• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Idea for lifting a car

So, I tried them out over the weekend. First I used them on the base height just under the front of the Caddy to do an oil change. Plenty of height for that project. View attachment 835168

Then I put them under the road runner. First on the base setting. There was a lot of room under the car at this height.View attachment 835171

Then up to full height. The car was rock steady at this height. I pushed on each side and front and back to see if it would rock at all, and not even a little rocking. I do still plan to set some 4X4 fence posts in the jacks at this height just for some extra security
View attachment 835174 View attachment 835175
Almost looks like the larger danger would be the car rolling off the stands, as opposed to the stand(s) actually failing catastrophically. No room to chock the tires! Are you simply setting the parking brake & leaving it in gear (or “park” if an auto trans)?

The process to get the car onto the stands was a bit involved, but likely due to an abundance of caution on my part. I did one corner at a time and to avoid jacking a corner up so high independently of the others, I went i steps using wood under each wheel and switching sides back and forth. I did the fronts first and then the backs. Once on the low setting, its very quick to get up to the highest setting. To be honest, there is plenty of room under the car at the low setting and virtually no chance of any failure as no weight is dependent on any pins. The lifts have recesses built into them where the tires sit, so chocks are kind of built in. I had the car in park and the parking brake on. Regardless, once on the lifts, it wasn't going to roll.

I am swapping transmissions in a couple of weeks. I plan to do most of the work under the car with the jacks at the low setting. The only time I would need to go higher is if there is not enough room to slide the trans in/out from under the car without raising the car all the way up.

this is what i use, there great but I have to use my engine hoist to move the around any, they weight about 400 lbs each, but, I feel safe !

Resized_20160703_155711.jpeg Resized_20160825_175820.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back