• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Indy Cross Ram Intake

splicer

Local time
5:52 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice/input from any of you who may have run An Indy 440-25 Cross ram intake. I have a chance to swap into one that's in fine shape and comes with linkage, an anti-puddling device, but no carbs(I have carbs already)

I'm currently running a Super Victor intake and 1050CFM dominator so the crossram is not too big by any means.

Just have no experience with them.
Thanks for your help....

John B.

I run one. Are they as good as the best single dominator and Indy intake, no. If the car is heavy 3200 and up they ET very close. Mine has 750 Eddy crabs w/o the fillers. Car is very good. 9.20s anywhere. The only bad part is hard to start cold, throw a fender cover over the carbs. Don't pump to many times or Boom.
Doug

Attachments

• racecar 474.jpg
    racecar 474.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,490
  • E19.jpg
    E19.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1,060
  • P1010488 (640x480).jpg
    P1010488 (640x480).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,146
I run one. Are they as good as the best single dominator and Indy intake, no. If the car is heavy 3200 and up they ET very close. Mine has 750 Eddy crabs w/o the fillers. Car is very good. 9.20s anywhere. The only bad part is hard to start cold, throw a fender cover over the carbs. Don't pump to many times or Boom.
Doug

I have to disagree with Doug on this one. We did back to back to back dyno pulls with the Indy crossram vs. the 440-2 intake 440-3 intake and 4403X intake and we made 25 hp more with the Indy crossram.
I run Edelbrock 800's a Carter 750's on mine. Big CI don't need the plenum stuffers.
My 500 CI indy motor with the indy crossram does have the stuffers and I picked up .15 in ET.

My 588 goes [email protected] mph in a 3387lb. coronet.

Attachments

• 10732625_10204905551909146_1767520527_o.jpg
    10732625_10204905551909146_1767520527_o.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 615
  • blue dodge w. Vignogna decal.jpg
    blue dodge w. Vignogna decal.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 631
  • light blue dodge hemi 1st pass burnout 11.9.14.jpg
    light blue dodge hemi 1st pass burnout 11.9.14.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 582
Some people say the single is quicker, some say slower. I know Andy F dynoed his and he said the single was worth more but i believe his motor was 512". There is a lot of plenum in the crossram. The larger motors suffer from small ports. The larger plenum crutches the small port. I think the larger the motor is the better the cross ram gets. Chris and I run 572 and larger. Both run pretty good. My 572 has been [email protected] @3345lbs. It's funny when people see the edelbrock carbs and their jaw drops.
Doug

doug did you add the pop off valves to your intake after the boom!?

doug did you add the pop off valves to your intake after the boom!?

Yes. I haven't had an issue after I learned how to get it started though. Pump 3 times, then let it SIT AT LEAST 30 seconds before cranking. One more pump partial throttle and make sure the ignition IS ON FIRST. It will start right up unless it's cold. Then I throw a fender cover over the carbs in addition to the above steps.
Doug

Yes. I haven't had an issue after I learned how to get it started though. Pump 3 times, then let it SIT AT LEAST 30 seconds before cranking. One more pump partial throttle and make sure the ignition IS ON FIRST. It will start right up unless it's cold. Then I throw a fender cover over the carbs in addition to the above steps.
Doug

I Never ever had a boom in my intake, with no pop off valves installed. Even cold, mine starts right up.

I Never ever had a boom in my intake, with no pop off valves installed. Even cold, mine starts right up.
You know the funny thing is it had back fired when starting many times, pretty good bangs too. When it popped the top it was a very dull quiet poof. I run mine way leaner than Chris, could be why it starts poor. Plugs look perfect.
Doug

You know the funny thing is it had back fired when starting many times, pretty good bangs too. When it popped the top it was a very dull quiet poof. I run mine way leaner than Chris, could be why it starts poor. Plugs look perfect.
Doug

How lean is lean?
I might have you covered on this one.

Doug,

Keep in mind that the air Chris runs in and the air we run in are completely different, 2500 to 3000 feet is awful air for Chris, 2500-3000 feet is decent air for us, so that's probably why he runs more jet than you would.

How lean is lean?
I might have you covered on this one.

113 square, went up to 116 and saw no improvement even in good air at the end of the season. ran back to back. Not .02 difference , same mph.
Doug

113 square, went up to 116 and saw no improvement even in good air at the end of the season. ran back to back. Not .02 difference , same mph.
Doug

I went down to .113 on my secondaries and .116 primaries on my hemi and went the fastest 9.24@146.
Then it let go at the stripe.
I ran .116 square in my 588 wedge and was lean. When I run .119 I got my best mph 151.30

I gave the crossram long and careful consideration and I thank all of you for your input but, ultimately, decided not to go with it...

We don't have enough participants to make up an NSS class at the tracks up here, and if I'm not gunna run NSS, I don't need the expense or complexity.
My car is still street legal/driveable with it's current setup but the crossram probably wouldn't be too street friendly.

Thanks again for your info..

Splicer

Auto Transport Service
Back