• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IF you had a chance, would you take a 1968 OR 1969 L-88 ?

How about a WS-12, 68 post Coronet 440 with 426 Hemi/4 speed? Controversy as to whether there there was two or 4 produced.

I've had b & e bodies, mercurys, fords, and one chebby. A 74 vette. It was hands down the worst of all of them. You're right calf gets so hot laying against the trans tunnel that your pant leg gets wet with sweat. The stock 350 was a turd. My cuda would have ran circles around it.
Once while driving in the mid lane i started to make a lane change to the fast lane. I got 1/3 of the way over before i could see that i was veering into someone. I quickly yanked it back into the mid lane. Which sent me literally spinning in circles. I finally came to a stop- facing oncoming traffic. I would never own another. Especially one with a hi dollar motor.

C-1, C-2, C-3 Corvettes handle about as good as a streamlined brick. I trounced a shitload of them with my 3 bone stock, no sway barred, 318 B bods in the twists, I mean NO contest!
That said, I sure would love to have my Dad's special order 66 427 Corvette with upgraded Kelsey Hayes brakes. Very fast in a straight line, UNBELIEVABLE brakes, but a slippery, twitchy, skeery corner cutter.

That would be one fast 318 car then - I imagine the driver being the most relevant part here .
My buddies corvette out handled every car I was in my Chevelle included .

B bodies do handle well my Charger is better in the corners than the Chevelle as well .

I like the early 60s Chevys.
I have a few 60s C-10s that will get restored

shhhh
We'll get BANNED from the forum.....!!!

PS: I'm selling my 200 mile odometer 2007 Shelby GT 500
May be getting:

ZZ427.jpg

1955 Bel Air.jpg

Vets are overrated. The Dodge for me.

shhhh

May be getting:

View attachment 556201

View attachment 556202
Cool ride ski
I have a liking for the tri-5's also
My dad loves 55's
I personally love 57's, especially Nomads :realcrazy:

--------------------------------------------------

There's a little something about
AMC, Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds & even select Fords
I like in certain years & select models...
I've had some very fast & even some great handling
various Brand X stuff, of all them makes...

That still doesn't mean I don't love my Mopars,
Mopars are my 1st love, always will be !!

I'm just an equal opportunity Muscle Car & performance guy,
GM's are easy to build & can get parts so easily,
Bolt-on stuff make 800+ HP easily,
at the drop of a hat on a budget
you can't do that with Mopars,
believe me I know !!

IMO you need to really know your ****,
probably will exclusively need/use all aftermarket components
or have to pay someone that knows his ****
to get 800+ out of a Wedge or even a Hemi,
& will it live {?} & it won't be on any budget...
Not to say the probably 2x's the $$$ to get that type power,
sometimes you have to do what you have to do,
that doesn't mean you're a traitor, by any stretches of the imaginations...

IMO it just means you're more open minded...
Or willing to compromise on some things :poke:
Especially if you race on a tight budget or for a living...

I love cars, especially racecars & Muscle Car era cars...

Cool ride ski
I have a liking for the tri-5's also
My dad loves 55's
I personally love 57's, especially Nomads :realcrazy:

There's a little something about
AMC Chevy Buick Pontiac Olds & even Fords
I like in certain years & models...
I've had some very fast & even some great handling
various Brand X stuff...
That still doesn't mean I don't love my Mopars,
Mopars are my 1st love, always will be !!
I'm just an equal opportunity Muscle Car & performance guy,
GM's are easy to build & can get parts so easily,
Bolt-on stuff make 800+ HP easily,
at the drop of a hat on a budget
you can't do that with Mopars,
believe me I know !!

IMO you need to know your ****
or have to pay someone that knows his ****
to get 800+ out of a Wedge or even a Hemi,
& will it live {?}
not to say the probably 2x's the $$$ to get that power,
sometimes you have to do what you have to do,
that doesn't mean you're a traitor, by any stretches of the imaginations...
IMO it just means you're more open minded...
Or willing to compromise on some things :poke:
Especially if you race on a tight budget or for a living...

Chevy motors are easy and cheap to build especially the 350 - if done right they are pretty bullet proof and make great quick revving motors .
Love the 440 more though it's just a different sound and feel

easy... my father in law owns a 77 vette and at 6'7 i dont even like to think about trying to drive it again...

Almost bought a 66 vette 427 -390 hp 4 SPD last year . My kids were who's going when you go for a cruise . That changed the thought process pretty quick my boys are 18 and 16 and still want to come ..4 seats in the charger and I'm glad I got it I love just looking at it even when it's just sitting in the garage .

That would be one fast 318 car then - I imagine the driver being the most relevant part here .
My buddies corvette out handled every car I was in my Chevelle included .

