• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm in Miami and having a blast

Michael_

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:27 AM
Reaction score
Just wanted to inform you guys that i'm currently on vacation in Miami. :)
Boy that was a trip from germany (30hrs no sleep)
Will be staying here (South Beach) for approx. 2 Weeks.

Today i already went to Gateway Classic Cars in Fort Lauderdale. (Could not resist to look at some classic cars already. :D)
The staff was very friendly and even let me "test sit" in a C4 corvette with the 90s interior. Now i know that i will fit perfectly in a ZR1. :)

My personal favorites:
But notice i just walked around the cars and did not even look under the hood. :)

By the way,
I have a 2023 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (5.0 V8 with 450hp) as a rental car.
Decent car but i'm a bit disappointed by the acceleration.
Back in 2019 i had a Challenger SRT 392 Rental car with almost 500hp.
The mustang is no slouch but the challenger pulled WAY stronger.
Well i guess its probably the climate (hot, humid) or displacement difference (5.0 vs 6.4L) or both.
Yes i put it in Track mode.
Anyway i just wanted an american convertible so the mustang is fine. When i booked i did not even know what the GT trim is. I expected a turbo 4 banger and was pleasantly surprised when i found out its a 450hp V8. :D
With the horrible traffic and speed limits here in florida i can't make much use of the engine anyway...

Did ya bring a magnet with you for Gateway......
I do not plan to buy a car and if so almost certainly not at a dealership.
But yes i did bring a magnet card just in case. Because i know i will look at the classifieds anyway... :D
(But unless it is a great car at a bargain price i wont be buying anything...)
I did not use it @ gateway because i did not want to buy anything there...

Have fun, but be super careful....there's a crafty contingent there that preys on foreign travelers. They can sniff you out from a mile away and are absolutely merciless.

Oh yeah...and be EXTRA sure that fine-looking Latina is a "she" and not a "he" before you agree to do the Lambada!

:lol:

Today i went to the Everglades. First to the Anhinga Trail but i have not seen any alligators so i went to the "Everglades Alligator Farm" where i have seen lots of alligators.

After that i went to "Shortys BBQ" in 11575 SW 40th St, Miami, FL 33165.
They have GREAT ribs i will probably come back for more.

There is a Publix Store right next to it so i went and picked up some groceries.
Noticed they sell 300g USDA Choice "Filet Mignon" Steaks for 20$. In germany try 3 times that if you can get them at all.
Unfortunately i have no kitchen or grill but i will visit a steakhouse that serves USDA Prime beef. Probably Mortons.

Besides Shortys BBQ the Lobster Rolls i had at "The Lobster Shack" here in South Beach are also really good. But pricey. I had 2 rolls and drinks and paid 90$ incl. 10% tip.

Now after the last couple days full of adventure i will probably take it a bit slower tomorrow...

I have a 2023 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (5.0 V8 with 450hp) as a rental car.
Decent car but i'm a bit disappointed by the acceleration.
Back in 2019 i had a Challenger SRT 392 Rental car with almost 500hp.
The mustang is no slouch but the challenger pulled WAY stronger.
Well i guess its probably the climate (hot, humid) or displacement difference (5.0 vs 6.4L) or both.
Yes i put it in Track mode.

Today i played around during driving and while the mustang is pulling good i still say the challenger pulled WAY stronger.

Mustang: 450hp / 410 lb-ft / 5.0L
Challenger: 485hp / 475 lb-ft / 6.4L

Interesting. Would not have expect such a noticeable difference given the specs.
But again the hot, humid climate and 1.4L Displacement difference probably make all the difference. :moparsmiley:

-----

Question:
Do you tip the valet drivers here in south beach and how much? I gave them 1$ tips so far but thats almost laughably considering what they charge here for valet parking.

For german Standards 93 Octane Gasoline @ 1$/Liter is also really cheap.
Here in germany its almost double that. :)

Edit:

I also drove down the "Old Cutler Road" which has a scenic view. I would absolutely recommend driving down this road day & night. :)

In 1997, I had a girlfriend here in Northern California that was full blooded German. Nice woman. She moved to America with her Air Force Husband that she later divorced.
Her parents came to visit and wanted to see Death Valley, CA, Disneyland, Lake Tahoe and the Salt Flats in Utah. They were amazed at the vast distances between cities and towns in this country.
Good to see that you're having a good time.
WEAR sunscreen....The sun is strong in Florida.

Have fun in Florida

Spent some time in MB when my daughter lived there a couple years. $15 for a margarita in a small plastic cup, hotel rates huge for claustrophobic rooms, tip a guy less than 10 and they think you're a POS. Amazed at the amount of tourists being 20-ish including with kids. It's spend-a-fest there so don't know how some afford it. Certainly couldn't when I was that age. Was an interesting place to visit; but won't miss the fact I'll never be back.

