• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Man on the Moon! July 20, 1969

Last night on CSPAN they had the full live broadcast with Walter Cronkite as Apollo 11 was getting ready to launch.

Was really cool to see the live broadcast 50 years ago with the commercials + sponsors (Westinghouse, Bell System & Kellogg's). My mom was 5 months pregnant with me. My parents are both gone but it made me feel good knowing I was watching the same thing they probably watched as well as my grandparents. It connected me to them, what they probably discussed, their future, Vietnam (My Mom's brother had died in 67 in an accident in the Philippines while on R&R from Nam, leaving behind a wife & 4 little kids. He was a Major in the Army Medical Corp.). Dad had served his time (65-68) in the Army as a 1st LT in the Artillery (Ft. McClellan, Anniston AL), and was on inactive duty (never called back). My Mom's grandparents lived in Anniston.

Was interesting to see Spiro Agnew & Lyndon Johnson commenting on what was going on in the world at that time & where the space program was heading. Who knew that we only got as far as the moon but the international space station was being discussed as a mutual US & Russian project.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?462711-1/cbs-coverage-apollo-11-launch

It's a real trip back in time as I remember so vividly looking out at the moon from my folks kitchen window on that hot July night hearing Walter in the background on our TV. Old Walter's iconic voice has burned memories in my head forever first recalling his coverage of the JFK assassination. All youngster memories; but Walter seemed a total class act, a guy devoid of smut reading about his history during WWII. Melancholy recollections thinking my folks, aunts, uncles, were young yet and now all are departed after living to advanced age for the most part. Da 60's was a unique period never to be repeated...the cars, music...

happy 50th anniversary Apollo 11 moon landing/moon walk

Saw it at a bar with friends .. we were all pretty ripped. For some reason, not a big deal. Don't know if it was being 19, the alcohol or what ever else we were into, but we didn't give it much attention.We should have. Amazing accomplishment,during a really screwed up time.. :)

I was one year and six months old.

My mom stood me up in front of the TV to watch.

Thanks, mom!

I was in Germany and it was on every TV that I saw.
it was a big thing over there..

oh
there is always one.. :jackoff:
Walking on the moon? 'I don't believe it's true,' NASCAR's Ryan Newman says

Bob Pockrass
4 hrs ago

AAEhNfs.jpg

ICE protesters who defaced U.S. flag could face criminal charges

AAECkY4.jpg

Standoff on Hawaii mountain is about more than a telescope

LOUDON, New Hampshire - It is well known in the NASCAR garage that veteran driver Ryan Newman isn’t a big believer when it comes to the moon landing.

AAECeTU.jpg
© Provided by USA Today Sports Media Group LLC
So what does he think this weekend as many celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing?

“I haven’t paid attention,” Newman said Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. “Is it really the 50th anniversary? Or is it the 49th?”

According to a C-SPAN/Ipsos poll released earlier this month, 6 percent of Americans believe the moon landing was staged, including 11 percent of millennials. So in the 37-driver starting lineup Sunday, statistics indicate there likely is a denier in the field.

“I’m not a denier, I just don’t know, I don’t believe it’s true,” Newman said. “I don’t have proof to believe it’s true. I can’t go off a picture or a video or whatever stage they were on. They were just trying to beat the Russians to a good photo opp.”

NASCAR: Says 'eye test' and stats prove 2019 package is working

YOUNG STAR: 17-year-old NASCAR driver discusses her rise

Many other NASCAR drivers spoken to this weekend believe it, some reiterating what they told For The Win in February when several drivers were polled.

“I saw some really good stuff and it looks great and makes a lot of sense,” Brad Keselowski said after winning the pole for the race. “It’s cool but I’m not going to put my head on the line. I know from the little bit of experience I have with the government, I would be completely shocked if they were able to pull that off as a hoax."

Austin Dillon doesn’t have any doubts.

“I’m a believer we landed on the moon,” he said. “I feel like conspiracy theorists are those people that constantly cry wolf and the first time they hear something that wasn’t true, they’re like, ‘I told you so.’

“I’m not a big fan of ‘I told you so.’ If you throw a thousand darts, you might hit one every now and then in the bull’s-eye.”

Even with so much attention on the Apollo 11 mission this week, Ryan Blaney didn’t change his mind. He has had other things (such as racing) to worry about. And his mind, when thinking about space, thought about something else.

“I think I said the last time I [was asked], I think we landed on the moon but not when they say we did,” Blaney said. “I haven’t really looked too much into it. There is not much up there but rocks, which is pretty cool. I think the Area 51 thing is interesting.”

OPINION:Over the moon about Neil Armstrong, Mets in 1969

1969: Celtics ruled and Mets shocked sports world

Blaney was referencing the possible storming of the Area 51 portion of Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada to see if there is evidence of alien life.

“I don’t think there is anything there,” Blaney said. “It would be hilarious if they’re like, ‘Yeah, come in.’ And there’s nothing there and it’s like, ‘Yeah, we do training here.’ ”

Ryan Preece, a rookie on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series circuit, was caught a little off-guard by the question amid a weekend during which he is competing in two styles of race cars.

“What does Ryan Newman say?” he said. “He doesn’t believe it. … I want to be opposite of him. I want to say it happened.”

