• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Increasing Prices …

The company I work for has trucking from Canada three days a week. I talked to a driver last week and he said Canadian to US trucking is only back to maybe 25%.
Most of the building wood in the states comes from CanFor a big Canadian wood producer.
Yes, a cheap 2x4 used to cost slightly over $1, now is $5.97. The manager a our Lowes store said "supply and demand" is driving everything.
Also, nobody wants to work, but Federal and Tennessee subsidies are cut off July 1. Let's see what this does for the work force!
PT in Tennessee

WE have seen ZERO price drop here, Only increases just like EVERYTHING else. My son is a Carpenter and some stuff they can't even get... Windows are out 6-8 months. Venezuela here we come!!

Most of the building wood in the states comes from CanFor a big Canadian wood producer.
Yes, a cheap 2x4 used to cost slightly over $1, now is $5.97. The manager a our Lowes store said "supply and demand" is driving everything.

This pure horseshit !!! I regularly drive past THREE lumber depots - the places where all the lumber is stored before it hits the retailers. They're all FULL. There is no ******* shortage. And the excuse of it being "Canadian lumber" is bullshit too ... a 2x4 in HD up here is $9.89 - and we don't have transportation issues !!!

I’ve heard that too Stanton, down in Illinois there is lumber stacked up waiting to go. It’s a created BS game with government hand outs... I’m totally for a hand up not a hand out! If your disabled different ball game.. Hard times happen I’ll help you but you must help yourself too! It has to stop!

I drive a truck and switched to flatbed 3 months ago because the rates are so high. There isn't a shortage of building materials, there's a shortage of truck drivers. OOIDA or the owner operators association, says the industry is down over 30 percent. People don't want to work.
As for Canadian lumber, CanFor ships the majority of their lumber by rail. I have loaded it many times in Palmer Massachusetts and they take it right off the train.

Yep I live near a mill-town too

stupid crazy prices for lumber

the big box stores are **** lumber at that

I was going to do some redwood deck repairs
weather sun & snow are brutal on the handrails & select areas of the deck
do a couple of ramps & almost all the handrailing, a few deck boards too...

It's mostly all 2x6, a few 2x4 like 40 boards
mostly I want all 20ft-ers preferably, 16ft if I can't get the 20's
I want true 'select', or #1 common
(or even #2)
Redwood con-hearth or clear, even with just very few knots
or very little 'softwood' the white woods/layers in redwood
(that whit-ish redwood/wood even just doesn't last, looks like **** too)

or the stuff is wet as hell & shrinks like a M-fer after installed
I want no part of

It's almost nonexistent now, to get actual quality,
select or even #1 grade redwood
the stuff they do have is all 1/2 whitish in color
very little deep solid red anymore...
(it almost looks like cedar instead of redwood)

I know we don't have old timber/forest harvesting now
most the **** is grown to harvest, like tree farms, lil' spindly trees
not old growth

(it was over $3000 for just lumber, not that much redwood either)
I built the whole damn deck for less, about 15 years...
The stuff you get from lumber yards & more so especially big box
Home Improvement stores
it's all **** now, warped knotted up garbage,
not even rated correctly & way overpriced to boot...

Very few logging trucks going up & down the mountain even
like they used to also, hundreds of them daily...
Since the mill had reopened 10 or so years back...
Almost none (zero) today, has been like that for about 11-12 months now
started before the new state & feds "no permits" in Jan.,
lots less logging trucks/drivers
Especially independent driver shortages (Wuhan Flu crap, allegedly)
& fuel costs don't help either...
(govt. regs. lack of permits to log national forest now since Jan 20th 2021,
all probably contributed)

I don't know where the lumber is coming from into the mill now either,
it used to be a huge thriving independent industry here...
It's not coming from here anymore & we have an abundance...

We had a huge Bark Beatle 'tree kill' & they took/fell a crapload of trees
100,000,000+ just up in this county...
(they blame on draught :jackoff: )
Unfortunately, most of it is 'just sitting on the forest floor rotting'
waiting for the next forest fire to come thru & be a huge problem
with fueling the fires
It's all **** & expensive **** now

We need the logging to keep the forest healthy
& to keep the forest floor clean
if for nothing else fire prevention

such a waste of natural resources wasted
billions of dollars, 100s of billions of board feet, good usable lumber
just rotting away on the ground/forest floor
state & more so, the federal govt. red tape nonsense

our power & gas company was a huge issue/part
it/them falling or contracting out the downing of all the trees
& just leaving them there to rot

Last edited:
Sometimes the people that are looking out for you don't have your best interest at heart.

U.S. moves to double tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber imports
The Canadian Press May 25, 2021

upload_2021-6-29_20-10-55.jpeg

Sometimes the people that are looking out for you don't have your best interest at heart.

U.S. moves to double tariffs on Canadian softwood lumber imports

And you still pay less for lumber than we do !!!

Here's the thing with tariffs: the Canadian seller pays the tariff, the US buyer's price is increased to cover the tariff. The idea being that the Canadian lumber will be equal to or greater than the price of U.S. lumber. But when you go to a limber retailer are there two stacks of 2x4's - a cheap U.S. stack and a more expensive Canadian stack ?? NOPE !! The U.S. lumber prices are raised to match the Canadian lumber price - defeating the whole purpose of the tariff. And THAT is why the Canadians fight the tariff.

They probably all have a politician or two in their pocket !!

Its extortion, passed onto the consumer and as pure profit. Where these *** holes get into trouble is in the area of collusion. I believe this definitely happened

Look at the steel industry! Record high prices I mean really off the wall prices! We have two blast furnaces and only running one since covid hit... huge demand and only running one and then telling everyone we are running wide open? Idk but something is fishy.. I suspect fake high or self inflated prices. If they lift the steel tariffs I’m gonna take in the tail and the market will crash with the other crazy prices like on homes etc.

Well, that one blast furnace is running full blast.
I assume you are referring to Granite City Steel?

Yes it is but we could do more..We were also bringing in slabs from our other mills.

And that mill was completely closed until...
My son used to work at Severstal/Steel Dynamics. They processed ingots that had been produced at GCS and were stockpiled.

Auto Transport Service
Back