• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I want to try worn out front shocks on my 73

Paul_G

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
I want to try a pair of worn out front shocks on my 73. This will be for drag racing only. I need the front to lift on take off. Worn shocks on the front is an old school trick I want to try. Wish I would have kept the ones that were on the car. Anyone have a pair they want to get rid of?

Don't do that. Not safe as the front may or will bounce all over the place. Get some adjustable shocks that you can adjust as needed.

Adjustable / drag shocks are quite reasonable $ brand new and will give you the pressure needed for controlled down settlement.

No such thing as a cheap adjustable shock. A worn out shock will allow the front to rise very well. And they are not dangerous to use for a specific purpose like drag racing. This is not a drag car I am putting them on. It is a street cruiser with a honking engine that can't get traction. It is not a purpose built drag car.

Competition Engineering makes an adjustable front drag shock for under $75. It appears to be for 72 and earlier, so you'd have to add spacers or sleeve the lower bushing to fit 73 perhaps. The joy of finding parts for 73 and up B bodies.

I've done it. Front comes up too quick and unloads the rear. Then it spins.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back