• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inline fuel pump switch

MOEJOE7

Local time
5:58 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone, First time forum user. I have a 69 super bee that belonged to my dad. I can turn a wrench but am definitely not a mechanic. I currently have an inline fuel pump that is activated by a switch under the dash. I would like to have it turn on automatically when the key is turned. I know I need to use a relay but wondering where to hook it up? I know these old mopars have some finicky electronics (learned a lot installing an MSD ignition system). I have a full wiring diagram, just need to be pointed in the right direction.

IMG_20221109_231640_952.jpg

Just Google bosch relay wiring diagram

Hello everyone, First time forum user. I have a 69 super bee that belonged to my dad. I can turn a wrench but am definitely not a mechanic. I currently have an inline fuel pump that is activated by a switch under the dash. I would like to have it turn on automatically when the key is turned. I know I need to use a relay but wondering where to hook it up? I know these old mopars have some finicky electronics (learned a lot installing an MSD ignition system). I have a full wiring diagram, just need to be pointed in the right direction.

View attachment 1371488
Love that color. beautiful car.

I install my relays under my battery tray. Makes wiring from battery easy. Use 10ga wire. Then the wire from relay to pump I also use 10ga. Any key on wire will work to trigger relay and wire size for that is irrelevant. It just triggers relay, no load.

Good idea to leave a switch in the circuit. There are times when you want to turn the key to run but not be running the fuel pump.

Is that inline pump the main fuel pump? Or do you have a mechanical pump as well? A lot of guys install the inline fuel pump to prime the carb bowl after the car sits for a length of time. In that case you may want reconsider making that pump automatic with keyed ignition.

That’s a beautiful Superbee. Was actually my dad’s all time favorite Mopar, although he never actually owned one.

Welcome to the site. Be sure to post in the Welcome Wagon section so your ride gets the proper greeting it deserves.

I install my relays under my battery tray. Makes wiring from battery easy. Use 10ga wire. Then the wire from relay to pump I also use 10ga. Any key on wire will work to trigger relay and wire size for that is irrelevant. It just triggers relay, no load.
Thank you! That is the info I was looking for.

Thank you! That is the info I was looking for.
Moe, don't forget to answer the other questions. Is it a charge pump to be used for starting or is it the only pump to be running constantly?

Is that inline pump the main fuel pump? Or do you have a mechanical pump as well? A lot of guys install the inline fuel pump to prime the carb bowl after the car sits for a length of time. In that case you may want reconsider making that pump automatic with keyed ignition.

That’s a beautiful Superbee. Was actually my dad’s all time favorite Mopar, although he never actually owned one.

Welcome to the site. Be sure to post in the Welcome Wagon section so your ride gets the proper greeting it deserves.
Main fuel source. He used to drag it and said the factory couldn't keep up. I've since installed electronic ignition, holly 600 carb and holly mini Mite fuel pump. Everything runs great just trying to clean things up.

Great site. Can't believe the response and advice. Thanks guys!

Main fuel source. He used to drag it and said the factory couldn't keep up. I've since installed electronic ignition, holly 600 carb and holly mini Mite fuel pump. Everything runs great just trying to clean things up.

Great site. Can't believe the response and advice. Thanks guys!

Note the safety switch in post #7. Holley & Carter make them, Carter is cheaper & does the same job.

Take a look at a Standard Motor Products PS-64... It's an Oil Pressure switch from a Chevy Vega... It's the same switch Holley & Carter sell They weren't the only ones who figured out no oil pressure is bad....

Take a look at a Standard Motor Products PS-64... It's an Oil Pressure switch from a Chevy Vega... It's the same switch Holley & Carter sell They weren't the only ones who figured out no oil pressure is bad....
Thanks! I was about to wire in my new in tank pump/efi tank (carbureted application using a high pressure to low pressure regulator with bypass for return line) from tanks inc setup with a painless relay, but now after reading this I think I’ll source the ps-64 and a brass tee and do it this way instead.

i wonder if you can split the signal and pigtail off the low pressure leg on the ps-64 to power both the idiot light in the cluster and the to shut off the relay? I use a mechanical oil pressure guage.

Good info here.

For others the ps-64 is cheap on rock auto or Amazon. Around 13 bucks. A brass tee can be bought for 5 bucks elsewhere too.

I may still manually switch the leg from the sender (ps-64) to relay to act as a security measure. If someone wanting to steal the car can’t figure out how to turn on the pump they won’t get too far.

Last edited:
Thanks! I was about to wire in my new in tank pump/efi tank (carbureted application using a high pressure to low pressure regulator with bypass for return line) from tanks inc setup with a painless relay, but now after reading this I think I’ll source the ps-64 and a brass tee and do it this way instead.

i wonder if you can split the signal and pigtail off the low pressure leg on the ps-64 to power both the idiot light in the cluster and the to shut off the relay? I use a mechanical oil pressure guage.

Good info here.

For others the ps-64 is cheap on rock auto or Amazon. Around 13 bucks. A brass tee can be bought for 5 bucks elsewhere too.

I may still manually switch the leg from the sender (ps-64) to relay to act as a security measure. If someone wanting to steal the car can’t figure out how to turn on the pump they won’t get too far.
Have you looked at the part yet? Thats the beauty of this switch.. It has three contacts.. One is for the idiot light, the other two are for the pump circuit..

Amazon product ASIN B00153AZWY

Have you looked at the part yet? Thats the beauty of this switch.. It has three contacts.. One is for the idiot light, the other two are for the pump circuit..

Amazon product ASIN B00153AZWY
Thanks, I did. This how tanks inc shows to wire the three prong sender. I don’t see how there’s a terminal for the light? Also not sure why one leg is shown as going to starter circuit? Maybe that’s yo allowed the pump to work while cranking?

wiring is not my forte so any help is appreciated…

D28B4F77-C3D9-4E35-A82A-C532C7753A93.png

Auto Transport Service
Back