum to build right back up but at idle I know after the second hit of the pedal its slower building up. Its no problem for me as I drove manual drum brake cars much of my life. But if you use a mild cam you should ok on vacum. Of course always test it on a easy drive first. Good luck with it. Ron
VERY nice ride, sir.
What did you have to do to hook up the booster to your brake pedal?

VERY nice ride, sir.
What did you have to do to hook up the booster to your brake pedal?

Nothing as my car had power brakes but with a single master cyl. I just unbolted the single master cyl and the dual master cyl bolted right on just the same and works great with a full pedal. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back