• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch harness...

Ok!!! finally got a sec to check out da diagram...and wadda know!!! i think it is only 5 prong... still gotta yank out da switch plus harness, but i think it will work. Me x2 on da karma, i'm a BIG believer in it...you get out whatever you put in, in many aspects of MoParness and beyond :yes: chignikred, could you try postin' your pic again?? i'd like to take a gander @ it!! Thanks a bunch!!! :grin:

photo

2nd try since Im logged on

Last edited:
Eureka!!!

That's it!! chignikred, PM me 2 negotiate.... :grin:

cool deal. glad to have been a part of this. like happy endings. lol

LOL ya i like happy endings too!!!! Mucho appreciate all your hard work, daredevil!!! :grin::yes:

Woo-hoo!!!

Finally was able to install the under dash harness and the ignition switch i bought, and it works perfectly...so far!! LOL took care of some bare wires that i saw underneath there :black_eye: and she should be good to go!!

:woohoo:

Thanks for sellin' me da harness, chignikred, it was NOS and it was perfect!!!
:tiphat:

I too have a 68 GTX with fried ignition switch. I have a replacement but would like verification of which wires go to which posts (as some melting ocurred on mine). Anyone able to relay a quick diagram?

Thanks

I too have a 68 GTX with fried ignition switch. I have a replacement but would like verification of which wires go to which posts (as some melting ocurred on mine). Anyone able to relay a quick diagram?

Thanks

here ya go...it's towards the bottom; ignition switch

Attachments

• wiring diagram rear.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 143
Thanks Mapar. I too have the diagram but my old eyes are not doing the best following it...at least would like to verfify. For example, I think there are five wires. Red goes to? Blue goes to ? White to? Etc.,, would be greatly appreciated.

Here. This is out of the '69 manual, but I'm sure it's the same. I believe the unused terminal is a ground on some models

You'll have to turn it the right direction to match this up but most switches are marked on the rear

Top left is a large no12 red, battery coming IN

Top right unused

Middle left is dark blue, "ignition run" or "IGN 1" and also feeds the cluster

Middle right is no12 black, accessory feed off to fuse panel

Bottom right is yellow, the start wire to the start relay

Bottom left is brown, "IGN2" the coil resistor bypass circuit

Attachments

• ign.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 142
2 year old post? lol well I need a connector with a bit of lead left for a splice too last of a few under dash clean up items.

save the old posts!!!!!

2 year old post? lol well I need a connector with a bit of lead left for a splice too last of a few under dash clean up items.

Right?? hey what the hell, it's still helping!!! lol

got a pic or diagram of what you need bigman?? i may have misc under dash wires layin' around i would just give ya.

yeah just like the pics above, need the connector and some wire length for a splice.

well guys, with your help from the diagrams (thanks 440raodrunner) I got my new ignition switch in and it fired right up. I back it out, shut it off and re-fired it with no problem...everything seemed great. I took it for a 10 mile cruise for lunch. Then as I went to re-start it, it cranked twice, then NOTHING. Not even headlights working?? Towed it home...not happy as you can imagine...

Today, re-checked wiring on ignition, nothing touching, etc and all wires hooked up. I also tried bypassing Alt gauge and still nothing. But when I jump at solenoid it will crank. So i"m not getting juice to the cabin. What is best way to check ignition switch? Wondering if I should try red wire to ACC and see if "juice" or not? Wonder about fusible link too?

Not sure, but I'm cautious to just "throw parts at it"..especially electrical issues as you just add variables.

Thoughts? Thanks

cool thanks, paypal and I are standing by :)

well, bad news bigman, all i have left is the semi-melted ign harness. no wires! :angryfire: i could have sworn i had some stray wires around but couldn't find them.

they'll prob pop up in 6 months when you dont need them anymore! lol

well guys, with your help from the diagrams (thanks 440raodrunner) I got my new ignition switch in and it fired right up. I back it out, shut it off and re-fired it with no problem...everything seemed great. I took it for a 10 mile cruise for lunch. Then as I went to re-start it, it cranked twice, then NOTHING. Not even headlights working?? Towed it home...not happy as you can imagine...

Today, re-checked wiring on ignition, nothing touching, etc and all wires hooked up. I also tried bypassing Alt gauge and still nothing. But when I jump at solenoid it will crank. So i"m not getting juice to the cabin. What is best way to check ignition switch? Wondering if I should try red wire to ACC and see if "juice" or not? Wonder about fusible link too?

Not sure, but I'm cautious to just "throw parts at it"..especially electrical issues as you just add variables.

Thoughts? Thanks

man that sucks. im not a electrical guy, so i wont be much help for this one...im sure the guys will chime in and help ya though.

No worries I have the original connector just need to find the female lugs that fit in it. Then i will just make my own harness with new wire. Thanks for looking

Use this diagram from MAD electrical to help understand the major supply path. The power comes into the interior of the car through the

fuse link, and goes next to the

bulkhead connector

From there it goes through the ammeter, (red wire) and then comes out (black wire)

The MAIN supply for the interior, if the path is OK up to now, is the IN HARNESS SPLICE, sometimes called the "no1 splice" This is a factory welded splice in the ammeter black wire, taped up in the under--dash harness and supplies

the headlight power to headlight switch (but not tail, park, or dome)

the ignition switch incoming power

the fuse panel hot buss

maybe a couple of other things in some cars

SO get a test light or multimeter, and identify the fuse link which normally "looks funny" and usually has a rubber "tag" on. It comes off the starter relay big stud and goes to the firewall connector. If you have power there, move to the ammeter and see if IT has power.

If not, it's either a bad fuse link, or trouble in the bulkhead connector.

If you have power on both sides of the ammeter, turn on the headlights and see if power drops off. (Putting a load on helps show up a poor connection)

If you still have power on both sides of the ammeter, unhook the battery, do what's necessary to get into the dash harness, and untape, following the black ammeter lead. These splices don't fail very often but they can, have, and do.

Still one more check, with everything hooked up, and headlight switch on, is to see if you have power at the alternator output stud. If you do, but have no headlights, it's a bad factory splice.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

amp-ga18.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back