• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insane parts prices!

I personally love the guys that price everything more than double what the going rate is and then get offended if you offer below that going rate.

Like they're trying to shift the rules so they can play and you can't.

I have a very nice 70 GTX blue steering wheel & horn ring. I'm embarassed to even post if for close to what i've seem them go for on this site.

You echo what I wonder at Carlisle nearly every year, I'd love to know the "asking price" vs the selling price of a lot of parts and cars seen there. I sometimes suspect that there is a large difference. Or hope that there is. :praying:
It boggles my mind as well.
One year at Spring Fling, some guy had a swap space with just one thing. A single fender....For a 71 Cuda. Black with the gills punched in. $4000 and he claimed it was NOS.
I'm sure that others feel the same as I do...we are free to ask what we want but these guys simply insult everyone with these stupid asking prices.
Maybe they are fishing for the biggest idiot, the desperate, the more money than brains or the impatient buyer. Ebay is full of these dreamers and unfortunately, they are probably rewarded with the occasional sale to people who didn't do their research and see other vendors with similar items for sale MUCH cheaper.

I've noticed that "NOS" is a relative term as well, it seems to be used on any part that ever got within 1 mile of an actual car...

I've noticed that "NOS" is a relative term as well, it seems to be used on any part that ever got within 1 mile of an actual car...

NOS is right there with NUMBERS MATCHING when some people are trying to sell parts and it’s sometimes painfully obvious when they open their mouth. I just walk away and laugh.

I'm not saying that people should give their stuff away, but do some research, find out what the real market value is,price it with a little wiggle room,and get it sold! When I see the prices these days, I feel like saying "Welcome to Fantasy Island! Lol

A large part of this issue is that there are some who have made as business of selling used car parts and thus revenue generation is the priority. The problem is that so many want to make all their money on one sale rather than over a series of sales. They would rather sit on something for an extended period of time until that "one" guy/person pops up who has to have it and doesnt car what the price is. For these people I say "good luck".

Of course wherever there is money there is greed and corruption and it doesn't take much to fall down that rabbit hole so in too many cases people who start selling end up essentially selling their souls to get a sale without regard to anything. I have seen people at swap meets swearing that some part fits what the prospective customer is asking about when in fact that is definitely not the case. Some years ago I interceded on just such a situation and all hell broke loose with the seller screaming for the meet organizers to have me tossed. In the end not a lot happened but it was an unfortunate deal nonetheless. At least the customer didn't get screwed on that one (I however did because I bought a Mallory electric fuel pump and regulator from one of the vendors which turned out to be complete trash).

I love a lot of other cars not just old Mopars, I prefer muscle mopars but I have no problem building a Model A Ford if I want to either.

After all the rust clean up I've done I wouldn't mind supporting a small American manufacturer like Factory Five. It's shocking how much faster it is to bolt new parts together than to clean up old parts.

I have been saying for years that once the real NOS parts dry up,which is happening now,people will be charging NOS prices for reproduction parts that are discontinued, or no longer being produced.

Like the sign Banjo Matthews had on the wall in his shop: "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?" :lol:

But 5 grand for a single rear plastic molded interior rear door panel is just too fuckin high! We're really blowing the **** out of high prices! Lol

Another thing that pisses me off about all the swap meets is no one prices out there stuff. You have to ask only to find out it is some ridiculous price. You make an offer and they refuse and still want there insane asking prices. They won't even counter offer. I see many of these guys hauling the same stuff around for years and years.

Last year at Carlisle, I don't remember what part I was looking at, but I picked it up and asked him what he wanted for it,and his number absolutely floored me,I carefully placed it back down and backed away from the table! He started explaining why his part was so great and was worthy of his ludicrous price, and I said thanks but no thanks, I'm all set!

If prices are not marked I just keep walking, unless it's a part I need. Seems that a lot of the "price not marked" guys price according to customer appearance. More loaded you look the higher the price. Have actually seen this in practice firsthand @ Carlisle. That's why most folks who ask me about getting an "old car" nowadays I tell them be sure to get a whole running car, don't try to piece one together.

I put prices on everything so people can decide if the part is what they are looking for and is within the price range they are willing to spend on the part.

Last edited:
Sometimes I don't individually price things, but I take a stack of printed price lists and cross off things that sell.

This actually saves a shitload of time and can be adjusted from a computer vs dealing with tape or paint/grease pens.

The orange tins got out of hand because they quit making them. I settled for red as a placeholder and my order for the orange placed at the same time has never once been updated on status- about 15 months later.
I will have one I will be bringing to Carlisle. If that works for you, send me a PM.

I just saw a tuff wheel adapter on here for almost $300, I was pissed off when I had to pay $100 for one,and made my own by shortening an E body one which I had about 10 off them kicking around at the time.

Auto Transport Service
Back