• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

info needed

dantheman

Local time
9:34 PM
Reaction score
I closed off the left qtr gas fill on my 67 coronet and we are attempting to do the Dodge Charger/Challenger flip top on the top of the qtr. The filler tube I purchased used from a Charger is not working due to it's angle. We are still using the original entry position for the filler from the original set-up and using a new 67 Coronet gas tank. It probably would have been easier to cut a hole in the trunk where the Charger entry point for the gas tank is and use a Charger Gas tanke, but I didn't want extra holes and already had a new tank. I'm sure I am not the first Mopar Nut to try this swap, altho' the smart money would have been replicating the Charger set-up. The shop where the car is, was looking for suggestions. How about getting flex pipe to mock up the bends we need and then taking that to a muffler shop to have it bent correctly? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Dan

I understand....but cannot visualize your exact situation. Flex pipe isn't a bad idea...what about some cardboard tubing? Obviously, the best way would be to have the muffler guy & the car in the same place at the same time.

I was working the same type of issue on an old bronco. I used a coat hanger to get the length and bends right from the filler to the tank. Than took that to a muffler shop and the made me the tube I needed. It worked for me.

Remember that the filler tube is not steel. It is a plated alloy for fuel. The Challenger and Charger caps are totally different. Theasiest way is to stay as close to factory as possible. Getting the tank, filler neck tube, cap and external gas filler sheetmetal from a Charger. Much easier to just splice some sheetmetal than to re-engineer everything.

Remember that the filler tube is not steel. It is a plated alloy for fuel. The Challenger and Charger caps are totally different. Theasiest way is to stay as close to factory as possible. Getting the tank, filler neck tube, cap and external gas filler sheetmetal from a Charger. Much easier to just splice some sheetmetal than to re-engineer everything.
would have been the way to go, didnt think about it till after purchasing/opening the gas tank package

I was working the same type of issue on an old bronco. I used a coat hanger to get the length and bends right from the filler to the tank. Than took that to a muffler shop and the made me the tube I needed. It worked for me.
outstanding advice, thanks-Dan

I understand....but cannot visualize your exact situation. Flex pipe isn't a bad idea...what about some cardboard tubing? Obviously, the best way would be to have the muffler guy & the car in the same place at the same time.
that would be optimal. dont think I can make that work tho'..Thanks-Dan

This is a good idea.....and maybe have them leave an extra 1/2" on each end so you can exact/custom fit the tube by grinding it down bit-by-bit with a Dremel cutoff wheel or something???

A good muffler shop should also be able to expand either end of the tube if the tank inlet and filler cap are different sizes. That is what I had to do. You can connect either end with rubber tubing or weld on the correct Charger filler end to accept the cap you want. Post pics of the final results!

A good muffler shop should also be able to expand either end of the tube if the tank inlet and filler cap are different sizes. That is what I had to do. You can connect either end with rubber tubing or weld on the correct Charger filler end to accept the cap you want. Post pics of the final results!
Thanks for the advice. I will certainly post pics. This (shocking revelation!!) build is not incurring cost overruns. The shop recommended new wiring. They said the 51 year old wiring is getting brittle. The kit is around 500$ plus time. Kinda scares me, I am 59 years old, does that mean my wiring is brittle?-OUCH!!

What about some stainless steel exhaust tube with a mix of bends your shop could fabricate the tube.

Thanks for the advice. I will certainly post pics. This (shocking revelation!!) build is not incurring cost overruns. The shop recommended new wiring. They said the 51 year old wiring is getting brittle. The kit is around 500$ plus time. Kinda scares me, I am 59 years old, does that mean my wiring is brittle?-OUCH!!
I had the same issue with my ‘46 Dodge truck, restomod 340 w/ 727 auto. Used a Ron Francis wiring kit. My first re-wire, super easy. Comes with all you need, straight forward instructions, and all the wires are labeled. If you are not looking for an OEM/R harness, it may be a good option. The kit will set you back about $465. The tech line is also extremely helpful.

Auto Transport Service
Back