• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was really tempted to buy and flip this car

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:54 PM
Reaction score
I guess i'm watching to many copart walkarounds on youtube (Auto Auction Rebuilds) lately. :D

1972-Ford-Torino-2H35Q212133-1.jpg

I know it's not a mopar but i think that's a sharp looking 72 gran torino with a great color combination.
Underhood looks also pretty clean and that damage in the driver side rear doesn't look too bad to me.
(I have a bodyshop that could take care of that without paying retail prices)

But thankfully(?) i know better than to buy a salvage car from an insurance company on copart sight unseen.

Especially after looking at the driver side rocker panel which to me looks like it has several rust holes?
1972-Ford-Torino-2H35Q212133-7.jpg

Does not really ad up with the nice engine bay.
Wheels obviously look hideous and would need replaced with some factory steel rims and poverty caps.

So all in all i wonder if i missed out on a good opportunity or saved myself from loosing a bunch of money.
Who knows maybe its a solid car but maybe it has major rust issues (rotten framerails etc.), electrial nightmare, engine about to blow up or a bunch
of bondo all over it.

I found the auction 2 days before end so it was to short for me to find someone to look at it.
I would have bid up to 10k USD (pre fees) if i would have bid on it. (It apparently sold for 8.6k usd before fees.)

Yeah - But I think you did the right thing. Buying a car that way…. It’s a license to take a bath. Keep your dough for the real right thing and one you can lay eyes on….

Anytime I see rust coming through a main component like the rockers you have to wonder what it looks like elsewhere.

I had a '66 LTD that looked beautiful on the outside and interior but the frame was rusting in half. I wouldn't buy anything without a thorough, eyes on inspection.

I can relate. I was giving this one some serious thoughts .
1969 Impala convertible.
matching numbers 427 auto car.

What was driving it was I'l be in the area in a few weeks with an empty trailer

It sold before I could get a local guy near it to go take a look

impala.jpg

impala2.jpg

impala3.jpg

impala4.jpg

Keep your dough for the real right thing and one you can lay eyes on….
Which is of course always the best thing. In case you hire someone for a pre purchase inspection i would always advice picking someone you know if possible.
Because when i bought my charger i hired a complete stranger and got surprises like a bypassed heater core when the inspector told me the a/c and heat is working fine. :D

Which is of course always the best thing. In case you hire someone for a pre purchase inspection i would always advice picking someone you know if possible.
Because when i bought my charger i hired a complete stranger and got surprises like a bypassed heater core when the inspector told me the a/c and heat is working fine. :D
Just so you know - there are reputable guys on here that may live close enough to scout the car for you gratis - and even more likely since you’re across the pond. I’ve done it several times and others are willing too. Good luck in your search ….

Give up on Z06 & ZR-1 models @Michael_ ?

Just so you know - there are reputable guys on here that may live close enough to scout the car for you - and even more likely since you’re across the pond. I’ve done it several times and others are willing too. Good luck in your search ….

I'm not actively looking for cars to buy/flip. I just came across this one and it looked nice. Kind of an impulse buy ... almost.
But if i do (and i might at some point) this would be the way to go.
Even better would be flying to the united states myself but this obviously does not make sense for a car in that price range.

Give up on Z06 & ZR-1 models @Michael_ ?

I never looked for a Z06 only the 1990 model year ZR-1 specifically. But this would be a different story because i would most likely never sell that car which would mean selling the 560 SEC due to space and also financial reasons which i also do not really want to do at this time.

Also one thing i did not give much thought is the fact that this car has a salvage title.
I have no idea how problematic it would be to find a buyer for this here in germany willing to pay a good price given that fact.
I mean i could show them the damage picture but still. Most non car people (mustang buyers) would be probably scared off and the car people probably try to lowball because of that. :D

Edit:
I was kinda aware of that fact, but i also kinda ignored it.

Last edited:
@DeltaV

which would mean selling the 560 SEC due to space and also financial reasons which i also do not really want to do at this time.

Lets say they come up with a speed limit on the autobahn then i would deeply regret swapping the 560 SEC for the ZR-1. (And they are talking about that for quite a while now)

Edit:

And since our politics just legalised cannabis and hang out with "gangster rappers" this is pretty likely to happen.

03ozxc3nckjc1.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back