• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was learning about this fatal wreck in a 1969 Daytona.

SteveSS

Local time
5:25 AM
Reaction score
I'm not really a race fan but I was watching a video about the 40 people killed racing at Daytona. Tal Prince. The engine blew and poured oil on the tires.

Fatal accident[edit]​

In the second of the two 125 mile qualifying races for the Daytona 500 he blew an engine on his Dodge Daytona and went into a slide. Bill Seifert, who was following behind Prince, got into oil, lost control, and crashed head on into the driver's door of Prince's car. Prince was killed instantly. He was buried at the Roselawn Cemetery in Decatur, Alabama, and was survived by two sons and a daughter.[2][1] His crash was similar to Harold Kite's fatal crash in 1965.

I'm not really a race fan but I was watching a video about the 40 people killed racing at Daytona. Tal Prince. The engine blew and poured oil on the tires.

Fatal accident[edit]​

In the second of the two 125 mile qualifying races for the Daytona 500 he blew an engine on his Dodge Daytona and went into a slide. Bill Seifert, who was following behind Prince, got into oil, lost control, and crashed head on into the driver's door of Prince's car. Prince was killed instantly. He was buried at the Roselawn Cemetery in Decatur, Alabama, and was survived by two sons and a daughter.[2][1] His crash was similar to Harold Kite's fatal crash in 1965.

"Tab", not "Tal"

Motorsport Memorial -

prince_fertitta.jpg

When I saw Tab I thought it was a mistake since Tal would be the shortened version of his first name. I just never learned about the wreck because normally the stories were all so good about the winged cars.

I believe that Daytona has been found and is being restored. They can see where sections of the body structure and part of the roll cage were replaced post crash back in the day.

Just saw this and read the Wiki page.... says this poor guys entire pro career started and ended on this day.... a mere 18 laps. :(

Young man ... lots of talent I’m sure RIP.

I have seen live in person over a decades worth of all kinds of racing at Daytona and Sebring in the 60's/70's. Many I have seen racing over the years that were fatally injured at other races, so I was aware of it, like Fireball Roberts, Ken Miles, Mark Donahue, etc

I apparently did see one race track fatality November 2019 at Sebring. A car driven by a Neurosurgeon from Texas was sharing the car with other drivers. I was in the boxes above the pits when during the race the car, came into the pits with front end damage, The crew made a quick assessment, and the car went back to the garages. A few minutes later the car returned to the track with a new front end and resumed racing. Not sure if there had been a driver change.

After maybe two laps the car re-entered the pits and headed to it's pit stall, the last one on pit road. It was observing a reduced pit lane speed limit. The car however never turned into the it's pit stall, it just came chugging to a complete stop in the middle of the pit road, almost blocking the pit road, the officials, were yelling, It looked/sounded like the driver stopped the car with just the brakes. in gear, and never used the clutch. The pit crew jump over the pit wall and ran out to the car to push/pull it into the stall. Car would not budge even after a lot of effort back and forth by the pit crew. Thinking it was a trans linkage problem? the crew chief ran out to the car and opened the driver's door and leaned in to communicate I suppose, he finally reached over to Shift the tranny himself.
The car's driver never moved a muscle this whole time. Two crew members opened the front bonnet, and one climbed up and was fiddling with the foot pedal area of the car. I stopped taking pictures, something seemed very off and very wrong, Nobody in the sky box could understand the situation, neither did I, but it looked bad. The crew chief went over and talked to pit Steward, and within 2 minutes an ambulance crew showed up, and EMT's extracted the limp motionless driver onto a stretcher, they performed no procedures and drove him less than 50 yards to the track's infield hospital. Meanwhile the pit road was almost blocked as the crew worked and exiting cars were backing up, the pit crew got the race car moved. 15 minutes later the same ambulance left the track hospital headed into town hauling. The neurosurgeon race driver never regained consciousness, it was reported later he oddly died of a brain aneurysm.
However, I suspect he passed doing what he loved, he didn't hurt anybody, he brought the car back unscratched, and he likely was very near death driving down pit road for the last time.

IMG_2023.JPG

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back