• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If You Ain’t First You’re Last

padam

Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
UMTR North had its banquet last night. 2023 was my first year racing with them, and although I didn’t do as well as I’d hoped, I came in 9th in points.

I didn’t know they were giving awards to the top ten so it was a nice surprise.

IMG_2650.jpeg

Congratulations! It is always nice to have your hard work recognized.

Excellent! If I knew how, I would have posted Mike Myers from "Wayne's World" doing his "thumbs up excellent!"
:thumbsup:

Nice job ! It's not easy going rounds in that group of stick racers. There is a lot of work making your program successful with a violent drivetrain.
Gus

Nice job ! It's not easy going rounds in that group of stick racers. There is a lot of work making your program successful with a violent drivetrain.
Gus
It’s taken me a couple years. Basically all Strange stuff.

Traction has continued to be a problem so I had ladder bars installed this year, not going to waste another season fighting it.

But I will tell you; all of the stick guys battle the same problems.

If I were younger and getting into the game I would go with the greatest invention for drag racing, the modern automatic transmission.

It was a really nice banquet. UMTR races at a bunch of different tracks, and 3 of the track operators were there.
They also line up many sponsors that make for some nice pay offs. Some of the sponsors came to the banquet including two guys from Summit Racing.

I think if there were more organizations like UMTR racing would be in better shape.

It was a really nice banquet. UMTR races at a bunch of different tracks, and 3 of the track operators were there.
They also line up many sponsors that make for some nice pay offs. Some of the sponsors came to the banquet including two guys from Summit Racing.

I think if there were more organizations like UMTR racing would be in better shape.
Yeah I used to race more with UMTR about 15 years ago when I had more time on my hands and racing was A LOT less expensive.
I remember when Mike was getting the whole North deal going he would give me a pack of 100 fliers to hand out to every stick guy I knew. I always had a fun day racing with the UMTR guys.
I will probably see you at the track this summer for a few races.
Gus

Yeah I used to race more with UMTR about 15 years ago when I had more time on my hands and racing was A LOT less expensive.
I remember when Mike was getting the whole North deal going he would give me a pack of 100 fliers to hand out to every stick guy I knew. I always had a fun day racing with the UMTR guys.
I will probably see you at the track this summer for a few races.
Gus
That sounds great

racing was A LOT less expensive.
Speaking of expenses and racing getting that way. About 40 years ago, I recall a guy who bought an old Plymouth Valiant 4 door from the early 60's vintage with a 170 push button automatic tranny. He paid $25 for the car and painted it light blue with a brush. The tires were also well worn. He bought a tachometer for it that cost more than the car and mounted it on the dash. He made a couple runs with it until he felt he could be consistent, always shifting at the same rpms; just pushing buttons. Well, he only ran in the eliminator races class in bracket racing. At the end of the might he might be up against a anything, including a dragster. This was a small track in NJ (Island Dragway). Well, the guy in the Valiant was so consistent, that he almost always won as his competition had to wait until this guy was spotted halfway down the track before launch. The result was that his competitor either broke out of his bracket, red lighted or just plain couldn't catch him. The guy with his old Plymouth had won more than $2,000 with that car. He had so many win stickers in his windows they covered the entire rear window and both rear side windows. Word was that he never even changed the oil in the car or put new tires on it and retired selling the car for several hundred dollars! "Bobtile" might remember that old car at the track!
:lol:

Last edited:
Ricky Bobby is that you :poke:

congrats @padam on your 9th place

I'll tell you what's crazy.
Out of the top ten cars in 2 classes, the only other Mopar was a Neon.
1 AMC Javelin
9 Mustangs out of 20 cars.

Auto Transport Service
Back