Spent some time in MB when my daughter lived there a couple years. $15 for a margarita in a small plastic cup, hotel rates huge for claustrophobic rooms, tip a guy less than 10 and they think you're a POS. Amazed at the amount of tourists being 20-ish including with kids. It's spend-a-fest there so don't know how some afford it. Certainly couldn't when I was that age. Was an interesting place to visit; but won't miss the fact I'll never be back.

The only reason i choose south beach is because i wanted to be directly at the beach / ocean front and i found south beach to be a more central location than mid or north beach.
But next time i would think about renting an ocean front vacation home if possible.
The only thing i hate here (aside from everything being very expensive) is the HORRENDOUS traffic.

-----

Some more questions:

1. Is "Taco Bell" worth going or is this pretty much a wrap?
9f43434e013d7b537024b81941cc9ecb.jpg

2.Nobody around here seems to care about the speed limits. People seem to be about 20mph or over the limit pretty much all the time.
I'm already going 5-10mph over but still getting passed all the time. Some people almost seem to get mad at me for only going 10mph over...
So what am i going to do? Do i have to fear any consequences going 20mph over the speed limit? Almost looks like i dont.

Drove a moving truck thru MB moving my kid down there; what a hoot that was. Snapped some tree branches trying to park the thing. My kid lived two blocks off Collins, parking during the day anywhere close was nada until parking was reserved for residents around 4PM or so.

Some would rent exotic cars and cruise Collins and Ocean trying to open them up. Have to figure those were governed, but wondered with people everywhere. At night was bumper to bumper along Collins; nuts with people trying to enter/exit hotels and pedestrians. During the day a lane was often blocked for trash pickup and deliveries to restaurants, then the constant busses pissing people off. I’d get up early mornings to go get coffee, walk the beach, and such, was more peaceful for a geezer like me. Spring break was a fiasco, law enforcement had greatly curbed the crazy antics over the couple years my daughter lived there; but still enough to be had.

Traffic around Miami would seem to be either be 90mph or zero. My daughter learned various routes to avoid areas where traffic usually backed up, still it’s a huge city and had similar experiences around many others. Miami/MB is an iconic area and was nice to see the sights as a brief occasional guest. We’d visit our kid 2 or 3 times a year. She hated living there glad to be back in her college city in northern WI. Yep, it’s for some and then not for others.

Yepp the traffic would might be a dealbreaker for me in regards of permanently living in miami.
I did not expect it to be this much, just came back from a 20min traffic jam. And right now is the off season.

But then i'm driving all over the map.
I think if you choose a nice district where you have all your stores, restaurants and such it's probably not too bad.
Unless your job is far from your house that is.

Otherwise i really like it here. Miami, not just south beach that is. :)

Is "Taco Bell" worth going or is this pretty much a wrap?

To answer my own questions since i've just been to taco bell a couple hours ago:
Its fine (3/5) but pretty much mc donalds with mexican dishes. Nothing to write home about. ^^

To answer my own questions since i've just been to taco bell a couple hours ago:
Its fine (3/5) but pretty much mc donalds with mexican dishes. Nothing to write home about. ^^
Their hard taco shells taste like cardboard. That hasn't always been the case. They've been going downhill for over 20 years now, bad food, bad service & higher prices. That's my opinion about most "corporate" fast food places, they sacrifice quality (cheaper ingredients) and employee pay for higher profits.

I live about 90 minutes north of there and don't go that way very often, but I recommend Versailles if you want to try some very good, authentic Cuban food - way better than Toxic Bell. It's not far from where you are and not expensive.

Yes, traffic in Miami is a nightmare - one of the many reasons we don't go there. The farther south I go from here, the worse it gets. Speed limit on I-95 is just a suggestion, but the cops do ticket speeders sometimes so always keep an eye out. They usually ignore you if you stay within 10 mph of the limit, but you will likely be getting passed or tailgated at that speed.

Their hard taco shells taste like cardboard. That hasn't always been the case. They've been going downhill for over 20 years now, bad food, bad service & higher prices. That's my opinion about most "corporate" fast food places, they sacrifice quality (cheaper ingredients) and employee pay for higher profits.
Taco Bell was doomed the moment they were acquired by Pepsi ("Yum Foods"), along with KFC, PIzza Hut, etc.
You're right though - there was a time long ago when Taco Bell was actually pretty good.

Hey y'all, @Michael_ is in the country! Somebody nab him, quick! :)
Seriously, I hope you have an adventure and enjoy it, sir - safely.
Get out in the country a little bit and sample rural FL - it's a whole other world. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back