B bodies do handle well my Charger is better in the corners than the Chevelle as well .
Yes, I'm speaking of tight roads, lots of esses & switchbacks, under 100 mph stuff, the 318 was only good for a 115 top end, but the car was directionally stable at top & broke loose very predictably & was forgiving. I had a 69 Charger 318 & a 69 Coronet 500 318 which were good, but this 68 post Coronet 440 w/ 318 was a lot stiffer under cornering pressure than the hardtops.

IMG_20171220_123651.jpg

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
If the VOLO auto museum is for a handy picture, then ok, BUT...
If you are thinking about BUYING from Volo BE WARNED!! We bought my wife's GTO from Volo. Gas leaking from Tri-power (not that uncommon, but c'mon-fix it if you're the seller, or adjust the price). ALSO-We went there after looking at the car online and I asked a LOT of questions before we made the trip. That 421 knocked and pinged during the test drive WORSE THAN ANYTHING, EVER! Even with my experience driving a standard transmission, keeping the trans in lower gears under light throttle it was hard to keep it from pinging. While we were there I put 32oz of "kill all life on earth" warning labels brand of octane booster in it figuring with all those dire warnings it MUST be good booster :) and mixed in $10 of premium fuel. No improvement. It took me a few weeks after we got home with the Goat to discover the distributor timing was WAY too far advanced! I RE-NEGOTIATED the previously agreed upon price anticipating the need for a rebuild given how badly the knocking damages engines. Boy was I RIGHT! Found low low oil pressure at idle at normal operating temperature. When the 421 started rattling a year or so later, I was lucky/knowledgeable enough to know it was time before it was too late. Found a con rod bearing half that was broken into pieces. I did a sweet rebuild a year ago and learned more about the performance mods that had already been done, which were pretty decent, but no one there had a clue.
A month ago the spider gears in the stock open rear axle disintegrated at our annual track day, which I'm actually THRILLED about because that adds urgency to buying the Ford 9" based posi rear axle assembly with a 3.89 ring and pinion that is going to get the car from high 13s/14 flat into the 12s where it belongs, with no other changes I'm sure. I had to have the 4 speed resealed because it was slightly leaking in numerous places. The heater core took a dump on the passenger floor mat and I have bypassed it for now, anticipating its replacement with a modern combo A/C heat system (it isn't an A/C equipped car).
Bottom line is if it was a stretch having bought it, we would be looking at a broken down $39,000 vehicle, but instead I have actually been able to take lemons and make some sweet lemonade. There are a couple of very minor rust spots that need to be addressed, but nothing that is going to require a repaint due to their locations and minimal degree of incursion.
GO OVER EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY and if it is beyond your ability to assess the mechanical condition of the car, HIRE a local mechanic that YOU SOURCE to inspect it BEFORE you buy it.
They have some really great cars there but consider this: When I asked about the pinging, they said they put regular 87 octane gas in ALL of the cars there (95% of the cars there should be running 93 octane or higher). When I said that seemed foolish given the inventory being mostly high compression motors, their reply was "well we only put about 5 gallons in them". My thought then was ALL THE MORE REASON to use premium fuel!!
Good luck!

Chevy motors are easy and cheap to build especially the 350 - if done right they are pretty bullet proof and make great quick revving motors .
Love the 440 more though it's just a different sound and feel
bullet proof ? really....
:(<---my face after blowing up 3 small block chev's....my neighbor has a 55, with small block(i think 350)...out of the car more than in..

Just say'n

shhhh

May be getting:

View attachment 556201

View attachment 556202
You know they use to put 427s in grain trucks and Chebby 302s in Combines (harvesters for you city folk)
Obviously they weren't they exact same as the Hi Performing models but still a cool little nugget of useless knowledge.

Go for it, just as long as you don't get rid of that Sweet Gremlin!

bullet proof ? really....
:(<---my face after blowing up 3 small block chev's....my neighbor has a 55, with small block(i think 350)...out of the car more than in..

Just say'n
Raced at the track 7000 rpm for 10 years never broke till it got tired .Then it became a 383 stroker .
1970 350/350 was a tough motor but it was built right .

Hemi Superbird would be my b body of choice. I own a C3 Vette with a stout 383 stroker and my 69 road runner with a built 440 will still pull the Vette faster than it will run. My b body Mopar will do everthing better than the Vette except cornering but I have a Honda CRX that will out corner the Vette.

I had a Chrysler Crossfire that would out corner my 66 /427 /'vette roadster (yes, the 427 roadster would blow the CC off the road) but,
I miss the CC a lot..
100_4716.JPG

I had a Chrysler Crossfire that would out corner my 66 /427 /'vette roadster (yes, the 427 roadster would blow the CC off the road) but,
I miss the CC a lot..
View attachment 556596
I've been to the Crossfire forum. The SRT V6 was a Mercedes mill IIRC and suitable for some serious output without going into the short block. BEAUTIFUL cars, great handling from what I've seen and read. I wonder how my 6' 3" 250 (or so) body would fit in one?

Auto Transport Service
Back