• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inline fuel pump recommendations.

68Satellite440

Local time
8:51 PM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Needing some help with pump selection.
Holley Blue pump?
Deatschwerks?
Walbro?

Also what Pressure Regulars? Deadhead or flow return?

Motor is stock 440 hi-performance with headers, 600cfm edelbrock performer.
Already have a electric pump circuit installed by previous owner but its only 4psi and cannot even begin to keep up. Guy only liked to cruise around, thus the reason for the 600cfm carb. Not my idea and will be replaced eventually.
Thanks! -Pat

Hey guys,
Needing some help with pump selection.
Holley Blue pump?
Deatschwerks?
Walbro?

Also what Pressure Regulars? Deadhead or flow return?

Motor is stock 440 hi-performance with headers, 600cfm edelbrock performer.
Already have a electric pump circuit installed by previous owner but its only 4psi and cannot even begin to keep up. Guy only liked to cruise around, thus the reason for the 600cfm carb. Not my idea and will be replaced eventually.
Thanks! -Pat
Edelbrock performer doesn't need and isn't designed for more than 4 or 5 psi. That engine will run fine with a stock mechanical pump.

If you're set on an inline pump, I prefer Walbro. Been running one on my turbo blowthru jet boat for 8 yrs. Extreme heat and vibration. Not one issue and they are very quiet. I always prefer a regulator "after" the carb. Reduces pulsing/hammering and helps keep fuel and carb cooler. Just my preference.

Edelbrock performer doesn't need and isn't designed for more than 4 or 5 psi. That engine will run fine with a stock mechanical pump.
Well I’m aiming for 5-6 psi. The current 4 psi cant keep up at all. I take off and by 45mph carb is outa gas and pump is hammering to catch up and can’t. I have to letoff and coast for about 10 seconds before i have any throttle again.
I’ve already gone thru the carb and its clean as a whistle and floats adjusted correctly.

I have a Holley gear rotor pump (black) and find it works well and is quiet. It is on my 493, six pack engine.
Mike

Before you go through all this, pull your fuel pump push rod and check its length. If you say your fuel pump is hammering id definitely check that. When its worn and going bad one of the things that it happens is loss of fuel slowly at first. When these cars were built stock fuel pumps were designed to feed them enough. Just search fuel pump push rod on these forums and you will have plenty to read.

Fuel pump pushrods-Again

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back