• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'm proud I sent Christmas gifts to service men

SteveSS

Local time
5:01 AM
Reaction score
My neighbor kid joined the Navy 2 years ago. He's stationed in Diego Garcia in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. I put together a gift box for him and his buddies. Lots of car magazines, toys and candy. I sent it yesterday so It will probably get there the week after Christmas but I still thought it was the right thing to do. I was going to put in a Maxim calendar but his mom said that might get him in trouble. The coolest toy was the Whamo HoverBall.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...:s,v:v,m:sa&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&tt=b

That was a very nice thing to do Steve. I know that when I was last in Iraq(2010) we got many boxes from families and the organizations that do that. We loved every one of them. We shared them around and shared with other units too. Good on you!!

The calendar would not have been an issue, going to Diego Garcia. Afghanistan, or any of the other "r-o-p" nations...those countries have no sense of humor. Or a sense of anything else remotely civilized.

As a recipient of those kind of boxes during the '90s while doing my numerous tours in the giant kitty litterbox known as Saudi, I can tell you those boxes of goodies are always appreciated. It's very kind of you to think of your neighbor sailor like that!

Yep, I liked it when a total stranger sent some "goodies" to us in the "giant kitty litter box" as patrick66 put it.

That was very kind thing to do!!!

God bless you Steve!!! very kind thing to do man!!!

stuff for our fighting Men & Gals

great deal,
it's good to support those that stand on that wall,
between us & harms way, to protect us all

I use to send a gift package to my son, we never know where he's going to be thou,
he always shares with his ship mates or select group, mags, catalogs, goodies, even cell phones & paid minutes
a few of my family & a few neighbors get together send off care packages, various things,
for them to share a couple times a year, I just donate, I don't actually ship the stuff...
I'm not sure where to even send it...

I arranged it with the girls & gave them 20 sets of golf clubs & a garbage can full of range-golf balls
{they wouldn't actually ship the garbage can of golf balls} they bagged them up, a few years ago,
stuff that was outdated a little, out of my old Pro-shop...
After my boy said they had a great place to hit balls, I figured they could share & have some fun...
He said they set up a little chip & put course, use a small practice pad/piece of carpet,
carry it to where they hit the ball, try & make it into a small circle drawn in the sand,
that's the green, with a bucket to aim at....

Last stuff I/they sent came back, they couldn't ship to that deployment/location,
that's actually happened a few times now...

Anything like that is great for the people over there,
many of them are just young people, men & women, that get bored very easily...

Used to be, you could send a box addressed to "Any Soldier (or Airman or Marine)", but unfortunately, those days are gone. You need a name and a unit, plus the APO/FPO address.

A local group just mailed out several hundred boxes to units in Afghanistan and other places. The postage on the boxes came out to over $41,500! I have no problems helping these folks out. Their boxes not only go to war zones, they also go to troops stationed at US Embassies and Counsulates, and ships everywhere. A great cause!

Steve,
Cool!
I have spent many a day-night in Diego-Garcia (Fly in and rest for a day/night or as we called it R.O.N "remain over night")
It is a "pit"
Not a nice place to visit! LOL
That was very kind of you to do.
So, I'm sure he will appreciate it.
PS: send him the calendar! That is okay to send..
"super-bee_ski"

Steve,

I have spent many a day-night in Diego-Garcia (Fly in and rest for a day/night or as we called it R.O.N "remain over night")
It is a "pit"
Not a nice place to visit! LOL
I wouldn't say it's a pit, but a 2 year tour there and I'd definitely would need a liver transplant and carried out in a straight jacket. Last time I was there about 5 years ago, it was so quite and dead you could 'a heard a pin drop. 12 KC-10's on the ramp parked next to each other and nothing else sure made a pretty sight. I will miss having top-si-log for breakfast at the club though
Good for you Steve, I know he'll appreciate it.

I wouldn't say it's a pit, but a 2 year tour there and I'd definitely would need a liver transplant and carried out in a straight jacket. Last time I was there about 5 years ago, it was so quite and dead you could 'a heard a pin drop. 12 KC-10's on the ramp parked next to each other and nothing else sure made a pretty sight. I will miss having top-si-log for breakfast at the club though
Good for you Steve, I know he'll appreciate it.

Yup,
We'd go to the "Merchant Marine bar" and drink...
69A100, you have to put in OUR" perspective..
We were flying from Cape Town So Africa on our way to Singapore.
we would typically deploy from places like:
Buenos Aires
Tahitti
Fiji
Singapore
Perth
Melbourne
Easter Isl
Ascension isl
Barbados

So yes, to us the "Foot Print of Freedom" was unsightly

We used to hit them right off of the flight deck when deployed! Obviously we weren't getting them back, but it was great to just get out there and act like you were at the driving range.

great deal,
it's good to support those that stand on that wall,
between us & harms way, to protect us all

I use to send a gift package to my son, we never know where he's going to be thou,
he always shares with his ship mates or select group, mags, catalogs, goodies, even cell phones & paid minutes
a few of my family & a few neighbors get together send off care packages, various things,
for them to share a couple times a year, I just donate, I don't actually ship the stuff...
I'm not sure where to even send it...

I arranged it with the girls & gave them 20 sets of golf clubs & a garbage can full of range-golf balls
{they wouldn't actually ship the garbage can of golf balls} they bagged them up, a few years ago,
stuff that was outdated a little, out of my old Pro-shop...
After my boy said they had a great place to hit balls, I figured they could share & have some fun...
He said they set up a little chip & put course, use a small practice pad/piece of carpet,
carry it to where they hit the ball, try & make it into a small circle drawn in the sand,
that's the green, with a bucket to aim at....

Last stuff I/they sent came back, they couldn't ship to that deployment/location,
that's actually happened a few times now...

Anything like that is great for the people over there,
many of them are just young people, men & women, that get bored very easily...

Auto Transport Service
Back