• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

initial timing 440 engine

paul1969cars

Local time
12:12 AM
Reaction score
Morning

Im current about to reinstall my distributer which was restored by Joes Restoration.
I have the number 1 cylinder at top of stroke and motor is set at top dead center.
The slot for the intermediate shaft is aligned to the front of the block

Which way does the distributor face? Other wise I will be out 180

I have attached two options in photos. See attached and look at orientation of rotor

Option "a" had the copper end of the rotor facing he number 1 cylinder and Option "b has the mushroom end facing the number 1 cylinder

I belive its option b

But I may be wrong

IMG_4415.jpg
IMG_4414.jpg

Paul,

1. You need to check that cylinder #1 is at the top of the compression stroke (not exhuast) as either will have the piston all the way at the top and the balancer at 0 degrees.

2. The vacuum advance needs to be rotated about 180 degrees to allow for rotating the distributor. Sorry this was wrong.

3. The factory rotor position would be close to your picture B that you've shown.

Finally don't forget that the rotor turns counter clockwise. So turning the distributor clockwise advances the spark.

I think you can just rotate the distributor in your picture B so the vacuum advance can is in a good spot and check again for the compression stroke.
(just watch the exhaust valve as the crank approaches the 0 mark if its open then its an exhaust stroke)

Looks good.

Last edited:
Paul,

1. You need to check that cylinder #1 is at the top of the compression stroke (not exhuast) as either will have the piston all the way at the top and the balancer at 0 degrees.

2. The vacuum advance needs to be rotated about 180 degrees to allow for rotating the distributor.

3. The factory rotor position would be close to your picture B that you've shown.

Finally don't forget that the rotor turns counter clockwise. So turning the distributor clockwise advances the spark.

I think you can just rotate the distributor in your picture B so the vacuum advance can is in a good spot and check again for the compression stroke.
(just watch the exhaust valve as the crank approaches the 0 mark if its open then its an exhaust stroke)

Looks good.
thanks

Paul,

2. The vacuum advance needs to be rotated about 180 degrees to allow for rotating the distributor.

Looks good.

I thought that the vacuum advance was supposed to point at #1 ?

I just got my distributor, haven't installed yet as I am preparing for my trip to Boise. So, should vacuum advance run parallel to front of block or towards the radiator ?

I thought that the vacuum advance was supposed to point at #1 ?

I just got my distributor, haven't installed yet as I am preparing for my trip to Boise. So, should vacuum advance run parallel to front of block or towards the radiator ?
Yes you are correct the vacuum advance would be pretty close to the way he has it installed.
Sorry.

1675364244271.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back