Newman’s response to Preece choosing to be opposite of him?

“That’s good,” Newman said. “It gives him a chance to be wrong.”

I was 15. Don’t have a clear moment memory. Was all about cars, girls, beer, tunes, cigarettes. The other shoe yet to drop was Nam. That one never happened. Didn’t know it at the time. No complaints.

oh

Bob Pockrass
4 hrs ago

http://a.msn.com/02/en-us/AAECoxP?ocid=sf

View attachment 803976

View attachment 803977

LOUDON, New Hampshire - It is well known in the NASCAR garage that veteran driver Ryan Newman isn’t a big believer when it comes to the moon landing.

View attachment 803978© Provided by USA Today Sports Media Group LLC
So what does he think this weekend as many celebrate the 50th anniversary of the moon landing?

“I haven’t paid attention,” Newman said Friday at New Hampshire Motor Speedway. “Is it really the 50th anniversary? Or is it the 49th?”

According to a C-SPAN/Ipsos poll released earlier this month, 6 percent of Americans believe the moon landing was staged, including 11 percent of millennials. So in the 37-driver starting lineup Sunday, statistics indicate there likely is a denier in the field.

“I’m not a denier, I just don’t know, I don’t believe it’s true,” Newman said. “I don’t have proof to believe it’s true. I can’t go off a picture or a video or whatever stage they were on. They were just trying to beat the Russians to a good photo opp.”

Many other NASCAR drivers spoken to this weekend believe it, some reiterating what they told For The Win in February when several drivers were polled.

“I saw some really good stuff and it looks great and makes a lot of sense,” Brad Keselowski said after winning the pole for the race. “It’s cool but I’m not going to put my head on the line. I know from the little bit of experience I have with the government, I would be completely shocked if they were able to pull that off as a hoax."

“I’m a believer we landed on the moon,” he said. “I feel like conspiracy theorists are those people that constantly cry wolf and the first time they hear something that wasn’t true, they’re like, ‘I told you so.’

“I’m not a big fan of ‘I told you so.’ If you throw a thousand darts, you might hit one every now and then in the bull’s-eye.”

Even with so much attention on the Apollo 11 mission this week, Ryan Blaney didn’t change his mind. He has had other things (such as racing) to worry about. And his mind, when thinking about space, thought about something else.

“I think I said the last time I [was asked], I think we landed on the moon but not when they say we did,” Blaney said. “I haven’t really looked too much into it. There is not much up there but rocks, which is pretty cool. I think the Area 51 thing is interesting.”

Blaney was referencing the possible storming of the Area 51 portion of Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada to see if there is evidence of alien life.

“I don’t think there is anything there,” Blaney said. “It would be hilarious if they’re like, ‘Yeah, come in.’ And there’s nothing there and it’s like, ‘Yeah, we do training here.’ ”

Ryan Preece, a rookie on the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series circuit, was caught a little off-guard by the question amid a weekend during which he is competing in two styles of race cars.

“What does Ryan Newman say?” he said. “He doesn’t believe it. … I want to be opposite of him. I want to say it happened.”

25702.png

5d2f50f7d9eb9.image.jpg

FILE - In this July 20, 1969 file photo, Andy Aldrin, 10, sits on a pile of cordwood in the backyard of his home in Houston while other members of his family listen to the reports of the progress of the Apollo II lunar module carrying his father, Col. Buzz Aldrin and fellow astronaut Neil Armstrong to a landing on the moon. (AP Photo)

Anonymous

5d2f50fbed0c1.image.jpg

This July 21, 1969 photo made available by NASA shows Tranquility Base and the U.S. flag from a window on the Lunar Module as Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin prepare for liftoff from the surface of the moon. (NASA via AP)

HOGP

5d2f50fa7ed40.image.jpg

In this July 21, 1969 photo made available by NASA, the Apollo 11 Lunar Module ascent stage, carrying astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, approaches the Command and Service Modules for docking in lunar orbit. Astronaut Michael Collins remained with the CSM in lunar orbit while the other two crewmen explored the moon's surface. In the background the Earth rises above the lunar horizon. (Michael Collins/NASA via AP)

Michael Collins

I was one year and six months old.

My mom stood me up in front of the TV to watch.

Thanks, mom!
So you remember it well then? lol

oh

Bob Pockrass
4 hrs ago

http://a.msn.com/02/en-us/AAECoxP?ocid=sf

View attachment 803976

View attachment 803977

View attachment 803978© Provided by USA Today Sports Media Group LLC

One thing that doesn't seem to get mentioned? Too many good men died during the pursuit of the eventual moon landing for it to all be bogus..After losing so many friends how can anyone think Armstrong/Aldrin/Collins could continue to act out such a 'hoax'....the subsequent voyages? The shuttle program? A freeking space station? Satellites and telescopes watching our every move and peering to the edge of the solar sytem wouldn't have been possible without that first achievement...unless they're all 'fake' too?

20190721_082749.jpg

Neil was a down to earth guy, doing an incredible job off the Earth.
neil_armstrong2-460x697.jpg

He said he allowed himself one cigar a month, but sometimes forgot to have it.

Auto Transport Service
Back