• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition upgrade, alternator and instrument cluster safety

skylinekiller

Local time
6:30 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to upgrade my ignition system on my 1973 400 NON-Rallye charger. I am about to purchase everything on this page http://www.msdperformance.com/appguidedomestic.aspx The Ignition, coil, distributor, and wires. I also want to upgrade my alternator, but I have heard stories of it messing with the electrical. I have plans to purchase Limiter IVR4 from RTE, but not sure if that alone would solve my problem. This is a lot of money, so I want to make sure I do it safely and correctly.

If someone has another brand or advice for what I am trying to do I would be glad to hear it.

Thank you, the one you posted uses vacuum. From my understanding, the MSD set up does not. Am i mistaken?

the vacuum is for street use.
you didn't mention what application, engine build ect.

Sorry for the lack of information on my part. Quite honestly, I am pretty flexible. I want to drive it about 2 times a week, maybe take to a show (not expected to place high), and obtain max power without getting rid of my AC. I hear a lot of issues with old school distributor vacuum, so I want to simplify things while increasing performance. I guess less maintenance/potential problems is worth the sacrifice of price. I hope I was able to explain a little better on what I am trying to achieve. I don't want to waste my money, but I am not afraid to spend to achieve what I want. Does this make sense? If power and maintenance are equal, then it seems its a waste going with MSD...

If power and maintenance are equal, then it seems its a waste going with MSD...

agree
vacuum advance will give you more total advance when cruising, which may give better MPG.
regardless of the system you still need set total advance at what your combo likes best for your application.

Auto Transport Service
Back