• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch harness...

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:05 PM
Reaction score
Ok, so i've been look high and low for a part...it's the black plastic harness that connects to the back of this....thanks guys, for your responses! :grin:

ign switch.jpg

A good used one will be an Easy find, ......New or NOS will be a different story.

What year are you dealing with, 68 ?

To be honest, i haven't looked for a while...like two weeks. I got discouraged...i guess i'll try flea-bay again...i would rather have new repro, or NOS, but i guess i could use a decent used one...Although wiring gremlins are a b*tch, and i would like to try and get an unused one, and not have to worry about it again...

What would that part be called? i've looked for it and only get whole engine harnesses

why dont you just forget about the connector and strip the wires and solder connectors on your wires and plug them in the back of the plug. it will save you some money or is this a 100% resto

It's not really a resto...from what i can tell it's about 75% original and drives great! I'm just trying to preserve her more than anything. Your idea would def. work, rider, but i want to exhaust all avenues before i permanently connect the wires

Ummm....that looks like your ignition switch, and the harness that attaches to it is the under dash harness.

if you want one with about 10 inches of wire connented so you can splice it in with butt connecters i have a harness i can cut. 20. shipping included

Thanks guys!!!

Yes it's a 68...sorry didn't see that part of the question. Under dash harness!!!! of course!! figures it would be somethin simple like that..duh! :blush: Hey Daredevil, you have any pics by chance? i maybe interested thanks :grin:

do you have the wires with female connections but just no plug body? heres the one i could clip and a pic of it on a 5 spade switch. matches the 68 diagram. hardest i ever worked for 20 bucks lol

DSC00566 (Large) (2).JPG

DSC00567 (Large).JPG

DSC00570 (Large).JPG

Plug Thingy

LOL I appreciate your hard work!!! I know it's a PITA!!!!! i'll crawl under da dash and take it out and confirm if it's 5 or 6 pin, my memory is failing to serve me right now!!! Going to have to fire him!! :grin: Indeed it's for a 68 GTX, and it is the plastic plug body that the spade (female ends) connectors go into, lock in, and then that whole harness plugs into the back of the ign. switch. My harness plug covers the whole back of the ign. harness tho, it looks like yours is only part of it.. the one i have now works, but two of the slots are melted just enough where if you jiggle it, (huh-huh jiggle) the lights flicker like it's not making a good connection. :sad: I just loooove chasin' electrical gremlins!!! :black_eye: I'll take a few pics and post them over the weekend so you sees whats i'm talkins bout Thanks Devil!!!

Last edited:
ignition

before you start hacking something together. I should have a 68 gtx harness with a fried wire I can take the ignition connector off of it.
I will look this afternoon. PM me with your email address, or if you still need it. these long chains get confusing on real status.

red

Thanks chignikred! It really wouldn't be hackin anything together...i would just pop out the spade ends in the old one and pop them back into the new one!!! :yes: The wires and connectors themselves are ok as far as i can see, it's just that the ends dance inside the opening cuz the plastic is a little melted. chignikred, if you wouldn't mind postin a pic to see if we are on the same page, i would appreciate it! :) I also want to wait and see what daredevil says about his plug before i commit to buying yours...he did a good piece of work takin his connector out and i don't want it to go to waste!!! LOL although two parts would be better than one...maybe i'll just buy both!!! :grin:

no problem here .If his is correct i would like to see you with that one. I believe in karma. If I help you out, somewhere down the road someones gonna help me. did you look at the wiring diagram link?

trying to post

upload function not working on site today
I have a perfect plastic 68 piece.

Auto Transport Service
Back