• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In gear idle dropped

And this....

img267.jpg

If you do decide to get the AVS2 you don't need the 800cfm.
Your 440 with a small cam and converter will run fantastic with the 650cfm AVS2.
I agree with DanielSlocum to check the metering rods and springs.
Geoff2 is also correct on the initial timing - but leave it where it is and connect the vacuum advance over to manifold vacuum for trial purposes.
Make sure the vacuum unit diaphragm on the distributor is on the lightest setting as your engine vacuum reading is low.

Mate this has been going on for months and lots of suggestions have been made - you need to write them all down and tick them off one by one.
Have you got another carb you can swap in temporarily to see if that's the issue?
You said your fuel filter was very dirty before this issue occurred. Maybe some dirt got through it somehow and is in the carb? Have you done as suggested in Post 5 way back in August and blown out the idle circuit?
I am working on getting another carb to try from a friend. I have tried most of the suggestions and nothing has solved the problem. Its extremely frustrating and my car budget is non existant right now.

This could be so many things.....
Could be a wiped lobe. Unlikely to be the carb unless it has water in it [ using E fuel? ].
Initial timing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too low for optimum idle quality, vacuum & tip in response. See below.
Since the problem started when you changed the ECU & coil, try replacing them. I hear that the orange ECUs are problematic.

View attachment 1577335
Put the original coil and new ECU in but the problem still remains.

If you do decide to get the AVS2 you don't need the 800cfm.
Your 440 with a small cam and converter will run fantastic with the 650cfm AVS2.
I agree with DanielSlocum to check the metering rods and springs.
Geoff2 is also correct on the initial timing - but leave it where it is and connect the vacuum advance over to manifold vacuum for trial purposes.
Make sure the vacuum unit diaphragm on the distributor is on the lightest setting as your engine vacuum reading is low.
Metering rods move as they should, I have had the same timing for over 15 years never had an issue, so I am really not willing to change that since this problem happened out of the blue and the timing was checked and remained the same.

My plans right now is to put my Firecore Distributor back in, it was set and built to my timing and specification and has been working great for two years now. with 24 degrees advance in to so my base is set to 12 for 36 all in, I can bump up to 14 with 38 all in but I need to get it to run when put in gear first. I am also planning on a new carb to see if this is the fix ( perhaps this EDDY dropped its Idle circuit). I was also told that the 650 is too small for my set up, the only option is the 800 and down tune it to work better. It will take me a few weeks to get the parts and try, if it still does not solve this issue,,,,,,,well it goes on jack stands and gets packed away. Anyone have an affordable 440 for sale???

Auto Transport Service
Back