• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition Wires Suggestions

TL44

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
70 RR, 383, PS , headers, (Firecore Electronic distributor). I'm looking for ignition wires suggestion for this setup. I bought the Edelbrock Max-Fire (Ultra-Spark 50) Universal Flex Boots Spark Plug Wires which are good quality wires but I don't like how long the boots are, a couple are up against the shock tower, a few are up against the steering shaft & box. So anybody else with this setup, I'd love to hear/see what ignition wires you're using.

Thanks in advance!

I used a universal set of black Taylor 8 mm wires on mine and cut the wires to length and made up my own terminations with a set of terminal crimper. I think I used the Taylor plug boots but I can’t remember if I used the Taylor distributor boots or the ones off the old wire set. I’ve also heard Pertronix has a nice black 7mm wire universal kit if trying to maintain something appearing of stock diameter.

I was looking to ask the same thing at some point. Some of my plug boots are literally rubbing the inner fender wells. I like the idea of making my own at some point like AR67GTX suggested.

I’ve had a set of black Taylors on my 65 for 13 years now, never any problems. Might replace them this winter as part of maintenance, good quality, reasonable price, cut to fit.

Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm.

20220817_104140 - Copy.jpg

20220817_104152 - Copy.jpg

I used a universal set of black Taylor 8 mm wires on mine and cut the wires to length and made up my own terminations with a set of terminal crimper. I think I used the Taylor plug boots but I can’t remember if I used the Taylor distributor boots or the ones off the old wire set. I’ve also heard Pertronix has a nice black 7mm wire universal kit if trying to maintain something appearing of stock diameter.
Do you have straight spark plug boots? Some of the plugs are almost impossible to access to put the boot on securely, smh.

70 RR, 383, PS , headers, (Firecore Electronic distributor). I'm looking for ignition wires suggestion for this setup. I bought the Edelbrock Max-Fire (Ultra-Spark 50) Universal Flex Boots Spark Plug Wires which are good quality wires but I don't like how long the boots are, a couple are up against the shock tower, a few are up against the steering shaft & box. So anybody else with this setup, I'd love to hear/see what ignition wires you're using.

Thanks in advance!

I normally use the MSD ignition wires, but on the Charger I kept burning boots on the 2" headers so I bought the pricy Accel 9000 Ceramic boot plug wire.
For the 440, they came with a mix of boot ends, some 45-degree and I think others were angled? I don't have many miles on them, so not sure how they are over time?

I normally use the MSD ignition wires, but on the Charger I kept burning boots on the 2" headers so I bought the pricy Accel 9000 Ceramic boot plug wire.
For the 440, they came with a mix of boot ends, some 45-degree and I think others were angled? I don't have many miles on them, so not sure how they are over time?
Ok, thanks. Did you have to cut/terminate the wires or was it a pre-fit set?

Show us a couple of pictures of your existing wire set up and we can make better suggestions. I run an old set of ACCELs that I have adapted with different boots over the years.

Show us a couple of pictures of your existing wire set up and we can make better suggestions. I run an old set of ACCELs that I have adapted with different boots over the years.
Ok, I'll take some pics later and post em here.
BTW-These are the wires I have, the extra long plug boots causes the problem.
1661882076390.png

Ok, thanks. Did you have to cut/terminate the wires or was it a pre-fit set?

The cap ends are cut to length. All my "modified" cars have cut to length plug wires.

I wouldn’t get the blue Mopar Performance 8mm ones. Some kind of a rodent ate mine. :(
FFFF3656-A0DF-4490-833E-F8328F30EDD9.jpeg

Used to run Whitaker wires on all of my street stuff. Solid core stainless wire and if there was radio static, the coil wire got replaced with a carbon wire and static gone. It was easy to replace the coil wire from time to time instead of all of the plug wires. Whenever I was in a wrecking yard and saw a set that looked fairly new, I snagged them :D Never had a broken one and they always showed 0 ohms....unlike carbon core wires. Looks like they are still sold on the market but have no idea what they are like these days.

This may not be popular, but I'll say it anyway. Unless you are having miss fire issues, HP plug wires will not give any better performance than stock ones except for looks. If the engine is running well, you gain 0 HP by using 8mm and up wires.

Mark

Auto Transport Service
Back