• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Install New Lug Studs On New Drum

boboh1

Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
When installing new lug studs into the drum, do they just go in by pounding them in with a hammer?

A press is better

How are you removing the old ones?

And don’t forget left vs right. This is institutional knowledge that is dying. When I restored mine I switched them all over to right because bring it in somewhere for a rotation or balancing and how many techs are going to know these little idiosyncrasies ….?

I was thinking of removing the old ones put I would have to hammer those out too. If I install new ones they would be using right hand thread ones. Where can I go to have them pressed in?

I can only assume you're talking about the front HUB and drum assembly, as the only drums with studs in them are '65 back tapered axle units.

The studs are swagged into place. You need to cut the swag off before you press them out...

Yup easy to wreck the hub not doing it correctly

Is your only reason to do this that you want to swap them to right hand threads, or are the existing buggered up? There are no shortage of left hand thread lug nuts available, both OE/NOS and aftermarket.

These aren't in order but tell you how to change studs. Think I put in 2 that are the same.
drumray5.jpg
drumray6.jpg
drumray7.jpg
drumray8.jpg
drumray9.jpg

The drums are getting thin and wanted to put new ones in there. Could not find any that already had the studs installed. Those directions state not to use the old ones due to safety concerns.

1709248827077.png
Lang Tools sells a real nice stud installer kit.

NAPA auto parts can do this
for you, and sometimes free
if you buy the drums and
studs from them.
Same with axle and pinion
bearings.

Auto Transport Service
Back