• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insane parts prices!

Yep, just witnessed it myself yesterday at an all Mopar swap meet. Many of these guys are just nuts. This hobby is just getting priced right out of the next Generation to enjoy it. No one will even budge off of their prices either.
I have always found parts at that swap meet to be overpriced, so I don't go to it anymore. Plus, since I am from across the border, there is the exchange on our $, and declaring and paying taxes on the parts. I don't understand the vendors continuing to lug their unsold, overpriced parts from swap meet to swap meet. They must be counting on the "Bigger Fool" theory.

Listings like such are just there for the restoration shops desperate to finish a customers car. "Buy it now" and add it to the bill !

Yeah, crazy! A Dodge 440 Magnum NOS piece sold on here recently for $80.
Actually that part I don't believe sold if it was the one by Plymies... It went to his "neighbor"..

Listings like such are just there for the restoration shops desperate to finish a customers car. "Buy it now" and add it to the bill !
The intake is from Joe Balboa a mopar parts dealer/swap meet guy and the same guy who had some selling issues in New York and then moved to Florida.. His stuff is always up there...

This issue has always been present, there has always been the opportunists and profiteers who do nothing but look for desirable parts that they can exploit financially. The difference is that for quite a long time there were options, other sources, etc. so unless you needed the part today you could find it at a lower price eventually. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) many of these parts have dried up leaving only the D bags with their gold plated parts standing.

The 71 RT parts are interesting in that most or none of it is repopped and there were only so many of the cars made on top of this almost every person with a 71 Charger wants to make an RT clone or at least want the cool taillights.

I have a 71 Charger I am building and sure I'd like to have the taillights (no interest in the doors) but I refuse to pay $1500 for a set, I can live with the non-RT taillights.

I have been able to piece together taillight sets for as little as $500. Anytime I see lenses,bezels or housings for sale I grab them.

Come on guys it’s not 1988 anymore. Everything has gone up. Wages, taxes, mortgage, groceries, etc. Yes we all bought cars cheaply then compared to today.
we didn’t live in $750,000 houses then either.

Now these fools and their prices! Just don’t buy one thing from them and when the sell nothing for the month, they will have to come off of it.

Do the same for non fossil fuel vehicles. Don’t ever buy one, let them be stuck with them.

unless you like them then enjoy!

I took a bunch of stuff to Spring Fling a couple years ago to sell, not to show and transport back home. I bartered some but made sure the other guy took it home and not me. Git rid of a lot, had no offers on others.

I admit that if I could cobble together some of the RT taillights I certainly would but I am not so in love with them that I'd spend stupid money, at the end of the day they are just taillights.

One day I need to load up all the crap I have and drag it to a swap meet, I have a ton of stuff, a lot of E body and a lot of just general Mopar stuff. The real funny thing is I keep finding things that I don't remember getting.

Yeah: Asking prices are just that, however if it's a silly asking I just move on, I don't need anything so much that' I'll offer up my arse end to a seller. Die with them buddy.
The 71 R/T doors are cool and rare but guess what? I can make some dies and repro a set from standard skins if I need them, this stuff just takes time unless you're a wallet guy, then it just takes money.

Being north of the border, I do see some prices for new/repop items I could use that leave me scratching my head. However, it usually isn't the price of the item that kills me (unless it's NOS stuff).

The shipping costs are horrendous, which can sometimes be far more than the cost of the item itself.

I went to a couple local swap meets this past summer. Yeah the prices were stupid. And that's why I left with as much money as I came with.

Enjoy paying for your booth/table and then dragging it all back home. No skin off my:carrot:.

We could talk insane B body prices too, so I had to counteract that with the sale of the 70 Roadrunner to a member here. $4500 project car…yes, I probably could’ve gotten more, or made more money selling the parts separately, but I wanted it to go to someone who would maybe use it.

7B1B68AC-E883-4E87-B841-F353FD635195.jpeg

A5FBB428-9887-491B-BCE9-A8AAE2FDB55A.jpeg

Its all about being in the right place at the right time with cash. Every time I have been hot on the hunt for something I have paid way more than I should have, conversely every time I have waited I ended up getting a decent deal.

Sad thing is on the 1 year only stuff they kill you on it. Not to many people are going to be able to afford this hobby. The 70 charger will be my last car because when Im done I will be broke.

Afordable is what you make it. The rare matching number stuff is the high end. Plenty of ways to build something nice for less. The place to save the most is do your own labor. Fab and rebuild what you can. Learn to weld. Learn body work. Learn to build transmisions and engines. And yes parts are expensive. But sometimes you have to go without.
Doug

Come on guys it’s not 1988 anymore. Everything has gone up. Wages, taxes, mortgage, groceries, etc. Yes we all bought cars cheaply then compared to today.
we didn’t live in $750,000 houses then either.

Now these fools and their prices! Just don’t buy one thing from them and when the sell nothing for the month, they will have to come off of it.

Do the same for non fossil fuel vehicles. Don’t ever buy one, let them be stuck with them.

unless you like them then enjoy!
$6000 for a pair of used doors,sorry but that is just effing insane!

Saw an NOS dodge truck grille for sale…$2500. Now that rocked my plimsol!

$6000 for a pair of used doors,sorry but that is just effing insane!
Yes it is. And when nobody buys them then what? He can’t eat them, so the price will come down. Don’t spend money with these people.

Auto Transport Service
Back