• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

identifying a car by serial number?

spoolinhard

Local time
7:33 AM
Reaction score
I am thinking heavily about buying a pretty darn solid 70 charger with no tags. It was parted for all its was worth and there is nothing left to identify the thing. The vin is stamped on the rad support and trunk, but that is all there is. It is stripped clean, no suspension, nothing. I wouldnt be considering this if it wasnt so darn clean and reasonably priced. I am thinking that I very well could be purchasing a car that I will have to put a title under, just wandering if there was any way to identify it with the serial number to get a legal title for it.

thanks
-Kaleb

Does it have the original fender tag or broadcast sheet? They will have the complete V.I.N.

The V.I.N. on the rad. support and trunk lip are only partials which will only tell you which plant it was built in the year of the car and the last six digits of the V.I.N. there is no way to tell what engine it came with of what model such as base Charger, 500, or R/T.

The only way you will bet a title without any other info is through your local DMV if they will issue one. When you go to sell it this will be a big downgrade on it's value.

So you probably don't have the full VIN on the rad support but you have the important part, which is the sequence number. You know it's a Charger so the full VIN starts with an X. Next would be a P or S for R/T. Then 29 for Charger. Any clue what engine it had? Check the floor pan for a second tail pipe hanger on the drivers side. That would typically indicate a high perf engine. Taking this info into account and checking the GG white book to see which model had the highest production numbers (I'm guessing 318) you might be able to piece together the actual VIN for that car. Does XP29G0Bxxxxxx sound out of the question? From the CA point of view assuming you hit it dead on and find records you will most likely need a bill of sale and a bunch of signatures from past owner/s. If it fell off the computer you will need a DMV verification. Otherwise I'm pretty sure you can get a VIN reassigned after it's determined the car is not stolen.

Auto Transport Service
Back