• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IF you had a chance, would you take a 1968 OR 1969 L-88 ?

HEMI

Would always take the HEMI but the ZL-1 is the top dog for the '69 Vette. If I recall, it was "rated" less than the L-88. ;)

Recent article:

What's the fastest muscle car of all time? To quote Paul Revere and the Raiders' song "SS396," you can "Forget about your Hemis and your GTOs," and while you're at it, you can also forget about 428 Cobra Jets, W-30 Olds and Pontiac 455s, Buick GS455 Stage 1s, LS6 454s, and every other heavy-hitter that's ever attempted to lay claim to the title of world's fastest muscle car. That honor goes to the '69 L88 Corvette, and we're not just bench racing. We've got not just one, but a pair of record-breakers to prove it.

Julie Pennington and her 1969 L-88!

Terry and Julie Pennington, of Mishawaka, Indiana, drive the matching Corvettes. Terry competes in F.A.S.T. and Julie in Factory Stock (a division of F.A.S.T.) and at the Pure Stock Drags. Both have risen to the highest heights of their classes in these L88-spec cars. Stock racing requires the car to be close to showroom condition, while F.A.S.T. mandates a stock look and tire size, but encourages creative modifications internally. The competition is tough, and for Corvettes to hold both records simultaneously is unprecedented. But it's yet another testament to the engineering built into these incredible automobiles.

corp_0906_02_z+1969_chevrolet_corvette+pair.jpg

For years, Car and Driver's Nov. '65 road test of a 427 Cobra-12.20 at 118 mph-stood as the fastest quarter-mile time of any production car. No longer. Terry and Julie Pennington and their twin L88 Corvettes now own both Pure Stock and F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearing Stock Tires) classes.

corp_0906_07_z+1969_chevrolet_corvette+julie_pennington.jpg

Stir the pot....
Or 64 Thunderbolt, 66 Shelby Cobra. COPO/Yenko (any flavor), 64 Hemi lightweight,....????

Those vetted are fast as hell and handle for cars of the era . But they get extremely hot inside are cramped a pain in the *** to get in and out of .
Always have loved the way they look .
If I couldn't have both I would take the Hemi car who wouldn't .
Are we asking favorite of all time a super bee A12 that's my next car ..
C-1, C-2, C-3 Corvettes handle about as good as a streamlined brick. I trounced a shitload of them with my 3 bone stock, no sway barred, 318 B bods in the twists, I mean NO contest!
That said, I sure would love to have my Dad's special order 66 427 Corvette with upgraded Kelsey Hayes brakes. Very fast in a straight line, UNBELIEVABLE brakes, but a slippery, twitchy, skeery corner cutter.

The 68-70 B-body is the most gorgeous car ever made. Hemi
Bingo!! 100% agree! Very happy with my non #s matching REAL V-Code Roadrunner! A Hemi 70 Roadrunner would be the ONLY thing that could top it (a 68-69-70 Hemi Coronet would be ok too). The thing is, I enjoy beating on and showing my car so much I don't long-at ALL-for anything else and if I had a Hemi car of those vintages instead I'd show and beat on it too!

Bingo!! 100% agree! Very happy with my non #s matching REAL V-Code Roadrunner! A Hemi 70 Roadrunner would be the ONLY thing that could top it (a 68-69-70 Hemi Coronet would be ok too). The thing is, I enjoy beating on and showing my car so much I don't long-at ALL-for anything else and if I had a Hemi car of those vintages instead I'd show and beat on it too!
Hard to pick a favorite from the 68-70 satellite/coronet lineup.
They all have they're good points.
I would have to go with a 69 R/T vert. Or a 70 GTX bench seat 4 sp both a Hemi of course

Taking the value and cost out of the equation for me, and yes, the ZL-1 and L88 Vettes are blazing fast, plus the Vette can turn a corner in stock trim....
and my experience riding in a 67 427/425HP 6bbl Vette was unforgettable...
If you bring the Hemi up to a comparable level of tune to the L88 as in solid lifters and aluminum heads and intake, the speed disparity goes away.
Take them well beyond stock and the Hemi has WAY more power capability than the GM.

I worked on several Vettes back in the late 70s and it seemed like they never had power steering. They steered like a dump truck and rode like a stone wagon. Getting in and out was a pain also. I never had any desire to own one after driving a few.

Hard to pick a favorite from the 68-70 satellite/coronet lineup.
They all have they're good points.
I would have to go with a 69 R/T vert. Or a 70 GTX bench seat 4 sp both a Hemi of course
Initially I was looking for a 69, 68, 70 in that order Super Bee or R/T with a 440. I'm so glad I got a Roadrunner! It is a lot more popular with the folks Crusin the Coast and elsewhere what with the "beep beep" horn, my 4ft stuffed plush Roadrunner behind the wheel and Wile E. Coyote under the front tire. When I'm crusin, I hear so many people tell everyone "light em up" or similar. I hear the same, but just about as often I hear "blow the horn" :)
It adds a lot of fun to the whole experience. Besides, a 70 Roadrunner is a Superbird without the conical nose and wing...lol.

Getting in and out was a pain also.
Another good point. At 56 with lots of mileage on my 6'3" 250 (or so-lol) frame, climbing up and out of a Vette would be kinda painful. I had a 82 Collector's Edition Corvette and I know-it's a lift to get up and out of one.
That's another BIG reason why I like B-bodies...They fit my "Big-body" better! I had a chance to buy a nice 440 auto A-body, but that cramped space and shoulder strap that on me was a NECK strap would have gotten old, real fast.

Another good point. At 56 with lots of mileage on my 6'3" 250 (or so-lol) frame, climbing up and out of a Vette would be kinda painful. I had a 82 Collector's Edition Corvette and I know-it's a lift to get up and out of one.
That's another BIG reason why I like B-bodies...They fit my "Big-body" better! I had a chance to buy a nice 440 auto A-body, but that cramped space and shoulder strap that on me was a NECK strap would have gotten old, real fast.

A boss that I worked for was over six foot, 200 plus lbs, bought himself a Ford Cobra replica, 427 four speed. He stood on the seat then slid down into it. I thought to myself that seat isn't going to last long! Why own something like that?

Nope more like a course Econ. 101

I'd be happy with the L-88 to be able to say: "hey, I got one"

This is not to be confused with anyone of us on the forum being a Chevy fan...by no means.
I typically HATE Chevy's
Exclusively!

But I do have a partial liking to the 55 Chevy's
(Especially with a L-88 engine)

I'd be happy with the L-88 to be able to say: "hey, I got one"

This is not to be confused with anyone of us on the forum being a Chevy fan...by no means.
I typically HATE Chevy's
Exclusively!

But I do have a partial liking to the 55 Chevy's
(Especially with a L-88 engine)
I like the early 60s Chevys.
I have a few 60s C-10s that will get restored

Auto Transport Service
Back